JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Aluminum cookware is bad for you!

In the 1930s and 40s there were many of us that learned aluminum cookware was bad, very poisonous. My mother went from pyrex (wwII)  to stainless steel rather than use readily avaiable aluminum cookware. Even in later years she totally avoided aluminum. This attitude  was based on articles in our Consolation magazine (predicessor to Awake!)

Anyone remember those anti-aluminum years? Are any still avoiding aluminum cook ware? Was the idea ever retracted or did it just go away?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 minute ago, Old said:

In the 1930s and 40s there were many of us that learned aluminum cookware was bad, very poisonous. My mother went from pyrex (wwII)  to stainless steel rather than use readily avaiable aluminum cookware. Even in later years she totally avoided aluminum. This attitude  was based on articles in our Consolation magazine (predicessor to Awake!)

Anyone remember those anti-aluminum years? Are any still avoiding aluminum cook ware? Was the idea ever retracted or did it just go away?

What did they use to say were the consequences of using aluminum cookware?

Aluminium is one of the most prolifec elements in our soil ... normal exposure to it is not harmful ... there is a school of thought that you can't absorb via oral contact, but another school of thought says it gives people alzheimers and if you have poor kidney function or the liver is not doing it's job it can become toxic to that person. I remember when Mum stopped using them and went to stainless steel with copper bottoms. 

Yet we cook often with aluminium foil - so not sure why that isn't dangerous and cookware is? Maybe it was absorbed in a different way?

Whereas Copper cookware is beneficial because copper kills off bad bacteria ... in fact, if you can obtain a copper cauldron - you can cook your meal for eons because the rounded bottom of the cauldron will stop your food from burning and the copper would prevent any bad bacteria from forming ... I want a copper cauldron in the New System. (Like the Japanese Tea Ceremony where each time you pour a tea from the teapot it adds to the flavour - you aren't meant to wash teapots - just let the flavours compound over many years) ... I want to do a stew that is being forever added to and people can just take it from the cauldron when they are hungry - how practical this is in reality I guess I will find out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 minutes ago, luisenriquereyes said:

What did they use to say were the consequences of using aluminum cookware?

Sickness and possible premature death in the longterm. This was an accepted 'truth' on the part of many in that generation. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I found this article to be informative concerning aluminum cookware and other sources of aluminum that could be harmful. I would post content but am very sleepy right now..https://www.cancerschmancer.org/blog/fran/how-toxic-aluminum-cookware

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

15 minutes ago, .Ivan. said:

I have stainless steel, cast iron and aluminium cookware..
Didnt know alumunium can be harmful..
It is popular because its lightweight and easy to wash..

Please, I did not say it was harmful :D, my questions were 

"Anyone remember those anti-aluminum years?" 

"Are any still avoiding aluminum cook ware?" (Based on the opinions from the magazines)

"Was the idea ever retracted or did it just go away?"

17 minutes ago, Old said:

Please, I did not say it was harmful :D, my questions were 

"Anyone remember those anti-aluminum years?" 

"Are any still avoiding aluminum cook ware?" (Based on the opinions from the magazines)

"Was the idea ever retracted or did it just go away?"

But it is in the Title of your Topic  

Aluminum cookware is bad for you..😁

Spoiler

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

But my own personal belief is that the title is true..

Many years ago I cooresponded with a chemistry professor by the name of Harold D. Foster because my brother was paranoid schizophrenic and he wrote a book on it. He also authored books on Aids, MS, and Alzheimers.

I asked what he believed the real proven cause of alzheimers was, because mercury was the common thought at that time.

His definitive answer was aluminum..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I have always understood aluminum cookware to be harmful particularly because heat is involved. I only use surgical stainless steel and cast iron, my real favorite is the cast iron. You can really get a good crust on a burger or on scallops. 

I agree Dove, the article linked below shows just how much aluminum is in our everyday life. Not just in the cookware but in many many other things and if it is so toxic to the human body why on earth are people putting it in products? Personally I'm still unsure if I will use the one 12 in. aluminum professional pan that my husband bought me. I'm not certain if it's a sealed pan or not.

Great information:

https://www.livestrong.com/

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

4 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Yeah there are underarm deodorants that contain aluminium too aren't there?

I will stick with baking soda for deoderant..I don't think applying aluminum on lymph nodes under the arm is smart..I have wondered if it could contribute to breast cancer...The link I posted above mentioned some aluminum cookware that supposedly is safe..https://www.cancerschmancer.org/blog/fran/how-toxic-aluminum-cookware

cat2_e0.gif

12 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Yeah there are underarm deodorants that contain aluminium too aren't there?

Yes, many of them contain aluminum chlorohydrate I think it is. I have not used commercial deodorants for many years because of that fact. There's a sister of ours who makes really good homemade deodorant.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Not to be pokeing a finger but I remember one time a older brother made the comment that he had not used deodorents for many years, the rest of the car group rolled there eyes an quietly nodded in agreement.  :)

Edited by Old

11 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

Yes, many of them contain aluminum chlorohydrate I think it is. I have not used commercial deodorants for many years because of that fact. There's a sister of ours who makes really good homemade deodorant.

:offtopic: 

https://kaianaturals.com/does-antiperspirant-cause-breast-cancer/

HIGH LEVELS OF SEX HORMONE MAY BE LINKED TO BREAST

CANCER

Estrogen is the primary female sex hormone and plays an important role in the development and regulation of the female reproductive system, including the breasts. Researchers from the University of Thessaly, Greece, found that aluminum chloride found in antiperspirants could increase estrogen receptors (ER) and estrogen gene expression in breast tissue.

Why does that matter?

Several studies have shown that high levels of estrogen have been linked to breast cancer cell growth. Estrogen has been shown to stimulate cancer growth in estrogen receptor (ER) positive breast cancer. Approximately 65% of breast cancer patients have ER positive breast cancer.

cat2_e0.gif

Continuing totally off topic, the older deodorants such as Ban Roll On left deposit in my t-shirts. After much time the clot would be too big for comfort and I would throw the t-shirt into the rag bin.

Back to topic: anyone remember those times? :)

16 minutes ago, Old said:

Continuing totally off topic, the older deodorants such as Ban Roll On left deposit in my t-shirts. After much time the clot would be too big for comfort and I would throw the t-shirt into the rag bin.

Back to topic: anyone remember those times? :)

Ewwwwww😳

To reflect on old (out-of-date) memories of the earlier publications which are 80 years old....here just a few clips from our prior article in the Golden Age and Consolation magazines.

Youo can see how vigorously our organization despised the aluminum cookware.  many old Circuit Overseers and special servants refused to eat from such pots and pans.  We had Br. Carey Barber as a CO and the family he was staying with had to go out and by all new cookware the Monday he and his wife Sydney came to stay with them (early 1970s).

al6 1937.JPG

al5 1937.JPG

al4 1937.JPG

al1 1942.JPG

al2 1846.JPG

al3 1937.JPG

Um, we have stopped using aluminum tin foil to cook with. It dawned on me, if aluminum cookware is not good, why on earth are we using tin foil. In cooking, anyway. 
I still use it, but there is no heat involved. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I well remember the problem with not using stainless steel. My dad sold pots and pans when he was newly married. We never ate out of aluminum pots. I still hold to using stainless but Grumpy bought some new pans. I don't know the name of them. I personally like cast iron. But I'm not the boss.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

3 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Aluminium is one of the most prolifec elements in our soil ... normal exposure to it is not harmful ... there is a school of thought that you can't absorb via oral contact, but another school of thought says it gives people alzheimers and if you have poor kidney function or the liver is not doing it's job it can become toxic to that person. I remember when Mum stopped using them and went to stainless steel with copper bottoms. 

Yet we cook often with aluminium foil - so not sure why that isn't dangerous and cookware is? Maybe it was absorbed in a different way?

Whereas Copper cookware is beneficial because copper kills off bad bacteria ... in fact, if you can obtain a copper cauldron - you can cook your meal for eons because the rounded bottom of the cauldron will stop your food from burning and the copper would prevent any bad bacteria from forming ... I want a copper cauldron in the New System. (Like the Japanese Tea Ceremony where each time you pour a tea from the teapot it adds to the flavour - you aren't meant to wash teapots - just let the flavours compound over many years) ... I want to do a stew that is being forever added to and people can just take it from the cauldron when they are hungry - how practical this is in reality I guess I will find out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Who judges between the good and the bad bacteria? Is this before or after ‘the days are cut short’?

I was once offered coffee while painting a policeman’s house and totally failed to say “Is it proper coffee from a proper copper’s copper coffee pot?”

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Yes, I remember those days ...

I also remember further studies that said anodized aluminum was safe and "cheap uncoated" pans were the culprits. Then there was the information that, due to a different process and the pureness of the metal, aluminum foil is safe (it should be noted that "tin" foil has not been used since shortly after WWII)

I also remember "studies" showing "proof" that is is unhealthy to cook in:

• Glass
  • Clay
  • Cast Iron
  • Stainless Steel
  • Teflon and other non-stick coatings
  • Corning
  • Parchment Paper
  • Silicone
  • and the list goes on ...

There has never been any actual proof that any of these cookwares have ever caused Alzheimer's - yet, as one article I read says, the myths continue -

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I stopped using aluminum foil to cook with a few years ago. There are numerous studies on pubmed linking aluminum neurotoxicity to increases in cognitive disorders and dementia. What's even worse is that aluminum synergizes with mercury amalgam from tooth fillings to deadlier effect. Many people's bodies, particular those with chronic illness, are unable to effectively flush out heavy metals these days because of western diets and lifestyle adding too much for their body to be able to effectively deal with.

Regarding deodorant, I like Schmidt's because it's Fragrance Free. It works well and has nice ingredients, not abrasive or damaging to skin like baking soda alone. I found it locally at the organic store and it isn't very expensive there. https://www.amazon.com/Schmidts-Natural-Deodorant-Fragrance-Free-Aluminum-Free/dp/B018K3RMUY