JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WT Library vs. WOL - Copy/Paste Results

The WT library on disk (installed on pc) allows the user to right click and select "copy with caption."  The results are perfect.  You get the date of the publication, the publication abbreviation, title and, selected text all in a reasonable sized font ready to print for research projects and meetings. 

When I use WOL  the copied text does NOT provide the date or publication  (there is no "copy with caption" option) and, the large heading font needs to be changed.  It also highlights the original search terms and makes editing far more labor intensive.  Because of this, I find myself avoiding WOL and relying on my pc copy.

I suspect there is no fix for this because of the contrast between the standalone vs. live software.  However, if I am missing something, could you please let me know if there is remedy for this?

Thanks!

WT Library on disk results

*** g95 4/22 p. 4 Are We Living in the Last Days? ***
Are We Living in the Last Days?
THE phrase “critical times hard to deal with” is translated from the Greek kai·roiʹ kha·le·poiʹ. (2 Timothy 3:1) The word kha·le·poiʹ is the plural of a word that literally means “fierce” and carries the thought of menace and danger. One Bible commentator says the word refers to a “tremendous assault of evil.” Therefore, while previous eras experienced turmoil, “the last days” would be extraordinarily savage. As 2 Timothy 3:13 puts it, “wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.”

WOL results

THE phrase “critical times hard to deal with” is translated from the Greek kai·roiʹ kha·le·poiʹ. (2 Timothy 3:1) The word kha·le·poiʹ is the plural of a word that literally means “fierce” and carries the thought of menace and danger. One Bible commentator says the word refers to a “tremendous assault of evil.” Therefore, while previous eras experienced turmoil, “the last days” would be extraordinarily savage. As 2 Timothy 3:13 puts it, “wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.”

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Loje said:

The WT library on disk (installed on pc) allows the user to right click and select "copy with caption."  The results are perfect.  You get the date of the publication, the publication abbreviation, title and, selected text all in a reasonable sized font ready to print for research projects and meetings. 

When I use WOL  the copied text does NOT provide the date or publication  (there is no "copy with caption" option) and, the large heading font needs to be changed.  It also highlights the original search terms and makes editing far more labor intensive.  Because of this, I find myself avoiding WOL and relying on my pc copy.

I suspect there is no fix for this because of the contrast between the standalone vs. live software.  However, if I am missing something, could you please let me know if there is remedy for this?

Thanks!

WT Library on disk results

*** g95 4/22 p. 4 Are We Living in the Last Days? ***
THE phrase “critical times hard to deal with” is translated from the Greek kai·roiʹ kha·le·poiʹ. (2 Timothy 3:1) The word kha·le·poiʹ is the plural of a word that literally means “fierce” and carries the thought of menace and danger. One Bible commentator says the word refers to a “tremendous assault of evil.” Therefore, while previous eras experienced turmoil, “the last days” would be extraordinarily savage. As 2 Timothy 3:13 puts it, “wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.”

WOL results

THE phrase “critical times hard to deal with” is translated from the Greek kai·roiʹ kha·le·poiʹ. (2 Timothy 3:1) The word kha·le·poiʹ is the plural of a word that literally means “fierce” and carries the thought of menace and danger. One Bible commentator says the word refers to a “tremendous assault of evil.” Therefore, while previous eras experienced turmoil, “the last days” would be extraordinarily savage. As 2 Timothy 3:13 puts it, “wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.”

If your objective is to put quotes on this forum is always best to put a link to the quote so that the others can read the context of they want. That is not possible with the library

The best way to avoid the problem with wol you mentioned is to remove formatting after pasting. You can do that with the button "Tx" on the far right of the editor .

Or you can just press on the black bar that shows after pasting. This:

image.png.29e1e1ddfe97f5d09b617948aa5cc3fe.png

After or before you copy the link, like this: First click on the paragraph - it will become purple and the link will change ( that way when someone clicks the link he is directed to the paragraph on question and it will be highlighted)

image.thumb.png.16e52c4ad6743b8fadb5861b42ddfcb4.png

Since the latest version of windows 10, this two copies and past are now easier (it was already possible in android with different keyboards)

After copying the link and text in a row you past the two in a row also with the new clipboard utility

image.png.bbdc58a73dcc6da4d9ac45b25829986c.png

45 minutes ago, Loje said:

g95 4/22 p. 4

When quoting an article, as mentioned in an earlier post, it is great to include a link, which cannot be done with WT Library! This does not mean it isn’t a great resource for your personal, offline studying. Here is a tip, in addition to what’s mentioned above. You can copy your link, g95 4/22 p. 4, into the search field at wol.jw.org. The result will be a nice little “lookup” page with only that result. You can post the link to that result.

Another great reason to do this is that any reader can quickly find the material in his own language.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Loje said:

selected text all in a reasonable sized font ready to print for research projects and meetings

From this comment, I gather your question was in reference to "general pasting" the text into various apps on your local computer for printing and/or personal study - not a question about pasting text/links into this (or any other) forum.

If that is the case, while it won't help with the citation information, on your PC, when you want to paste the coppied text into an app - right click and look for the "paste as plain text" option or use Crtl+Shift+V to paste the text.It will remove any formatting from the origin site and paste with the default setting for the destination app.

As a side point, using the "paste as plain text" option also helps when pasting text into this forum - since it will pate the text in a format that is readable for those using light and dark mode without the reader having to highlight the text to make it visible.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

But this does not help when compiling a series of quotes for talk prep when you are quickly locating a thought, word or scripture for further review after a half-hour of study. The DVD puts the caption so you can locate or sort the references by date.

True. The WOL is intended for a different way of researching. Also, many people no longer use stationary computers or even laptops for their research, but are content with their phones or tablets. The equivalent WOL would look something like this: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=jehovah+searches+hearts&p=par&r=newest

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

55 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

If your objective is to put quotes on this forum is always best to put a link to the quote so that the others can read the context of they want. That is not possible with the library

On the forum, I would use a link.  I was interested in this feature for personal study projects.

14 minutes ago, Qapla said:

If that is the case, while it won't help with the citation information, on your PC, when you want to paste the coppied text into an app - right click and look for the "paste as plain text" option or use Crtl+Shift+V to paste the text.It will remove any formatting from the origin site and paste with the default setting for the destination app.

Yes, removing formatting while pasting removes that issue with an extra step but, it doesn't help with the the date and pub issue.

11 minutes ago, jwhess said:

But this does not help when compiling a series of quotes for talk prep when you are quickly locating a thought, word or scripture for further review after a half-hour of study. The DVD puts the caption so you can locate or sort the references by date.

Exactly.

The main issue is the absence of the source ie: pub date, publication.  Of course, I can copy the title separately or, jot it down but, as mentioned it is more labor intensive than simply clicking "paste" and having everything fall neatly in place. 

The WT library spoiled me!  Two clicks (copy and paste) and I was done.  

Thanks for your tips.

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

I'm sure our friends work so hard behind the scenes slowly adding more and more features. I have no doubt in time we will have many 'bells and whistles' that we have not even thought of yet.
I look at how many features we have now compared to the original releases.
This tests our patience, but let us not forget how great it is already...
I remember when it was just a baby... 1259a892a8f281392db39d81a8e67506.jpg

Just Older