JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Aluminum cookware is bad for you!

7 hours ago, Qapla said:

The whole idea of the clay pots are not the looks ... or trying to "build flavor" in the pot. It is to cook dishes with very little added liquid and have them turn out juicy and moist.

In order to do this, the clay pot is filled with water and let to stand until the pot looks wet on the outside. The water is then poured out, the food added and put in a cold oven. Then turn the oven on and allow the pot and the food to heat up at the same time. If you put the clay pot in an already hot oven the pot will break.

If you used a pot that was glazed on the outside it would defeat the way they work.

The pot should be thoroughly cleaned after use so it does not grow bacteria ... so having it absorb flavors could shorten the life of the pot.

That method sounds lovely John.

Japanese don't wash out their teapots - so flavours are enhanced ... those are often glazed on the outside ... and the teapot is passed down to generations - bacteria won't grow if you are using the right seasonings ... I want to develop recipes that would last generations ... Indians also have certain curries that are made from a base that is held for generations - and each time it's used the flavour is enhanced. So that's the road I was going down. 

Tagine Cooking is also something I'd like to try.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Masala Wheels serves up Indian and Sri Lankan dishes, and even has a special Sri Lankan Banana Leaf promotion on Saturdays.

Back to nature. Nothing feels so authentic as eating on a banana leaf meal at an Indian restaurant. Using your hands will really enhance the flavor of the food. 

Nasi Lemak, Coconut Rice from Singapore and Malaysia

I like my coconut milk infused rice (nasi lemak) wrapped in banana leaves as a take away food. Adds another layer of fragrance.

58 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Back to nature. Nothing feels so authentic as eating on a banana leaf meal at an Indian restaurant. Using your hands will really enhance the flavor of the food. 

I like my coconut milk infused rice (nasi lemak) wrapped in banana leaves as a take away food. Adds another layer of fragrance.

You still use aluminum and melamine, as the container for seasonings and chilli sauce. But that menu look like very delicious.

Edited by tuntun

@JennyM  Don't be too much of a hurry to dispose of your aluminium cookware, read this article first. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-you-shouldnt-wrap-you_b_9622502

The writer is Ghada Bassioni, Ain Shams University. (Associate Professor & Head of Chemistry Department)

Article is updated on Dec 06, 2017

It says that using aluminium pots and pans isn't a bad thing but using aluminium foil would be problematic.

image.thumb.png.858f0d0f88e50dc9d566af1c474d0507.png

There are studies that show that cooking in aluminum is "bad" ... there are studies that show that cooking in aluminum is "safe"

Like my nephew is fond of saying ... statistics, the only math that does lie

Since there are conflicting studies all done by "reputable" people and institutions - you just have to make up your own mind. It is not our place to tell others how they should or shouldn't cook their food or what to cook it in.

I found one site that listed the "problems" with every type of cooking material there is ... they even listed problems with reheating food in plastic and plastic wrap - the only one they found safe was food grade silicone.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

There are studies that show that cooking in aluminum is "bad" ... there are studies that show that cooking in aluminum is "safe"

Yes, that's the point with everything. Some substances are clearly dangerous and there's a general consensus that they must be avoided: plumb, mercury, asbestos. Those are beyond any question. But for most others there are lots of studies with contradictory conclusions. In the end you need to decide what you will use because you need something to cook your food on. :)

The problem with these ideas published in our magazines is that the brothers didn't take them simply as health suggestions but as a question of integrity. If the Slave has said that aluminum is dangerous I prefer to die than to cook on aluminum ware. :shrugs:

Look at that article from August 1937 that John posted. The friends were in a prison in the city of Lagrange that more seemed like a Nazi concentration camp. They were forced to work during the day and at night had to sleep on "indescribably filthy mattresses in close proximity to the city's official manure pile". Sometimes they were sprinkled with cow urine while they were sleeping. There were no toilets and they were only given warm water to drink. The only food they were given every day were wormy peas. But, o the horror, the indescribable atrocity, the worst of all is that some of those peas were cooked in aluminum pots! No surprise that some of them were sick, vomiting or suffering from dyssentery, no doubt due to the aluminum! Of course the wormy food and the dirty water didn't have anything to do with that. :shrugs:

Fortunately things have changed a lot for the better. Most of the friends now understand that any information about health in our publications is just a suggestion based on the studies of some scientists, not a teaching from the Slave. And our publications, on the other hand, are very careful not to recommend any specific treatment.

Edited by carlos

You still use aluminum

Those are stainless steel sauce bowls. I don't think restaurants use aluminium ware anymore. Easily dented and stainless steel containers are very cheap, courtesy of China. Poor quality ones though.

https://www.collective-evolution.com/2018/04/27/82-year-old-woman-with-dementia-gets-her-memory-back-after-changing-her-diet/

As more and more awareness grows involving the true causes of these neurodegenerative brain disorders, the more we can do our part to prevent and even treat them and hopefully, eventually eliminate things such as aluminum and other chemicals in our foods to prevent this disease from happening altogether.

Please share this article with anyone you know who knows someone who is suffering from dementia or Alzheimer’s.

All this talk about aluminum cookware and no one has mentioned all the aluminum cans that food and drink comes in ... even the "negative studies" I have seen only seem to mention cookware and foil ... not cans.

Since the only cure to prevent the ailments of this system is the Kingdom - we will never eliminate the causes of most of the things that afflict us.

Also, what if all these "chemicals in our food" were eliminated and other problems/ailments popped up because some of what the studies said were "harmful" ended up being needed ... this has happened in the past.

Instead of me spending each day fearing cookware and other things that are supposed to be harmful - I will lean on Jehovah and spend my time trying to increase my knowledge of His word instead of my knowledge of conflicting worldly studies.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just to make everyone feel better  

The phosphoric acid in soft drinks is contiually attacking the aluminum can. I had about  case of Coke and 7Up stowed away on my boat. I was doing a deep clean and moved the pop cans. They had all developed a leak and all were empty. I don't know how long, it may have taken 4 years. Coke makes a great aluminum cleaner.

Have a happy day!:D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Old said:

Just to make everyone feel better  

The phosphoric acid in soft drinks is contiually attacking the aluminum can. I had about  case of Coke and 7Up stowed away on my boat. I was doing a deep clean and moved the pop cans. They had all developed a leak and all were empty. I don't know how long, it may have taken 4 years. Coke makes a great aluminum cleaner.

Have a happy day!:D

I like to drink Cola. But don't try to drink it often. this is abrasive enough to clean the dirt on the porcelain and bathroom toilet.