JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia fires: two people dead, 100+ homes destroyed

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1514 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Some media outlets have describes the Australian fires in apocalyptic terms, and posted some dramatic pictures to back up their reports. Does it really feel like that to you on the ground? 

It really really really is as bad as the pictures you are seeing. We know about bushfires in Australia. But this is just something else. It’s massive in area, the inability to control, the speed, the height of the flames. Because of severe ongoing drought, the bush was tinder dry. Even rainforests have burned. There may be no recovery for some species of animals. Without proper rains, this fire will keep on burning. So very sad. 

All our government can do is pledge money for the recovery effort. But really, they know it’s going to be unrecoverable because the fire seasons are getting longer, and so this is the new norm. Scary stuff if we didn’t know Jehovah will soon reverse all this damage. 

Here in Melbourne, the smoke has been pretty bad today.
Woke up in the middle of the night, thinking I’d left the oven on..but it was the smell of the smoke from the fires.
Outside is all foggy from the smoke.
If it’s like this here (where we aren’t affected that much) then I can only imagine the poor people that are in the middle of it all. 
Continuously praying for our dear brothers and sisters. ❤️

I listened to the Rural Fire Service communications on a scanner app. as fire entered a village where a relative lives (she had evacuated). I was so impressed listening to their calm and well organised communications, whether they were locals and knew their own houses were at risk or brigades from out of town that were not familiar with the area. Ordinary people doing extraordinary stuff. 

7 hours ago, Bek said:

Some media outlets have describes the Australian fires in apocalyptic terms, and posted some dramatic pictures to back up their reports. Does it really feel like that to you on the ground? 

It does, breathing problems in Melbourne, yesterday young girl (17?) collapsed due to air pollution (haze,smoke) from fires.

Have not seen blue sky ...it’s depressing. . 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I'm sure my allergies would be having a severe reaction along with the devastation going on. Very sad. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

To be honest, I have not followed this thread. It’s too much for me to deal with, emotionally. 
But, if possible, clean air in your homes, (hepa-filter) and don’t go outside without a high quality facial mask. That smoke is horrible for your lungs. If you can smell it, it is doing damage. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

And because of the experience of the California fires, I was able to tell all my friends affected to get the proper masks. This was back in November, when the smoke from the fires was in Sydney. Now Canberra, the capital, had to shut down some government departments due to smoke entering the buildings. Yesterday it had the worst air pollution in the world. And Melbourne has smoke haze now. Adelaide was bad last week. All major cities and towns not burning are having issues with air quality. 😔

Almost 2,000 houses have been destroyed in Australia's months-long bushfire crisis, officials say, as crews prepare frantically for worsening conditions.

After ferocious conditions last week, firefighters are using milder weather to boost containment lines around fires engulfing south-eastern Australia.

Temperatures are likely to soar again on Friday, prompting fears that two fires could form a new "mega blaze".

At least 25 people and millions of animals have died since September.

Australia is fighting an unprecedented bushfire season, fuelled by record temperatures and widespread drought...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-510155360a4f5d89abbe7b789c815da06ad5289c.jpg

Just Older

https://abcnews.go.com/International/24-australians-arrested-deliberately-setting-fires-season/story?id=68108272&cid=social_fb_abcn&fbclid=IwAR0zlYuiSbB7bddZ7dGXjtK25pk_C0GLcNGrsgT2-OUY5IbDrLRCfHFCdlE

article below:   Can’t believe the lives lost, humans, animals, the amount of land. The cost and idiots 😡 that keep it going. No wonder fire fighters can’t get a handle on this. 

Two dozen Australians in the state of New South Wales have been arrested since early November for intentionally setting fires as  record-large blazes continue to burn across the country.

There have been 24 people charged with deliberately setting fires among 183 facing legal action in the state, according to the New South Wales Police Force.

In addition to those facing the most serious charges of starting fires intentionally, authorities said another 53 people are facing legal action for not complying with the state's fire ban and 47 people have faced legal action for discarding a lit cigarette or match on land.

Starting a bushfire intentionally and being reckless in causing its spread can result in up to 21 years in prison, authorities said.

Legal actions can range "from cautions through to criminal charges," according to NSW police.

At least 24 people have been killed and over 2,000 homes have been destroyed by the bushfires, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Monday. Over 12 million acres have burned in Australia since the start of the fire season.

New South Wales, in the southeastern part of the country, has been particularly hard hit by fires this season. The state includes the capital of Sydney, Australia's largest city, as well as Newcastle, Maitland, Central City and Wollongong. It is the country's most populous state.

The University of Sydney estimated 480 million animals have perished in Australia's fires in New South Wales alone.

"The fires have also been devastating for Australia’s wildlife and wild places, as vital areas of bush, forests and parks have been scorched and many millions of animals killed or injured," Dr. Stuart Blanch, senior manager land clearing and restoration with World Wildlife Fund-Australia, told ABC News. "Until the fires subside the full extent of damage will remain unknown."

The Insurance Council of Australia said Tuesday local time the estimated damage bill with insurance claims has reached $485 million U.S., while Morrison said Monday that the government was committing an extra $1.4 billion U.S. toward the recovery effort. Tens of millions had already been promised to the cause.

The fires have received worldwide attention in recent weeks, with many politicians and celebrities rallying to the cause. Late Monday U.S. time, Australian actor Chris Hemsworth pledged $1 million to fight the wildfires. Celebrities such as singer Pink, Australian actress Nicole Kidman and musician husband Keith Urban have donated $500,000 each to the cause.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Australasia fire update from Bethel Worship

All brothers and sisters safe,
no injuries or loss of life.
700 evacuated, most now returned home.

9 houses destroyed, more sheds and property damage though.

No kingdom halls damaged.

2x disaster relief committees formed.

Branch Committee members to visit affected congregations.

Just Older

18 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Australasia fire update from Bethel Worship

Thank you Tony. Praying for the Brothers and Sisters every day, because I can't do anything else, but keep worrying. May Jehovah bless you all to be wise and keep safe. 

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

Do you think people are really that wicked? 

Well, yes, it's Satan's world. I mean the Demons have contributed to this situation so of course there followers will too. Some out of malice, others so the can ransack abandoned homes (that's being happening too). I know worldly people who would do that if they could get away with it. 

On 1/9/2020 at 5:49 AM, sunshine said:

Do you think people are really that wicked? ...I know its possible, but to deliberately do such a thing is a little hard to gat my head around..

Just look at the past history of mankind...Assyrians, Nazi-concentration Camps..atrocities ....gruesome crimes committed on individuals...not a good record ..is-it?

What to expect in the last days of the last days in relation to wickedness?

But wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled.2Tim.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I get quite emotional looking at this. I guess this is the best of humanity reflecting such a selflessness and ready to help from across the Pacific. It’s what our spiritual family do all the time (as we say in this month’s broadcast), and this is how all humans should be.

Shane Fitzsimmons (@RFSCommissioner) Tweeted:
US fire fighters arrived at Sydney Int Airport this week, on their way to assist with fire fighting in Victoria.
Coming through, all gathered gave a spontaneous & lengthy round of applause, reflecting the gratitude & admiration we all have for their generosity. #NSWRFS @NSWRFS https://t.co/5epg5y4qxX

So much has been lost. Human lives, homes, businesses, farms, natural bush, farm animals and native animals. 

Eden has lost their mill, Mt Selwyn has lost their whole resort, softwood plantations in Tumut, dairy in Bega, apple orchards in Batlow. Vineyards in 2 states are burned. Most of Kangaroo Island is burnt. And water supplies face contamination by the ash and runoff when rains come later ( Sydney’s water supply at Warragamba hold 80% of the city’s water and is at risk).

Roads have literally melted due to intense heat. Hwy East-West across Australia cut for days due to fires. All roads along east coast closed at various times as fire fronts raced through. So much infrastructure is damaged or destroyed. I can’t get my head around it. 

Meanwhile, politicians are still politicising, as they are loathe to mention the two words that are on everybody’s lips. The world has changed for us here in Australia. Hoping to help more see what the real solution is. 

We love you all  sister Lucy and are praying for you all.

We are standing at the door of the great tribulation and we will all have to face it with courage.  These will indeed be the hardest of times but it won't last forever and we will make it through... together and with our Father's help.

Edited by sunshine

I didn't realize this but during that bad California wildfire season last year

Australia sent 150 firefighters to help there.

Firefighters from the US Forest Service arrived first.  I think it is the LA Firefighters

that are being shown in the video in Sister Lucy's file.

Canada sent firefighters weeks ago already.

There is something very noble in joining forces for such a just cause. :D

I found this video very educational:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif