JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Aluminum cookware is bad for you!

Everything You Need to Know About Cooking in Banana Leaves | It's the secret to perfectly cooked fish—and it's just fun to eat.

I now use banana leaves in place of aluminium foil for baking purposes. Adds an extra layer of aroma to the food although I don't notice it. I might used a layer of foil on the outside to secure a full proof seal. I get my banana leaves from my Indian friend, 3 doors away or in the playing field near my house (2 minute away)

Lo mai gai, the dim sum classic of steamed lotus leaves stuffed with sticky rice and all sorts of delicious goodies, are irresistible. The biggest task is gathering all the ingredients, like the lotus leaves and glutinous rice, as well as Chinese sausage, cured pork belly, and salted egg yolks. Once you've got them rounded up, though, it's a relatively easy and extremely delicious at-home dish.

I also like to eat sticky rice (glutinous) dumpling wrapped in lotus leaves (the one on the left). This kind of leaf  adds a lingering flavor on the dish. 

Here in this country people often use plastic wrapping for  very hot food. Dangerous to the health.

Didn't go off topic, did I?

Edited by M'Awan

3 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

I get my banana leaves from my Indian friend, 3 doors away or in the playing field near my house (2 minute away)

Are you sure those public banana leaves are free of insecticides and/or other harmful contaminants that could/would be far more harmful than aluminum?

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Stainless steel contains a minimum of 11% chromium plus molybdenum.  These are toxic chemicals as well.  In use with pots they are subject to heat.  Just saying it is a dangerous world and we should realize that this subject is basically founded on personal choice and not rules laid down by the GB...:sunshine:

Can't be sure but the neighhours plant the plants for use in the kitchen. So hopefully no one unwittingly sprayed pesticides on them. I have never come across organic banana leaves. A good idea to start such a wholesome enterprise. Or maybe just help out in a community garden project.

6 minutes ago, M'Awan said:

Unlike metal, iron and steel cookware, pure earthenware doesn’t react with food. It is one of the healthiest ways of cooking, but make sure you choose unglazed clay pots for maximum benefits. Why don’t you try making this traditional family favorite #Chicken #Curry along with #Royal #BasmatiRice for dinner? #ClayPotCooking

One Indian sister told me that it is good (flavorsome) to use clay pots to cook spicy food. One pot for each type of curry. Not too sure about the health effects of clay though. 

It might depend on whether they are glazed or not.  Some glazes look nice but are toxic...

Clay pots, the unglazed ones, are filled with water and left to sit till they look wet on the outside. They need very little or no liquid in with the food to cook the food and keep it moist. However, it depends on where the clay pots come from ... they have found that some pots on the market hove high levels of lead in the clay and should not be used to cook with - only thing is, not all post are labeled as to their suitability for cooking.

I have heard from people in the know that aluminum cookware can contribute to a shorter life, I fully recognize had I been carefull I might be 91 instead of 81, wish I had known.

OOPS I have the dreaded underline symptom,   Help me !!! Help me, help me!  ( in the voice of tiny spider)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I remember as a kid that aluminium utensils were used everywhere in the Soviet Union. We even had aluminium spoons and cups. Later when I learnt that aluminium is harmful I stopped using them, and would urge everyone to get rid of theirs. However, it is still common to see aluminium pots and pans on sale. I think local production has ceased, and now they are mostly imported from China where people seem to be Ok with it. 

We also had cast-iron pots and pans in those days, but they were much more expensive. Today some health-conscious people seek out Soviet-made cast-iron utensils for their quality and try to buy them second-hand even for a high price. It is a good thing I inherited from my mum some woks and frying pans from those days.  :)

We in the 3rd world  are being bombarded by toxins all around us. I suspect that the Waterworks Department in this country at times, uses aluminium sulfate to clarify the water supply before it is channeled into consumers' homes

Most of the water supply anyway, is for industries.  

http://www.littlesaint.org/misc_documents/alum_phosphorous_control_dnr.pdf 

ALUM (aluminum sulfate) is a nontoxic material commonly used in water treatment plants to clarify drinking water.

In early 90's, we've been using earthenware or claypot but  for some reasons , many people stop to use it and replaced it to aluminum... lightweight and easier to clean.. No wonder why people develop cancer nowadays. My greatgrandmothers never develop one.. They just naturally and suddenly... heart stopped while shes eating..... nowadays people die while suffering of illnesses.. 

From what I've read the main cause of cancer is the use of plastic as food and drink containers. Especially when the type of plastic used is not the type that can used repeatedly.

Our family has lived with aluminum cookware for almost half a century, there have never been any serious health problems with that.

But certainly cooking with cookware made of aluminum is better than aluminum foil.

I can't say I "remember" those times since I was not around then but I have read some of those articles. The friends at the time were obsessed with several silly health issues. I guess it was not just the friends but people in general.

Sometimes I have felt ashamed when people have pointed to some ridiculous things that were published in our magazines at the time. But something I have learned more recently is that it was not really the organization that said those things. The Consolation magazine contained basically letters from readers, and it seems all kinds of viewpoints were allowed. 

I was researching what our publications had said about one specific subject regarding which I had read some really exaggerate and ridiculous quotations. Then I discovered that those were only letters sent by people. Not only that, in the same issue there were letters against and in favor of that practice. I think this is how many silly ideas were spread among Christians at the time: they took those comments as being spiritual food from the Slave, but they were only ignorant people's opinions. I think aluminum was one of those.

Edited by carlos

9 hours ago, Qapla said:

Yes, I remember those days ...

I also remember further studies that said anodized aluminum was safe and "cheap uncoated" pans were the culprits. Then there was the information that, due to a different process and the pureness of the metal, aluminum foil is safe (it should be noted that "tin" foil has not been used since shortly after WWII)

I also remember "studies" showing "proof" that is is unhealthy to cook in:

• Glass
  • Clay
  • Cast Iron
  • Stainless Steel
  • Teflon and other non-stick coatings
  • Corning
  • Parchment Paper
  • Silicone
  • and the list goes on ...

There has never been any actual proof that any of these cookwares have ever caused Alzheimer's - yet, as one article I read says, the myths continue -

Hmmm... Everyone eats... and everyone dies...   🤔

EVERYONE STOP,  WAIT!!!

20 hours ago, rocket said:

Save the New World, I'm gonna die in a few years or decades no matter what I cook in so I'm not gonna worry about it. :lol1:

But you don't look a day over twen ... oh wait, sorry - was thinking of the other mod .... the bald one ... oh maybe that one is not ... aaah forget it - I need glasses.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

20 hours ago, jwhess said:

It might depend on whether they are glazed or not.  Some glazes look nice but are toxic...

Just glaze on the outside leaving the inside rough so it absorbs flavours and add to each subsequent meal.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The whole idea of the clay pots are not the looks ... or trying to "build flavor" in the pot. It is to cook dishes with very little added liquid and have them turn out juicy and moist.

In order to do this, the clay pot is filled with water and let to stand until the pot looks wet on the outside. The water is then poured out, the food added and put in a cold oven. Then turn the oven on and allow the pot and the food to heat up at the same time. If you put the clay pot in an already hot oven the pot will break.

If you used a pot that was glazed on the outside it would defeat the way they work.

The pot should be thoroughly cleaned after use so it does not grow bacteria ... so having it absorb flavors could shorten the life of the pot.