JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Teeth - Are You Missing a Back Lower Molar?

Just curious...

My far back molar on the right bottom (not a wisdom tooth) had a root canal several years back.  Now, the root has fractured and my dentist suggests having it pulled.  It is slightly infected but, not painful as the tooth is dead.  My dentist also suggests getting an implant.  He doesn't do this work himself but, he's telling me it would cost about $8,000.00.  WHAT!!!  For one tooth?!?

I would love to just keep the tooth and forget about it BUT, tooth infections can become deadly and this one I don't notice... yet.  Because it is so deep.  The infection will no doubt get worse.

I have tried to research online but the only one's talking about it are dentists trying to sell you on implants.  They basically tell you that if you don't get an implant... your face will cave in, your upper tooth will drop to compensate, your face will get dented, you won't be able to eat and your remaining teeth without support, will shift.  Lovely!

Sounds like lies... but, I sure don't want to find out!

It's the largest tooth in my mouth and I'm kind'a used to having it for chewing!

Have any of you lost your farthest back, molar - especially on your dominant chewing side?  And if so, with what result?

Thanks!

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

They basically tell you that if you don't get an implant... your face will cave in, your upper tooth will drop to compensate, your face will get dented, you won't be able to eat and your remaining teeth without support, will shift.  Lovely!

I have not experienced any of the above issues.

I been where you been, where a molar had a root canal, the failed (maybe cracked) deep down.

It showed up as a shadow on an X-ray. The dentist said it needs to be fixed. It was not giving me any problems. But 2 years later it started to pain.

It needs to be fixed. A medico once told me: ANYTHING close to the brain needs to be treated seriously.

Only 2 choices with a failed root canal. 1 x super expensive - the other is to pull it out. (I went the cheap option)

I now have a rather large gap at the back. The other side is still fully populated, so I can fumble on.

Old (Downunder) Tone

21 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

I have not experienced any of the above issues.

I been where you been, where a molar had a root canal, the failed (maybe cracked) deep down.

It showed up as a shadow on an X-ray. The dentist said it needs to be fixed. It was not giving me any problems. But 2 years later it started to pain.

It needs to be fixed. A medico once told me: ANYTHING close to the brain needs to be treated seriously.

Only 2 choices with a failed root canal. 1 x super expensive - the other is to pull it out. (I went the cheap option)

I now have a rather large gap at the back. The other side is still fully populated, so I can fumble on.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Thank you Tony! 

Yes, I have the same "shadow" on the x-ray... and yes, I have heard the same that these infections can go bad, quickly.

I am assuming that eating is not an issue and if it is, I suppose eating less would not be a bad thing!

Well, "fumbling on" seems to make the most sense - much as I hate to say good-bye to an old friend... and honestly, I am noticing it worsening although it doesn't hurt - yet. :facepalmpo2:

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

I always had problem with overcrowding and noticed in my 20s my backnwisdom teeth were pushing my feont teeth forward,so i requested that they remove 1 or 2 of my back molars to make space and they refused to do so for all the above reasons you mentioned.Then a couple of years ago with very crooked front teeth and impacted back teeth they did exactly what i wanted to originally,the reason,i couldnt floss between my back teeth and they were getting worse,so i got 1 molars removed and 2 wisdom...made no difference to eating or my face...unfortunately without very expensive braces i wont get straight front teeth...a job for paradise,maybe Jehovah will give me a bigger mouth😆

I have exactly the same as what you've described, Lori.  Back molar, had root canal, capping broke, pulled it out.  It's been fine having a big gap where the molar once was.  Only one dentist suggested I get the implant as my whole side of my face would cave in.  I panicked, and the cost then was exhorbitant ($5000).  I went for a second opinion, and the dentist said no need to do that.  So I went to Europe instead. 😉

31 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It's been fine having a big gap where the molar once was

For me it was the Top right last molar. The surgeon said an implant would only be for the aesthetic value.  Also our Dental Insurance deemed an implant a cosmetic procedure not a medical necessity.  I’ve done fine without it for two years.

10 hours ago, Loje said:

It's the largest tooth in my mouth and I'm kind'a used to having it for chewing!

Have any of you lost your farthest back, molar - especially on your dominant chewing side?  And if so, with what result?

Thanks!

Hey Lori

Sorry to hear what you are going through right now. I don’t know what’s worse, the pain of the procedure or the lucrative costs.

If you have a chance google Molar City Algodones Mexico. Its an extremely safe little border town on the Border of Arizona and California.

About 10 miles from Yuma. It’s well known for high quality medical care and very affordable dentistry, using the same techniques as here. 

We park our car on this side of the border, and walk across, most everything is very close. There are supposedly over 600 dentists , the summer time is the best time to go, this is their slow season, the winter time is very busy, with long wait times.

If you know where to go. most procedures are done same day, and crowns are ready the following day.

We use a dentist with many years of experience. They have their own in house dental lab, saving most precious time and money.

He trains other dentists, that call him for complicated procedures. 

I have the exact problem, infection same tooth, other side, shadowed X-Ray. He recommended a root canal, and a new crown.

Hopefully getting a few more years use out of the large surface molar. 

A few weeks ago we went down, and met early, to have the molar on the other side, removed. It had already had 2 root canals from another dentist, awhile back. The surgical removal cost $100, and the bone graft, (filling in the void, for a later implant) cost $350.

Generally the costs are 1/4 to 1/2 of what you will pay here.

We’ve met friends as far away as Canada and Alaska in Algodones, who have had dental insurance, but still bring their whole family down, saving time and money. There is a nice motel about 2 blocks away from the dental office/lab, or accommodations in Yuma.

Feel free to PM me anytime. 

Lori, I forgot to add that if you decide to keep your molar, and go with a root canal, ($275) and a zirconium crown ($400) they generally guarantee the crown for 5 years. Or surgical removal $100.

I was quoted less than $2000. For a zirconium crown with implant. Minus deducting the price of the bone implant $350, which is part of the protocol. All prices are in US dollars. 

We were there @ 6:30 a.m., so as to have time just in case, for additional work.Currently they are closing the border early, 2:00-2:30 pm.

We started Going to Algodones about 12 years ago, and had all the old mercury fillings, done as a kid, removed and replaced with zirconium crowns. There are other composite materials used in crowns, that are less expensive,

Eventually talking with other Brothers, and getting 2nd opinions and quotes, a brother mentioned who he and other dentists go to for their own personal dental work.

Under the current circumstances, The dentists and assistants are taking all the strict necessary corona virus precautions, long sleeve medical suits, goggles, full face shields and face masks, distancing etc.

Edited by Precision

10 hours ago, Precision said:

If you have a chance google Molar City Algodones Mexico. Its an extremely safe little border town on the Border of Arizona and California.

About 10 miles from Yuma. It’s well known for high quality medical care and very affordable dentistry, using the same techniques as here. 

Hi Michael,

I just visited their website - WOW, I had no idea such a place existed!  I couldn't believe the cost difference and, the fact that they actually post their prices!  I love the idea but, it's 1,800 miles away from me and with my current work schedule, not sure how I could make that work.  It would be great to plan a group vacation around dental work!  :oops:Why did I suddenly feel a "senior moment" when I said that!  LOL

Thanks again and I can't wait to tell others too!

On 8/4/2020 at 5:41 PM, Loje said:

Just curious...

My far back molar on the right bottom (not a wisdom tooth) had a root canal several years back.  Now, the root has fractured and my dentist suggests having it pulled.  It is slightly infected but, not painful as the tooth is dead.  My dentist also suggests getting an implant.  He doesn't do this work himself but, he's telling me it would cost about $8,000.00.  WHAT!!!  For one tooth?!?

I would love to just keep the tooth and forget about it BUT, tooth infections can become deadly and this one I don't notice... yet.  Because it is so deep.  The infection will no doubt get worse.

I have tried to research online but the only one's talking about it are dentists trying to sell you on implants.  They basically tell you that if you don't get an implant... your face will cave in, your upper tooth will drop to compensate, your face will get dented, you won't be able to eat and your remaining teeth without support, will shift.  Lovely!

Thanks!

Lori - you and I are the same age ... I had my top molar extracted after horrendous pain - no one said my jaw would not be happy ... about a year later my jaw kept misaligning when eating that I was constantly biting my tongue.  It was painful and then it kind of worked itself out ... fast forward 5 years ... until just this past year where my jaw kind of caved in and I have an awful time with eating - the clunking sound can be heard by others when it is a quiet setting and it is painful.  Without a dental plan I was hoping to find a Witness dentist and see if we could arrange a 1000 year payment plan.  That dental trip to Mexico is not something I can do because of health - but if you can ... I would definitely keep that in mind.  

Another option in another time is Asia. I had some work done in Vietnam. It was $25 for an hours work. Filling for $6. The place we went to was 6 star. They quoted $2,500 to do all 4 crowns and caps and everything. (This is where I was first informed about the shadow.)
I could go there and have a few weeks break, and get my teeth done, and still have change - compared to $AUD.
We have been 3 times to the dentist there (Saigon and Hanoi), and we have nothing but praise.
They do quote over the internet.
Mexico would be closer to you.
I heard Thailand is good too.
I was saving up to get them all done, but when the problem/pain hit me, I was not in a position to go OS.
Now - who knows when travel will start again.

Old (Downunder) Tone

1 hour ago, NW2020 said:

Lori - you and I are the same age ... I had my top molar extracted after horrendous pain - no one said my jaw would not be happy ... about a year later my jaw kept misaligning when eating that I was constantly biting my tongue. 

Thanks for the head's up Jenny, this is what I feared.  So many pros & cons in both directions.

I called my dentist today to ask (beg) for an antibiotic - I realize it's a temporary band-aid, but they declined.  They gave me the "antibiotics are bad for your gut health" lecture.  I was thinking to myself... I can eat yogurt and frankly, restoring my gut health seemed like a better option than dying from sepsis!  But, they didn't agree.  They said that once I develop a fever, then we can talk about antibiotics!!!

I love the Mexico idea but the cost of traveling (the trip, time off work etc) would probably offset the great prices... So, I'm still mulling this over. 

I'm so sorry for your pain and situation...  we all want these issues behind us!  One thing I have been told is that they can give you a "partial" with just one tooth or, a "flipper" although I'm note sure what that is exactly.  The "partial" you take it in & out each day, like wearing contact lens, I suppose.  It may eliminate the jaw issue since your molar won't have to compensate for the empty space below.  But yes, the cost these days (of everything) is just getting crazy.

But, I'm grateful that we live in the times that we do, in terms of medical/dental care.  Can you imagine these problems before modern medicine, 100-200 years ago... before Novocain, before antibiotics... before dentists?  I can't even imagine having excruciating tooth pain back then... when maybe they placed a cloth with Chloroform on your face and you died or, they strapped you down and took out the rusty pliers and then, there were the wooden teeth! :facepalmpo2:

Wondering how Jehovah will deal with teeth in the future... self-renewing, new ones sprouting... I wonder what the original plan for teeth included?

3 minutes ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Another option in another time is Asia. I had some work done in Vietnam. It was $25 for an hours work. Filling for $6. The place we went to was 6 star. They quoted $2,500 to do all 4 crowns and caps and everything. (This is where I was first informed about the shadow.)
I could go there and have a few weeks break, and get my teeth done, and still have change - compared to $AUD.
We have been 3 times to the dentist there (Saigon and Hanoi), and we have nothing but praise.

Tony,

I'm laughing out loud... I LOVE your ideas but, realistically, my trips include grocery store run's and little else.  You must be a real world traveler - how awesome is that!  And $6 fillings - WOW!

But, I barely ever make it out of the city!  Secret #47 about Lori - she lives in the same home she was born in AND her current bed is precisely where her crib was!  No kidding.  I travel for work - I may travel to other US cities for a meeting, but that's about it.  I have covered most of the US and quite a bit of Canada over a lifetime but, that's it...nothing international unless you include Google Earth.  LOL

Can we trade lives?  :whistling: I've heard about the fabulous Asian deals - especially people wanting plastic surgery.  The closest I get is my Asian market!

22 hours ago, Ludwika said:

Don't wait until it does hurt, it will flare up suddenly and you will be in really bad pain. You don't want that to happen at night or on a weekend, when you can't reach the dentist easily. 

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN! 

My brain knows this but my treacherous heart is saying "keep the old diseased worthless tooth!"  

:wall:

18 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I have exactly the same as what you've described, Lori.  Back molar, had root canal, capping broke, pulled it out.  It's been fine having a big gap where the molar once was.  Only one dentist suggested I get the implant as my whole side of my face would cave in.  I panicked, and the cost then was exhorbitant ($5000).  I went for a second opinion, and the dentist said no need to do that.  So I went to Europe instead. 😉

18 hours ago, booboo said:

For me it was the Top right last molar. The surgeon said an implant would only be for the aesthetic value.  Also our Dental Insurance deemed an implant a cosmetic procedure not a medical necessity.  I’ve done fine without it for two years.

Round One and the WINNER is Lucy!  (:P)

Followed by Donna in 2nd place - had her tooth been on the bottom - it would have been a tie!

I love hearing this!!  And then I think about Jenny... :wub:

44 minutes ago, Loje said:

Wondering how Jehovah will deal with teeth in the future... self-renewing, new ones sprouting... I wonder what the original plan for teeth included?

I am kinda counting on some nice new ones ❤️ loosing these like baby teeth...