JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower (Study) January 2020

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1582 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Yes. I'm sure the GB wanted the year text to be known just at the AM. The appearence of that thumbnail was surelly a mistake and now we're spoiled :)

It’s not a mistake. The thumbnail was published in proper order. You might hear an explanation at the AM, though.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 9/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, Juanlazalah said:

The year text will be “Go make disciples... baptizing them”. (Mt 28:19). 

Could this be the new monthly theme?Could the GB had a monthly theme to each month, like we had on the kingdom ministry a few years ago? Can anyone confirm that it is the year text?

12 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

Could this be the new monthly theme?Could the GB had a monthly theme to each month, like we had on the kingdom ministry a few years ago? Can anyone confirm that it is the year text?

I hope it is only a monthly theme. I don't want it as year text🙈

19 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Yes. I'm sure the GB wanted the year text to be known just at the AM. The appearence of that thumbnail was surelly a mistake and now we're spoiled :)

Im would say its not a mistake that is online but no one was to see til after the AGM.

The watchtower study will keep our minds on the important things during the great tribulation and the things that come after it,  that is why the study articles are so far in advance, so there is no reason why we should think that this system will go on and on, it does not mean that because we have material to study going into 6 months in advance this system will go on. We have to keep on praying and keeping our faith strong that the God in whom we TRUST will bring His Kingdom sooner than we think it to be, So TRUST in JEHOVAH and His SON JESUS CHRIST to bring the KINGDOM on earth as soon as possible. KEEP YOUR FAITH STRONG MY DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:16 AM, Thesauron said:

No, the brothers are fully aware that the thumbnails are publicly visible.

My wife was fully aware the show she had surprise tickets for me was advertised online, too, but she still was mad when i went online to intentionally snoop to find where we were going. 

Do I dare make another comment similar to one made on another thread.

These images are publicly visible.  That is true.  But you will not find them in your normal everyday browsing of jw.org.  You have to "snoop" to find them.  Or in other words, you have to poke your nose in where it doesn't belong.

To illustrate:  I invite you to my home for tea and refreshments.  You enjoy the tea and we have a nice time.  Does that give you permission to go snooping around my bedroom and through my cupboards.  No.  Likewise we are invited to enjoy using jw.org.  But does that mean we can go through other parts of the servers that are not yet on the site?

A real-life illustration.  When I took my driving test, I did not tell anyone - not my parents, nor my best friend.  Two reasons - I wanted to keep it a surprise, and I was worried I might fail.  After my test, I went to the home of my best friend to surprise them with my news.  I had it all planed out how I would reveal my good news.  When I got there, they already knew.  How?   A sister had spotted me at the test centre and told everyone.  By doing so she took away my joy and ruined the surprise.  It was not her news to tell, it was my news to tell. (She also had no way of knowing if I had passed or failed, so she may have caused me embarrassment if I had to them explain to everyone I had actually failed by driving test)

What's my point.  In this instance it appears that the 2020 yeartext has been revealed.  It was not our place to reveal it.   It is the GB brothers who will tell us at the AM.  You have taken away their privilege and joy in telling us.   So even if you do come across something in your snooping around, before reaching for the mouse, think and consider: Is this really something I should post and reveal?  Is it my really my place to do so?  Or is it best to leave it and wait for the faithful slave to reveal it.

As elders ,we know the importance of confidentiality.  Ok, so the yeartext is not life and death information, and may not be considered a big deal.  Still it was confidential information that should have remained so until the proper time. 

There is also another point.  That is why do we feel the need to post these images?  And the answer will be a personal one.  Is it for encouragement?   Or is it for some personal glory?  Sometimes it could be like hearing a juicy bit of gossip (or in this case, seeing it) and you just have to tell someone else.  Speculation is one thing.  Revealing yet-to-be-released information is another.

That is all I am saying on the matter.  I may have some of you who agree.  I may have some who hate me because of it.

Br. Jonathan, I agree with you on the leaking bit. I don't think it is good to reveal info that has not yet been made public. 

As for the "snooping" for images on a pubic website, I don't think your analogy with your bedroom is a fitting one. Your bedroom is your private area, and you rightly say that nobody should go around it snooping. In contrast, the jw.org is a public website that is open for use by anyone. The search operators that we use to find images only pull up publicly available info. There is nothing wrong with it. It should not be seen as hacking or something of the sort. 

32 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

That is all I am saying on the matter.  I may have some of you who agree.  I may have some who hate me because of it.

Jonathan, I don't disagree with most of your points but I view this differently.

If you invite me to your home and you have pictures of your family on the walls, I understand I can look at those pics, because they are on the wall.

The information that is on a public server is public. You cannot put an announcement on the announcements board and tell the brothers not to look at it until the next month. If it's on the board it's public. It's not a breach of confidentiality.

These images are publicly visible.  That is true.  But you will not find them in your normal everyday browsing of jw.org.  You have to "snoop" to find them.  Or in other words, you have to poke your nose in where it doesn't belong.

To illustrate:  I invite you to my home for tea and refreshments.  You enjoy the tea and we have a nice time.  Does that give you permission to go snooping around my bedroom and through my cupboards.  No.  Likewise we are invited to enjoy using jw.org.  But does that mean we can go through other parts of the servers that are not yet on the site?

A real-life illustration.  When I took my driving test, I did not tell anyone - not my parents, nor my best friend.  Two reasons - I wanted to keep it a surprise, and I was worried I might fail.  After my test, I went to the home of my best friend to surprise them with my news.  I had it all planed out how I would reveal my good news.  When I got there, they already knew.  How?   A sister had spotted me at the test centre and told everyone.  By doing so she took away my joy and ruined the surprise.  It was not her news to tell, it was my news to tell. (She also had no way of knowing if I had passed or failed, so she may have caused me embarrassment if I had to them explain to everyone I had actually failed by driving test)

What's my point.  In this instance it appears that the 2020 yeartext has been revealed.  It was not our place to reveal it.   It is the GB brothers who will tell us at the AM.  You have taken away their privilege and joy in telling us.   So even if you do come across something in your snooping around, before reaching for the mouse, think and consider: Is this really something I should post and reveal?  Is it my really my place to do so?  Or is it best to leave it and wait for the faithful slave to reveal it.

As elders ,we know the importance of confidentiality.  Ok, so the yeartext is not life and death information, and may not be considered a big deal.  Still it was confidential information that should have remained so until the proper time. 

There is also another point.  That is why do we feel the need to post these images?  And the answer will be a personal one.  Is it for encouragement?   Or is it for some personal glory?  Sometimes it could be like hearing a juicy bit of gossip (or in this case, seeing it) and you just have to tell someone else.  Speculation is one thing.  Revealing yet-to-be-released information is another.

I doubt anyone will hate you for your views, but let me add something: The brothers are fully capable and have the necessary technical know-how to keep matters confidential to the needed degree. If the branch does not consider something confidential, we should anyone else? While publication contents are confidential, which it is while it’s being worked on (which gives the staff opportunity to work in peace while also promoting Jehovah God as the source, and no specific human), no image is visible to regular viewers on JW.org. We do not talk about future releases, such as any AM releases, even though some might have worked on them for a very long time by now. We do not talk about upcoming convention or assembly outlines, or any letters that are coming down the pipeline. But what you can find on openly JW.org, it’s not confidential.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

43 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

Hate is a strong word and I am sure no one hates you here.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 8/28/2019 at 6:33 PM, trottigy said:

Well, looks like there will be a Jan in 2020 still in this system.  :lol1:where we still encourage ones to study - so at least 6 more months past that, eh?

:popcorn:

Well, the fact is a WT exists for January 2020. Jehovah’s organization will go on, and not miss a beat, come what may. The end will come when we least expect it. Don’t let that chariot leave you behind. I suspect things can move pretty fast! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

• 2 weeks later...