JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

From the explanation in the Broadcast - JW Box is being supplied to Congregations in places where Internet access is difficult and/or to costly for all to have.

It is not an item that can be requested by individual publishers - it is determined by the Branches where it is "needed" and made available to those areas.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

And the data is loaded by the branch.  The updates are branch supplied.

You could make one for yourself by getting a "wifi-hotspot" device with a memory card and a USB port.  You could then download all of the material from JW.ORG to play in your home.  But isn't that what your phone or tablet does already?

37 minutes ago, jpl said:

It's like device "hootoo tripmate titan" (45€)

May be also useful for hospitalized brothers and sisters

It was designed for people and areas without internet access.  If you have internet, there is no reason to use the box. Your regular cell phone and ordinary tablet have the same (or more) publications and videos than would be available on the box.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:59 AM, jpl said:

Help me  for "jw box"

What are features (the characteristics) of "jw box"?
Is it possible to order it ?

Merci pour votre aide

I think it's a FANTEC 1759 MWiD25-DS-WT
WiFi docking station for around 50 €.

I bought something similar as a test.
A Verbatim MediaShare Wireless only € 14 including free shipping.

Both are no longer entirely up to date with the latest technology.

I haven't had time to test it yet.

I wonder if we will begin discussing the acts of posting and distributing our organization's copyrighted material over our own personal, wireless distribution point.  I know it would be OK for me to send my personal download of publications wirelessly to my own device.  But would it be OK to wirelessly distribute it to my neighbors (like a pirate radio station?).

I wouldn’t know exactly what our brothers are using, but there are a number of small router boards available that run Open Source Software, like openwrt, that offer the ability to stream or access data off a USB drive. Many are like development boards designed with prototyping in mind. Programming them is not for the faint of heart.

Here’s one on eBay with a similar form factor and port layout:

Smaknâ Som9331 OpenWrt Ar9331 WiFi Module: https://www.ebay.com/p/5014425330

27E2219D-FC8B-42D8-B048-46BED19312B9.jpeg.14ee8d67db49ade05213f6605c51a4fb.jpeg

ESPRESSObin sells a similar device with openwrt software that can act as a multimedia server, among other features. The form factor is slightly different. Marvell ESPRESSObinhttp://espressobin.net

B524E4BA-8741-474C-BA7C-FBB5942293AA.png.a5cab3b4ac2f4031f3152c397e34da6f.png

Edited by digital_dreamer

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

On 9/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, jwhess said:

I wonder if we will begin discussing the acts of posting and distributing our organization's copyrighted material over our own personal, wireless distribution point.  I know it would be OK for me to send my personal download of publications wirelessly to my own device.  But would it be OK to wirelessly distribute it to my neighbors (like a pirate radio station?).

We can "View, download, and print Watch Tower’s copyrighted artwork, electronic publications, music, photos, text, or videos from this website for your own personal and non-commercial purposes."

We cannot "Post artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, video-sharing site, or social network)."

I am not sure which category it would fall into.

In order for the Box to send out a wifi signal, doesn't it have to be connected to a network? I use my phone's hotspot to update our wifi only tablets .the phone receives a signal from a cellular tower .. T-Mobile.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

3 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

In order for the Box to send out a wifi signal, doesn't it have to be connected to a network? I use my phone's hotspot to update our wifi only tablets .the phone receives a signal from a cellular tower .. T-Mobile.

The box broadcasts the files that are on the USB drive. It doesn't need to download anything from a network.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

In order for the Box to send out a wifi signal, doesn't it have to be connected to a network?

No. To receive from the Internet it would have to be connected to a network of some type - for it to "send" a WiFi signal ... it IS the network. That is the whole point of the JW Box ... it provides a WiFI network for those close to it can connect and d/l  -  the files d/l are on the USB drive ... no need for Internet

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 9/9/2020 at 9:08 PM, jwhess said:

I also wonder, in relation to your post, if the contract the Organization has with the file distribution services like akamai and amazon, requires some month download quota. If lots of brothers started doing this kind of thing in a general way that could affect that hypothetical quota

I remember a long time ago when we asked for the CD-ROM at the literature stand that we were advised to ask for our own CD and not make copies to others. The reason that was said to me was because the Org. had calculated the cost of the endeavor based on an estimation of brothers that would ask for it and corresponding donations they would do for the CD (an estimation cost of a general encyclopedia like Microsoft Encarta was even informed from the stand) if copies were delivered brothers would think they wouldn't need to donate nothing in particular for that item...

19 hours ago, jayrtom said:

I also wonder, in relation to your post, if the contract the Organization has with the file distribution services like akamai and amazon, requires some month download quota. If lots of brothers started doing this kind of thing in a general way that could affect that hypothetical quota

I remember a long time ago when we asked for the CD-ROM at the literature stand that we were advised to ask for our own CD and not make copies to others. The reason that was said to me was because the Org. had calculated the cost of the endeavor based on an estimation of brothers that would ask for it and corresponding donations they would do for the CD (an estimation cost of a general encyclopedia like Microsoft Encarta was even informed from the stand) if copies were delivered brothers would think they wouldn't need to donate nothing in particular for that item...

Not only that, if the brothers calculated a specific run based on perceived demand, they could end up with a surplus of unused supplies if we decided to make copies for others ourselves, thinking we were “helping out.”

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

The Jw Box reminds me of the raspberry pi my son was experimenting with to put videos, song and pictures on from jw.org. He set it up to download from jw.org by itself. About 6 or 7 years ago, when we lived in Louisiana, my son programed it for a congregation that was not able to play videos for their congregation meetings. He had showed it to our CO and he liked it. When he moved to Alabama, the congregation didn't have a way to show videos for the meetings, so they used his raspberry pi to play the songs, videos and pictures, until they got a remodel done.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Short answer is “no”. Until the branch says you have permission we direct people to jw.org.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2015 the launch of a setup called lantern  i heard of it and tried to let someone look in to it. but it seems it was not interesting enough
it was almost the same as the jw box but got its data from a simple satellite stream 
still something to think about is packed radio  data transmission over 300 km
and the most convenient one could be a app change in a sync options by wifi or and Bluetooth

On 9/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, Thesauron said:

Short answer is “no”. Until the branch says you have permission we direct people to jw.org.

did you notice files are now distributed by amazone network? to multiple servers always close to the downloader???
Proxy and Caching files is not the same as redistribution. 
so simply said make a proxy server cash all of jw.org and share this connection

did you notice files are now distributed by amazone network? to multiple servers always close to the downloader???
Proxy and Caching files is not the same as redistribution. 
so simply said make a proxy server cash all of jw.org and share this connection

And you feel that would be alright?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”