JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

liquorice

Wonderful liquorice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice

Liquorice flavour is found in a wide variety of candies or sweets. In most of these candies, the taste is reinforced by aniseed oil so the actual content of liquorice is very low. Liquorice confections are primarily purchased by consumers in Europe, but are also popular in other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.[22]

In the Netherlands, liquorice confectionery (drop) is one of the most popular forms of sweets. It is sold in many forms. Mixing it with mint, menthol, aniseed, or laurel is quite popular. Mixing it with ammonium chloride (salmiak) is also popular as it is in Finland. A popular example of salmiak liquorice in the Netherlands is known as zoute drop (salty liquorice), but contains very little salt, i.e., sodium chloride.[26] Strong, salty sweets are also popular in Nordic countries where liquorice flavoured alcohols are also popular, particularly in Denmark and Finland.

Dried sticks of the liquorice root are also a traditional confectionery in their own right in the Netherlands as were they once in Britain although their popularity has waned in recent decades. They were sold simply as sticks of zoethout ('sweet wood') to chew on as a candy. Through chewing and suckling, the intensely sweet flavour is released. The sweetness is 30 to 50 times as strong as sucrose, without causing damage to teeth. Since about the 1970s, zoethout has become rarer and been replaced by easier to consume candies (including 'drop').

Pontefract in Yorkshire, England, was the first place where liquorice mixed with sugar began to be used as a sweet in the same way it is today.[27]  Pontefract cakes were originally made there.[28] In County Durham, Yorkshire and Lancashire, it is colloquially known as 'Spanish', supposedly because Spanish monks grew liquorice root at Rievaulx Abbey near Thirsk.[29]

Edited by bohemian

Panda is a good quality licorice candy, red and black. 

It’s also a medicinal herb used for cough, and is anti-viral and anti-bacterial.

I’ve  tinctured the root and use it for this and other reasons ..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was working in the government office where 99 % of the work force was Muslim, my superior officer gave me a packet of liquorice that was given to her. Too scared to eat it because she thought it was made from liquor. 😁. Even after I had goggled up about the stuff, they all still refused to eat it. I wasn't too sure what it was, probably made from the root of a plant. That was what I had guessed. So I enjoyed the sweets.  I believed the Chinese are quite fond of adding liquorice to their herbal medicine.  

Spoiler

image.png.c82cc027de7ec332a464747f64ef4841.png

• Liquorice, a flowering plant of the bean family  from the root of which a sweet, aromatic flavouring can be extracted. 
  • The liquorice  plant is a herbaceous perennial legume native to Western Asia, North Africa and southern Europe
  • Liquorice is used as a flavouring in candies and tobacco, particularly in some European and West Asian countries.
  • Liquorice extracts have been used in herbalism and traditional medicine

On 7/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, surfergirl said:

Occasionally I love Sambucca

Hi Sis Gabe, how have you been ?

Wondering is Sambucca the same or better than Ouzo ?

Have you tried Sambucca “Con la mosca” or “With the fly”

3 coffee beans added ?

We stopped in Rhodes Greece back in 04 on a Mediterranean cruise.

Ouzo was free flowing in the tourist section...what a treat !