JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Book suggestion for 8 years old?

My daughter loves reading books, she loves Roald dahl books, and other adventure and comic books also...I do not know much about good children books in English..can any one suggest some good books which I can purchase from Kindle..( may be below 500 Rs) She doesn't have school or online classes, so, plenty of time..Is Thea Stilton books good? 

500 rp = about USD 7

Best FREE Kindle Ebooks for Children

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21465.Best_FREE_Kindle_Ebooks_for_Children_

Best free kindle [unlimited!] downloads for children aged 7-12

• Black Beauty  by Anna Sewell
  • Heidi by Johanna Spyri

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Edited by Mclove

If you can get hold of "Hilda Bowell's Treasury of Poetry" - Poetry is not something that is on the forefront of childrens choices ... beautifully illustrated and the poems are just exquisite.

I remember it fondly and have seen the odd copy around second stores/sites. (The photo is from Amazon) The second one is is Children's stories ... again just lovely.

Oh and you have the Heidi books - looove these. Heidi - Joanna Spyri - Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children - Charles Tritten - Tritton? 

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

3 minutes ago, boodles said:

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace, she can grow up with them. They start when Betsy is five and continue until after she's married. 

In a year or two, Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. 

In fact, the Little House on the Prairie would also be a good add to that. 

24 minutes ago, Qapla said:

9781416246107_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg

9780740722134_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg

:blush:    :blush:    :blush:    :blush:    :blush:    :blush:    :blush:    

:facepalmpo2:  you said "8" years old   :eek:    I thought it was "80" years old   :wall: 

Might read it myself I have a few years before I reach 80.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

One of my favorites when I was about that age:

Harriet the Spy

(so much better than the movie)

https://www.amazon.com/Harriet-Spy-Louise-Fitzhugh/dp/0440416795/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Harriet+the+spy&qid=1594013174&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Wow! Did you see the movie series with Patrick Warburton? AHH...Mazing!

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

Great choices above!  I must add:  ANY Beverly Cleary book!!  My 3rd grade teacher read us "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" and I was hooked...read them all and got them for my son when he was 8. "Mitch and Amy" is one the funniest kids books around- my son and I still quote from it and he is 35 yrs old now! 😄 "Here come our fiends!"... 😂😂

• 2 weeks later...

If she doesn't mind older books, there are a lot of neat books on project Gutenberg. You'd nead a PDF or Epub reader though. I like MReader personally (for Epub)
Lemme see what would be more kid friendly though:
Anne of Green Gables

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

A Little Princess

The Wind in the Willows
The Story of Doctor Doolittle

Black Beauty
Heidi

Treasure Island

Granted some of these might be advanced for a typical 8 year old, but probably not by much, but I assume if they're an avid reader, they probably have a higher than average reading level.
Here's the Entire List

The best thing about Project Gutenberg is that all their books are free and easy to download, and there are just SO MANY BOOKS!

On 7/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, Katty said:

If she doesn't mind older books, there are a lot of neat books on project Gutenberg. You'd nead a PDF or Epub reader though. I like MReader personally (for Epub)
Lemme see what would be more kid friendly though:
Anne of Green Gables

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

A Little Princess

The Wind in the Willows
The Story of Doctor Doolittle

Black Beauty
Heidi

Treasure Island

Granted some of these might be advanced for a typical 8 year old, but probably not by much, but I assume if they're an avid reader, they probably have a higher than average reading level.
Here's the Entire List

The best thing about Project Gutenberg is that all their books are free and easy to download, and there are just SO MANY BOOKS!

It's a great site, a lot of books. Thanks sister..😊 

• 2 years later...

We are getting ready to start reading the Nancy Drew books.  We were recommended those by the librarian. I am not sure how she will like them, but you can get them free through the Libby app or the Hoopla app.  You just attach your library card and then can "borrow" them.  So, if she doesn't like them or if there is something we don't like about the book, we are not out any money.  :)

On 6/28/2020 at 10:43 PM, Imagine said:

500 rp = about USD 7

Best FREE Kindle Ebooks for Children

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21465.Best_FREE_Kindle_Ebooks_for_Children_

Best free kindle [unlimited!] downloads for children aged 7-12

• Black Beauty  by Anna Sewell
  • Heidi by Johanna Spyri

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

She finished reading all these three..