JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

And you feel that would be alright?

to set up a proxy with 30G of cashing. as long as it is http  not problem but for https  there are some extra steps to take  but stil it is all in the distribution and not in the copying.
the question is why the affords?  limited band with?  dial up? mobile plan?

4 hours ago, esctec said:

2015 the launch of a setup called lantern

You mean that crowdfunded box that was going to receive datacasts from "the Outernet" (a constellation of satellites) ?

I backed one of those little devices. The company is now called https://othernet.is/

The form factor kept changing over the couple years after the goal was funded. Backers were offered the option to receive very alpha-version hardware kits or continue waiting for the final version... 5 years later and it still looks like it's in limbo. I can request a full refund but I mean, the network itself is functioning, but the consumer device must be very low on their list of priorities or something, and I still hold out hope that it could launch one day.

41 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You mean that crowdfunded box that was going to receive datacasts from "the Outernet" (a constellation of satellites) ?

that was the one. with the satellite channel jw already used  it would have been a good option.  of "downloading"data  
https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/us/JW-Broadcasting.html
and  continue  with 
https://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/build-a-longdistance-data-network-using-ham-radio

to set up a proxy with 30G of cashing. as long as it is http  not problem but for https  there are some extra steps to take  but stil it is all in the distribution and not in the copying.
the question is why the affords?  limited band with?  dial up? mobile plan?

The question is this: Do they want the material to be dissipated from the servers of their choice? Yes! Does that include your home device? No.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

53 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The question is this: Do they want the material to be dissipated from the servers of their choice? Yes! Does that include your home device? No.

That's not entirely true. They gave servants and elders the green light to send the video files via their personal messaging account. That includes signal, telegram, and that gross Facebook-owned green one too.

9 hours ago, Thesauron said:

tell youre isp not to cash files.  it is a network technologie not a copying issue. 
if modification of the files is the real issue why not put File integrity monitoring (FIM) in the system

That's not entirely true. They gave servants and elders the green light to send the video files via their personal messaging account. That includes signal, telegram, and that gross Facebook-owned green one too.

Yes’m they will occasionally give approval to other forms of transfer. Such cases are exceptions. They have given BoE’s the right to determine when a file can be transferred via a messenger service.
tell youre isp not to cash files.  it is a network technologie not a copying issue. 
if modification of the files is the real issue why not put File integrity monitoring (FIM) in the system

The idea is that we cannot copy files and put them on our own servers. Regarding the file protection technologies in place, you’d have to ask the branch.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

18 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

we cannot copy files and put them on our own servers

true but we can download and embed files into our emails, meaning storing those files on email servers. and now with messenger clouds, they've made another concession again.

i think it's important to remember the principle(s) behind these rules, which appears to be:

1. observe appropriate copyright laws, which vary from country to country (and which are a lot less black and white than you may think).

• it breaks copyright to edit files and distribute to changed version

2. to the greatest extent possible, help people to download directly from jw.org whenever possible

• if someone we know has real trouble navigating our website, or doesn't have an adequate internet connection, we have been given permission to download files and attach them to emails to send to them
    • it would still be wise to also provide the share link so they can find exactly where on our website this publication came from
  • while publishers wholesale haven't been given permission to distribute videos using messaging apps, new provisions have been made to allow elders and servants do so for videos
  • whether the email rules for publishers and new video rules for elders eventually harmonize (since at the end of the day, email and messaging apps are still all the same thing, internet protocols) remains to be seen

Edited by Brandon

true but we can download and embed files into our emails, meaning storing those files on email servers. and now with messenger clouds, they've made another concession again.

i think it's important to remember the principle(s) behind these rules, which appears to be:

1. observe appropriate copyright laws, which vary from country to country (and which are a lot less black and white than you may think).
  • it breaks copyright to edit files and distribute to changed version

2. to the greatest extent possible, help people to download directly from jw.org whenever possible
  • if someone we know has real trouble navigating our website, or doesn't have an adequate internet connection, we have been given permission to download files and attach them to emails to send to them
    • it would still be wise to also provide the share link so they can find exactly where on our website this publication came from
  • while publishers wholesale haven't been given permission to distribute videos using messaging apps, new provisions have been made to allow elders and servants do so for videos
  • whether the email rules for publishers and new video rules for elders eventually harmonize (since at the end of the day, email and messaging apps are still all the same thing, internet protocols) remains to be seen

It breaks copyright to make a file publicly available without the consent of the copyright owner, not just if it is changed or edited.

Sharing a file with a friend or family member differs a lot from making it publicly available. Hence, when we post a link on one of these forums, for instance, to some cloud service we have set up, it breaks the law, don’t it?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

20 hours ago, Thesauron said:

And yet, we are encouraged to email magazines and publications to interested individuals.  How do we get those files to send?  We download them onto our platform.  Where do we email them from?  Our platform.  

So, we do have permission to download and retransmit Society publications through the Internet by means of Email.  We are also permitted to do the same thing by means of CDRom, DVD, or ThumbDrive.  

*** km 11/15 p. 2 par. 4 Audio Recordings—How to Use Them ***
4 In your territory, would it be beneficial to play a sample of an audio recording in the householder’s language? Might someone benefit from an audio publication that we send him in an e-mail? Could we download an audio publication onto a CD and give it to an interested householder, perhaps along with the printed version? Every complete electronic book, brochure, magazine, or tract that we give someone in the ministry may be counted as a placement. Audio recordings are designed for us to use in our personal study and also to plant seeds of Kingdom truth.—1 Cor. 3:6.

*** km 12/12 p. 5 Our Official Web Site—Use It in Your Ministry ***
Send an Article or a Publication to Someone You Know: Attach a downloaded PDF or an EPUB to an e-mail. Or download an audio version of a publication onto a CD. Each time you give someone who is not baptized a complete electronic book, brochure, or magazine, you may count it as a placement. Material should not be sent anonymously or in bulk. Neither should it be uploaded to any other Internet Web site.—Go to “Publications.”

Are we straining out the gnat on this particular point?

At the same time, we have to ask the question "Why would a publisher want to set up a private network for the purpose of distributing our publications?"  There is no point.  The entire purpose of JWBox is to provide our publications to publishers in areas where Internet access is unreliable or expensive.  If we live in an area like most of the Occident (Western countries), then we all have access to the Internet without such limitations.  Any interested individual can download our publications for themselves without the need to connect to our private network.  

Outside of "playing with some cool new technology we've never encountered before," what would the practical application be for someone where the Internet is stable, reliable, and affordable to set up such a private network?

Edited by Shawnster

And yet, we are encouraged to email magazines and publications to interested individuals.  How do we get those files to send?  We download them onto our platform.  Where do we email them from?  Our platform.  

So, we do have permission to download and retransmit Society publications through the Internet by means of Email.  We are also permitted to do the same thing by means of CDRom, DVD, or ThumbDrive.  

*** km 11/15 p. 2 par. 4 Audio Recordings—How to Use Them ***

4 In your territory, would it be beneficial to play a sample of an audio recording in the householder’s language? Might someone benefit from an audio publication that we send him in an e-mail? Could we download an audio publication onto a CD and give it to an interested householder, perhaps along with the printed version? Every complete electronic book, brochure, magazine, or tract that we give someone in the ministry may be counted as a placement. Audio recordings are designed for us to use in our personal study and also to plant seeds of Kingdom truth.—1 Cor. 3:6.

*** km 12/12 p. 5 Our Official Web Site—Use It in Your Ministry ***

Send an Article or a Publication to Someone You Know: Attach a downloaded PDF or an EPUB to an e-mail. Or download an audio version of a publication onto a CD. Each time you give someone who is not baptized a complete electronic book, brochure, or magazine, you may count it as a placement. Material should not be sent anonymously or in bulk. Neither should it be uploaded to any other Internet Web site.—Go to “Publications.”

Are we straining out the gnat on this particular point?

Yes, this is on a person to person basis. We do not put up links to our cloud service for anyone to download. It really isn’t a very difficult concept.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It breaks copyright to make a file publicly available without the consent of the copyright owner

that's not actually true, and is doubly misleading since we're still dancing around the fact that "copyright," by definition, is a law to protect the ability for a creator to earn money. Since our publications are distributed for free, copyright is about attribution, not depriving Bethel from making money that they otherwise would have made because we are "giving it away for free, wrongfully."

I think what you'd be better to focus on is what actions breach the Terms of Use of jw.org, while keeping in mind that people can receive our files without visiting our website, therefore not having agreed to its terms of use.

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

If we live in an area like most of the Occident (Western countries), then we all have access to the Internet without such limitations.  Any interested individual can download our publications for themselves without the need to connect to our private network.  

Definitely not, unless you think South America is an "eastern country" ??

Over 1,700 kits have been sent to our brothers in Africa, Oceania, and South America, and plans are underway to send them to many more congregations

- jw.org > A Small Box That Delivers Spiritual Food

If you're trying to say that people in developed countries have easy access to the internet then you're still mistaken and i'd urge you to check your privilege.

Come on, people. Let's not lose sight of what is important here.

JW Box was created for the purpose of the Branches to furnish a way for those with limited or no Internet access to access our spiritual food - that supplied by the FDS.

The article they posted in the video was to bring joy to those now able to access the digital files and to those of us that rejoice that our Brothers have access to the same digital files all of us do. And, yes, if we are on this forum - we have access to the digital files directly from JW.org.

When the Headquarters published the video they did not intend for us to see if we could duplicate what they did, find a way around what they designed, make our own device to offer downloads of our literature in places "we" think should get it "from us"  or  argue about it any way-shape-or-form.

Let's quit quibbling and bickering on the interpretation of the "Copyright Laws" and be glad our Brothers in areas where the Branches are deploying these devices can now have easy access to our digital files and let them decide on where and when such devices are needed in areas they have not yet reached.

We do not need to make our on JW Box or argue about making one - we have better things to do!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

And, yes, if we are on this forum - we have access to the digital files directly from JW.org.

no, John, not at all. I am right now looking at whether I can continue to afford home internet. I spent an hour in the library with a mask on today, and went to the food bank last week for the first time in months, and my internet is going up by $5 next month.

If I have to hear one more person say “look, we’re all online here, we’re all equal!” then i think i will legitimately have to excuse myself to throw up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

no, John, not at all. I am right now looking at whether I can continue to afford home internet. I spent an hour in the library with a mask on today, and went to the food bank last week for the first time in months, and my internet is going up by $5 next month.

If I have to hear one more person say “look, we’re all online here, we’re all equal!” then i think i will legitimately have to excuse myself to throw up

Brandon, are there others places, like: outside Starbucks, grocery stores, government facilities in your area that have free internet access?

I'm glad you've been able to be on for now.

I sure hope our meetings start again soo  too. Our hall offered free WiFi for the publishers so ones in your situation you could get the publications.  In fact, you can still go by our hall (without going in) and connect for this very reason. We didnt change the password from before COVID.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Our hall offered free WiFi for the publishers so ones in your situation you could get the publications.  In fact, you can still go by our hall (without going in) and connect for this very reason. We didnt change the password from before COVID.

ours used to, but we have a double hall + CO apartment and at peak times we had nearly 2000 devices connected (think: one person could have a phone and tablet).

even though they had multiple routers, one network for the sound desk, one for the CO, etc, we were having serious problems keeping KHConf running nevermind streaming for special events. eventually they scrapped the wifi-for-all-publishers idea and now only the operating committee knows it. anyway, i dont have a car and the KH is like 40 minutes by bus so i’ll just keep walking to the library if it does come down to it

I wonder what libraries are like in the areas that were shown in the update video.

I have a feeling there weren't many and seriously doubt they'd have free WiFi, eh?

I see they updated the article series "How Your Donations Are Used" to include the jwbox thingy. They say they cost about $75 a piece. What a great use of donated funds.

I wish you the best too my brother.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Definitely not, unless you think South America is an "eastern country" ??

South America is not part of the Western World.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

The Western world, also known as the West, refers to various regions, nations and states, depending on the context, most often consisting of the majority of Europe,[a] Australasia, and the Americas.[6] The Western world is also known as the Occident (from the Latin word occidens, "sunset, West"), in contrast to the Orient (from the Latin word oriens, "rise, East"), or Eastern world. It might mean the Northern half of the North–South divide. Western culture is commonly said to include: Australia, Canada, all European member countries of the EFTA and EU, the European microstates, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States.[8][9]

Edited by Shawnster

the other friends in your congregation who lack internet access...  How do they continue to get online publications without paying for internet access?

well, they dont get the online publications, do they. they get printed ones instead. and the videos, they watch at the KH except not anymore.

i’ll be honest, there aren’t many without it. but there are also very few without cars

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

that's not actually true, and is doubly misleading since we're still dancing around the fact that "copyright," by definition, is a law to protect the ability for a creator to earn money. Since our publications are distributed for free, copyright is about attribution, not depriving Bethel from making money that they otherwise would have made because we are "giving it away for free, wrongfully."

I think what you'd be better to focus on is what actions breach the Terms of Use of jw.org, while keeping in mind that people can receive our files without visiting our website, therefore not having agreed to its terms of use.

It is a misunderstanding that it is mainly to protect the ability for the creator to earn money. It is intended to rote the the right of the copyright owner, usually the creator, to decide how it is used. Free distribution or not does not matter. Otherwise our legal department would not work so hard to protect our publications.

Edited by Thesauron

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”