JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

Good Morning Brothers.

I am not sure if this has already been talked about before but there are two issue's I keep having with my JW Library app that I need help with.

#1 When I am running the app and I select a video to play it begins just fine however, after three or four second if I switch it over to full screen the video goes black. Audio is still playing but the video is black. If I switch back out of full screen nothing changes, video remains black but audio continues to play. If I immediately switch to full screen when I play the video it does work as intended but if there is any delay it always goes to black screen. 

#2 This issue occurs when I am the sound operator for the meeting. If I screen share the app to play the song it will show the video but no audio is playing. This is a recent problem. I have been doing sound on zoom since the beginning and I have it set up correctly with all of the screen sharing and sound sharing features currently turned on. This development happened over the summer and I still have not found a solution. I believe it to be an issue with the JW Library app or that is my guess. I can screen share from the internet just fine with YouTube for example. Audio and Video work just fine. Its only when I use the JW Library app that I keep having these issues.  

I would appreciate any help and feedback. BTW yes I have uninstalled and redownloaded it multiple times. I am running Windows 10 on my Dell Alienware Gaming PC. All the latest updates are installed. Maybe there is an issue with the Alienware software that idk about? 

Again brothers I appreciate your help. 

Your Brother

D. Balser

Helo brother.

I haven't had the problem number 1... But the second one looks very familiar. 

What used to happen with me is that I couldn't hear the music/sound of the video, despite the fact that it was still playing, and I could hear everyone before I started presenting. In my case, I was the only one not hearing, and all the other brothers were hearing fine.  I solved the problem just by switching the source of my audio. I noticed it happened after I started using a Bluetooth earpiece ... Zoom identifies two ways to use the Bluetooth phones. I just don't remember the names it attributes to each one... But it indicates in parenthesis the name of your device, (maybe it happens with wired phones too). If you can't hear your sound when sharing screen, change the speaker source, if it's the same thing that should solve it. On my computer, the option "headset" is the one that presents that issue.

The audio output selection in Zoom can be independent of your computer sound. You can select "same as system" and it will use whatever you are currently using or you can select a particular device - like a headset. However, if you select a headset and your PC is set to play sound through your speakers, you will not hear the Zoom share screen in your headset since your local sound is not set to the headset. You need to make sure your system sound is being output to the same device you are listening Zoom on or choose "same as system" in Zoom.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Can a brother answer nme conclusively if the most recent instructions for Zoom meetings are to "pin" or to "spotlight" thóse giving talks? my brother (in another congregations says Spotlight ,(split screen,) but my congregation is still 'pinning' the video screens. Thank you for any help in clearing this up.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

7 minutes ago, shali said:

Can a brother answer nme conclusively if the most recent instructions for Zoom meetings are to "pin" or to "spotlight" thóse giving talks? my brother (in another congregations says Spotlight ,(split screen,) but my congregation is still 'pinning' the video screens. Thank you for any help in clearing this up.

I don't see anything in the s-179 or zoom inst about that. It's probably left to the BOE. In my congregation for example, we don't spotlight speakers, we make sure everyone stays muted. When there are 2 like on the school, we pin both. Maybe someone wiser can shed light on it.

1 hour ago, shali said:

S-179 Par 18:

• About one minute before the meeting begins, mute all attendees and, if possible, spotlight the chairman

• Spotlight speakers during talks, if possible

1 hour ago, bigvince said:

I don't see anything in the s-179 or zoom inst about that. It's probably left to the BOE. In my congregation for example, we don't spotlight speakers, we make sure everyone stays muted. When there are 2 like on the school, we pin both. Maybe someone wiser can shed light on it.

See par 18 "Before the meeting" and "During the meeting" in S-179 (1/21), and/or my previous post.

Please note that even though it sounds like you're talking about spotlighting, there also IS a "pin" function that works similarly but when you use the pin feature it only affects what YOU see on your own device, NOT what others see.

Edited by Minaise

12 minutes ago, Qapla said:

image.png.e084e614e791128e0a7d0d947d083cd5.png

Here are the Nov 29 release notes.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4413736020877-Release-notes-for-November-29-2021

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

adding a instructional video to the waiting room would be pretty cool.

Do you mean - Something like "5 Ways to sew a quilt" instructional video??

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 11/24/2021 at 3:06 AM, Tortuga said:

Wow, adding a instructional video to the waiting room would be pretty cool.

Screenshot_20211123-180459_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b2755a4d52eddaf4c57eae23f9cedf45.jpg

Yes! I'm looking forward to this one. There's one caveat though. The attendees have to start the video themselves, it doesn't start automatically.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:02 PM, Tortuga said:

My Zoom for Windows 10 just updated this morning.  It is now Version 5.8.6 (why did we skipped over 5.8.5?)

Apple and Android are still at 5.8.4

Zoom 5.8.6.JPG

18 hours ago, LRJW said:

What is "Spotlight self for host in Participants list"? 

Before, If you were a host, you would not be able to spotlight yourself through the participants list, only on the video tiles. And you could only spotlight others through the participants list. Now with this update, it's easy to spotlight yourself if you're host. This will be very useful for hosts if you are showing pictures through the OBS Virtual Camera.

4 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Today I received an email about a class action lawsuit against Zoom..Did anyone else receive an email like this?😟

Theoretically, everyone who is in the "class" of Zoom users from the dates specified will get a notice.  If it is decided in favor of the plaintiffs, it won't amount to much money for each one.  It only amounted to something like $20-30 dollars (max).

13 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Theoretically, everyone who is in the "class" of Zoom users from the dates specified will get a notice.  If it is decided in favor of the plaintiffs, it won't amount to much money for each one.  It only amounted to something like $20-30 dollars (max).

Thanks..my concern is it says if I do nothing, I am still part of the lawsuit..Did you or anyone here get the same email?

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif