JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia fires: two people dead, 100+ homes destroyed

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1511 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Early Bush fires for Australia

NSW and Queensland fires: two people dead, seven unaccounted for and more than 100 homes destroyed

'We have got the worst of our fire season still ahead of us. We're not even in summer yet.'

NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons reiterated that the forecast for next week – Tuesday in particular – was dire, and that the outlook for the summer beyond was potentially catastrophic

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/nov/09/nsw-and-queensland-fires-more-than-100-homes-destroyed-and-three-people-missing-live1d9fdbdb9f0b7b5953f0d816db2d916b.jpg

Just Older

Edited by Shawnster

too bad.. 

Is this happening now? 

Yes. Today. Has been drought through our winter. Now everything is dead dry and ready to burn. Electrical storms (lightning strikes) and some vandals start the fires.

Click on link in original post for latest news

Just Older

a329969bbfca6b591bbdd5c1363d7861.jpg

18 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Early Bush fires for Australia

NSW and Queensland fires: two people dead, seven unaccounted for and more than 100 homes destroyed

'We have got the worst of our fire season still ahead of us. We're not even in summer yet.'

NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons reiterated that the forecast for next week – Tuesday in particular – was dire, and that the outlook for the summer beyond was potentially catastrophic

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2019/nov/09/nsw-and-queensland-fires-more-than-100-homes-destroyed-and-three-people-missing-live1d9fdbdb9f0b7b5953f0d816db2d916b.jpg

Just Older emoji3073.png

I have a feeling that this year/summer will be terrible.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Yes. Today. Has been drought through our winter. Now everything is dead dry and ready to burn. Electrical storms (lightning strikes) and some vandals start the fires.

Click on link in original post for latest news

Just Older emoji3073.png

a329969bbfca6b591bbdd5c1363d7861.jpg

Im watching videos about it  now.. 

Just now, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

At least in Melbourne you have some cooler tempreture.
Let's hope all stays well for the IC next week (at least!).

Just Older emoji3073.png

As you know, Melbourne can spike from 19C in one day to 35C next day...very unpredictable.

Whole world is experiencing weird weather.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

My son that is on LDC in the area can see the fires. Some weeks back, they evacuated from the Are over one weekend.
Added to the problem is the shortage of water. Everything is do dry.
Apparently a cong in Taree, 50 or so went to the Kingdom Hall as a safety precaution. I have not heard any reports of damage. e9543b6f09f4e1d8eda81b36d08b1618.jpg5766c0781f8cb9b60f83feea3e5e2445.jpg

Just Older

5 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I have a feeling that this year/summer will be terrible.

If I remember correctly you guys had some pretty bad fires last year.. like record setting blazes, if I'm recalling correctly..

About the only plus factor is the fires proximity to the ocean, if there are aircraft that can take advantage of that..

Latest Satellite of West Australia via Himawari-8

Winds are blowing the smoke out to the sea which is nice.

Its predicted for the next 3 months there will be below average rain and well above average temperatures. The heat is already in the middle of Australia and waiting for the wind to blow east. I think there is going to be a fire show on the East as summer approaches, it is extremely dry.

7F0809BF-6DB9-4FDF-B053-CD5F97A53E5E.gif.19c8ce9e842178509ff99fdc08fcb34b.gif

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/08/dozens-of-bushfires-burn-out-of-control-in-nsw-and-queensland-as-temperatures-soar

The NY Times ran an article this morning on how scientists have seriously underestimated how quickly the effects of climate change would happen. In the 1990's it was thought that it would be a slow and steady process, that the Antarctic ice would remain stable, the permafrost would stay frozen, etc. That has not proved to be correct. What's happening now has taken them by surprise. Sadly, the fires in Australia are a part of this. We are now seeing runaway domino effects all over the world. I hate reading about the animals left behind to take their chances, as well as human lives lost in horrific circumstances.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/maps-reveal-potential-bushfire-devastation-as-nsw-set-for-dramatic-weather-change/live-coverage/2607c039dd567c5d0213218b1ca6d0db

A state of emergency has been declared in New South Wales;
Greater Sydney, Greater Hunter and Illawarra/Shoalhaven face “catastrophic fire danger”;
54 fires burning in NSW, 25 of them uncontained;
Cool change expected in the early evening, which could see fires change direction;
54 fires burning in Queensland, with the blaze at Cobraball still uncontrolled;
Hundreds of schools across both states closed today.
The NSW Rural Fire Service has warned residents to leave homes immediately in areas facing the greatest danger, taking their pets with them.a1bd630d10affbe31ccafe05d9da542f.jpg

Just Older

Many of our brothers from Qld are already on the road heading to Melbourne for the IC. They are/will be passing through the NSW fire region to get to Victoria.

Social media reports some brothers in NSW are evacuating their homes today. This would put their Melbourne travel plans on hold.

Just Older

I`m listening to Australian Fire Com Taree on the scanner.

Those poor firefighters are sure being kept busy!

I can see them dropping from exhaustion.  Hopefully there

are relief crews waiting in the wings to relieve them.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

In Auckland NZ we’ve been experiencing some unusual weather conditions. It’s like fog but dirty like smog. Apparently it’s smoke blowing over from Australia which is 3-4 hrs away by plane. Apparently, (according to one weather forecaster) the fires are so hot that the smoke is rising higher than normal into the upper atmosphere where higher speed winds are blowing the smoke further than they would normally.

If you choose to wear a mask to protect yourself from the smoke, keep in mind that surgical masks are not designed to filter particulates and may give the user a false sense of protection. The N95 mask is recommended.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

A build-up of intense heat that will see temperatures in WA soar into the mid 40s this weekend will be dragged across the country next week, right into parts of New South Wales and Queensland devastated by bushfires this week.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-15/wa-hot-air-mass-will-head-to-the-east-coast-bushfire-zone/11705750

Edited by Lewis

Am so sorry my dearest brother's and sister's.  So much like California's fires.  Not only the homes, and villages, or towns, but our kingdom halls, and homes for the C.O's, homes or buildings.  Millions of acres burnt up in seconds.  Homes and property, along with animals, and wild life destroyed..  Drought, pestilence, those 4 horsemen riding wild since 1914.  No stopping them till Armageddon.  My heart goes out to all of you in Australia, and all over this planet.  Keep doing Jehovah's will as best you can, the more we do, Jehovah's day will be here.  My prayers and thoughts with all of you, even if your not in a burn zone. 

Posted 17 Nov, 2019 (OP 9 Nov)

Key points:

There are currently more than 50 bushfires burning in Queensland

A fire at Pechey, north of Toowoomba, has worsened, prompting a leave now warning

The BOM says some storms predicted for large parts of the state could become severe and ignite more bushfires...

There are more than 50 fires burning across Queensland, with one leave immediately and six current watch and act warnings, amid high temperatures and hot, dry westerly winds that will continue across the weekend.

Temperatures could soar from the mid to high 30s at major fire grounds.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-16/bom-warning-queensland-bushfire-weather-emergency-plan/11708104?pfmredir=sm277cf281e67918fc0103a8a81cde9d19.jpg&key=8714cdd9577ded319c59750021fa5915dd54c2bea17e76a895db1a099fc52ad2

Just Older