JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Now there is a bit of downtime, it's nice to catch up with Broadcasting videos, talks and also books on the shelves.

I have Maxdome, so we can watch selected movies online. The other day I watched "The Queen". Found it dramatic, but also interesting to watch.

Are there any clean movies you have watched in the past that you can recommend?

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 7:37 AM, GodlyDevotion said:

There's a movie on Netflix titled, "Knives out." I really enjoyed it. My two favorite actors - Daniel Craig, and Chris Evans were starred in the movie. I really enjoyed the movie. 

I was actually really curious about this movie and wondered if it was good, especially since Rian Johnson has been so controversial due to playing a role in the ruination of Star Wars, but I kinda figured Star Wars was probably just not a good fit for him. I might look this movie up. Thanks

We watched a nice Canadian movie a few days ago. It's titled "The Grand Seduction". It's a mixture of drama and comedy.

https://www.movieguide.org/reviews/the-grand-seduction.html

The inhabitants of a small town in Newfoundland live all on social welfare since their glorious days of fishing are over. There is a big company interested in establishing a factory in the town, which would employ all inhabitants and save it from its decadence, but one of their requirements is to have a resident doctor in town. So when a young doctor with problems with cocaine is sent there for a month as a punishment, the whole town starts the "seduction" from the title, trying to persuade the doctor to stay there permanently.

There is only one scene where the doctor is having a phone conversation with his girlfriend that becomes a bit "intense", without knowing the townfolk are listening. But outside of that it's a clean movie, and that conversation is not a big thing either. I didn't find language to be inappropriate, although that doesn't mean much since I watched a dubbed version. :) We found it a pleasant and amusing movie about human feelings and interactions. It promotes values such as families staying together, true friendship, being honest and telling the truth and that hard work dignifies a person.

Edited by carlos

2 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

I watched the Eye in the Sky (w Helen Merrin). There is blood. There is death.
But there is suspense & Drama.
It a story about a drone strike and what collateral damage is acceptable.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Yes, a really tense movie of what goes on behind the scenes in the halls of power when these decisions are made.

I also enjoyed Official Secrets - a true story of a whistleblower from the UK spy agency GCHQ.

I also enjoyed Official Secrets - a true story of a whistleblower from the UK spy agency GCHQ.

Thanks for that. We watched it yesterday. As you say, not ac tense as the drone strike, but based on true events - and sadly cost thousands of lives, not just 1 child.

Old (Downunder) Tone

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching The Next Three Days with Russel Crowe & Elizabeth Banks a bit of violence but no bad language & a very intriguing story of how a good guy can do extraordinary things in extraordinary circumstances. 

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

• 5 months later...

Tom Hanks in  A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood,  not sure if is on Netflix, as I have personal copy on Blu-ray. 

Enjoyed it. (It's a keeper) ...I keep singing the song... LOL :facepalmpo2:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching My Octopus Teacher, a Netflix documentary about a diver who forged a friendship with an octopus that lives in a kelp forest off the coast of South Africa.

We had recently read the article on The Amazing Arm of the Octopus on jw.org and the docu left us with a lovely feeling for things we will be able to do/enjoy in the new world to come.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:40 PM, Skye said:

I enjoyed watching My Octopus Teacher, a Netflix documentary about a diver who forged a friendship with an octopus that lives in a kelp forest off the coast of South Africa.

It's amazing isn't? 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen Babette's feast but the trailer is intriguing. 

The seven-course menu in the film consisted of:

"Potage à la Tortue" (turtle soup) served with Amontillado sherry

"Blinis Demidoff" (buckwheat pancakes with caviar and sour cream) served with Veuve Cliquot Champagne

image.jpeg.684879cc689b6eb00ec4454042fc4014.jpeg

"Cailles en Sarcophage" (quail in puff pastry shell with foie gras and truffle sauce) served with Clos de Vougeot Pinot Noir

an endive salad

"Savarin au Rhum avec des Figues et Fruit Glacée" (rum sponge cake with figs and candied cherries) served with Champagne

assorted cheeses and fruits served with Sauternes

coffee with vieux marc Grande Champagne cognac

Edited by Mclove

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 3:20 AM, New World Explorer said:

Tom Hanks in  A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood,  not sure if is on Netflix, as I have personal copy on Blu-ray. 

Enjoyed it. (It's a keeper) ...I keep singing the song... LOL :facepalmpo2:

I just watched this the other day. I thought Tom Hanks did a good job as Mr. Rogers.

I think Fred would agree..🙂  I was surprised it wasn't mentioned at the Awards shows, afaik

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I recently watched Loving Vincent. A first of it's kind, 100 artists from around the world created 65,000 oil paintings of Vincent Van Goghs' to make this biographical film. The story begins 1 year after his death. It's structured like a detective story, trying to learn more about the painter and how he lived and died, how in his last days he wrote a letter to his brother which is being hand delivered by a friend. 

It's good to first watch the documentary, Loving Vincent the Impossible Dream, to see the incredible effort to put this together over a period of several years . It's the first and I think still the only of it's kind, hand painting Van Gogh's own work and making it move.

In all, over a period of 8 years he painted 1800 paintings and only sold one in his lifetime. 

I would recommend it to anyone who likes art, who is creative, anyone suffering from mental illness.

It is believed that he suffered from schizophrenia.

Amazon Prime 3.99

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 10/7/2020 at 1:25 AM, Golfguy74 said:

Got to still love the older Disney movies when they were not paid to push an agenda. The movies like, Snow Ball Express", "The Ungly Daschound", "Condorman" and even 'Herbie". When you want to make your kids cry "Bambi" 

Know what you mean. I was watching some clips from old Disney cartoons recently, and I watched one I'd never seen before (King Arthur) just to also make the point that I'm not just being "nostalgic" (as some would claim we think older products are better than modern purely due to bias and attachment), and it's just so... satisfiying, to watch these old hand drawn animations, with their classical and unique orchestral scores, and stories, which are so down to Earth, and yet at the same time, so fantastical.

It' feels "authentic", and I think whilst we always have enjoyed these things as mere entertainment, looking back now, and comparing them to the modern Disney, and all the other modern rubbish we have to contend with filled with nonsense like agendas, bad writing, and cheap knock off reboots, it was quite emotional, in an "appreciative" way. You can see and feel the hard work that went into them, the richness of the characterisations, and the originality of the writers.

No box ticking, no weirdness, no politics, or cheap cash grabbing, just art.

Edited by EccentricM

• 3 weeks later...