JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Afghanistan has fallen to the Taliban!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 963 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

9 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

The 15-member council issued a joint statement after UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the meeting that the world must unite to combat the "global terrorist threat in Afghanistan."

"I appeal to the Security Council -- and the international community as a whole -- to stand together, to work together and act together," Guterres added.https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210816-un-calls-for-unity-against-global-terrorist-threat-in-afghanistan

https://www.un.org/press/en/2021/sc14604.doc.htm - here´s the oficial statement on the link.

PRESS RELEASE

SC/14604

16 AUGUST 2021

SECURITY COUNCIL

Security Council Press Statement on Afghanistan

The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President T.S. Tirumurti (India):

The members of the Security Council called for an immediate cessation of all hostilities and the establishment, through inclusive negotiations, of a new Government that is united, inclusive and representative — including with the full, equal and meaningful participation of women.  They underlined that institutional continuity and adherence to Afghanistan’s international obligations, as well as the safety and security of all Afghan and international citizens, must be ensured.

The members of the Security Council called for an immediate end to the violence in Afghanistan, the restoration of security, civil and constitutional order, and urgent talks to resolve the current crisis of authority in the country and to arrive at a peaceful settlement through an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned process of national reconciliation.  They underscored that a sustainable end to the conflict in Afghanistan can only be achieved through an inclusive, just, durable and realistic political settlement that upholds human rights, including for women, children and minorities.  The members of the Security Council called on parties to adhere to international norms and standards on human rights and put an end to all abuses and violations in this regard.

Click on the link to read the entire release.  - Shawn

Edited by Shawnster

Do not post entire articles. Excerpts only

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

10 hours ago, Sofia said:

Click on the link to read the entire release.  - Shawn

Thank you 😊 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

7 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

This from Aljazeera News/August 17, 2021

Taliban says no one will use Afghan territory to launch attacks

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid says group won’t allow territory ‘to be used against anybody or any country’.

Yeah... sure :whistling:

Little respect in the reports here: 

The United Nations chief said Monday that reports coming in from Afghanistan told of abuses against women by the Taliban, while Kabul’s ambassador to the world body said residents have been reporting targeted killings, door-to-door searches and lootings, a day after the Islamist group completed its stunning military takeover of the country.

He said he was “particularly concerned by accounts of mounting human rights violations against the women and girls of Afghanistan who fear a return to the darkest days” in the 1990s when the Taliban ruled and imposed draconian measures on women, including barring girls from getting an education.https://www.timesofisrael.com/targeted-killings-abuse-of-women-reported-after-taliban-takeover-un-officials/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I thought the Afghans wanted the US peace keepers to leave.i kept wondering how they hoped to control the talibans without external help of stronger forces.

it seems like they succumb to the pressure from other countries in the middle east who didn't like the US and just wanted them out of the region at all cost even if it means surrendering to the talibans.

Ive heard from the media that the Afghans are actually satisfied with this regime change,which seem strange to me especially considering how restrictive and brutal people are already worried it will be.

what i see from the taliban takeover  is simply a perpetuation of chaos .in little or no time another terrorist group will arise and hope to have its own turn.or perhaps series of protests will soon ensue against the brutal regime and it will just be a vicious cycle of social unrest and instability.

Today President Biden held a press conference at 1:00 EST.

I wanted to listen to it but I wasn't near a television.  So, I went to my Spectrum app on my phone.

Biden was running late and FOX News was showing video from the Kabul airport.

The app opened in the middle of a conversation, a journalist interviewing someone who was seeking a flight out.

I would swear I heard the person interviewed say "I believe in Jehovah".

It was so quick all I could do is ask myself 'Did he say what I think he said'?

I wished I had the ability to rewind.

I'm not saying the man was Afghan.  He could have been a foreign national.

I will watch the nightly news and see if they play the clip again.

7 hours ago, Ishaya said:

Ive heard from the media that the Afghans are actually satisfied with this regime change,which seem strange to me especially considering how restrictive and brutal people are already worried it will be.

I don't think Afghans in general are happy with the Taliban. The Taliban were already in power there for a few years in the 1990s and it was a regime of terror. No wonder that so many thousands are trying to leave the country no matter how.

https://www.businessinsider.com/taliban-fighters-kill-journalist-relative-door-to-door-hunts-2021-8

They were killing relatives of those that didn't surrender to them - 

Taliban fighters killed a journalist's relative as they step up door-to-door hunts for people with links to the West

Taliban fighters killed the relative of a Deutsche Welle journalist in Afghanistan as the group steps up its searches for people connected to or who worked for the West.

The German broadcaster Deutsche Welle said that Taliban fighters who were searching for its journalist had shot dead one of their family members, and seriously injured another relative, while other family members escaped and are now on the run.

It reported that the Taliban were searching door-to-door for the journalist, who now works in Germany.

10 hours ago, carlos said:

I don't think Afghans in general are happy with the Taliban. The Taliban were already in power there for a few years in the 1990s and it was a regime of terror. No wonder that so many thousands are trying to leave the country no matter how.

Ive been thinking the same too.Its just that considering that there has been so much agitation in the middle east to break free from the US imperialism,they may seem happy somehow to finally get the US out,although the taliban taking over may be considered a cold comfort.

I hear most of those trying to leave the country are the US citizens and afghans official who supported the US presence because they fear reprisal attacks by the talibans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/afghanistan-visa-refugees-us.html

Thousands Who Helped the U.S. in Afghanistan Are Trapped. What Happens Next?

Many of those who worked alongside U.S. troops have waited years for visas to come to the United States. The speedy withdrawal of forces left most of them behind.

Tens of thousands of Afghan nationals risked their lives to assist the United States military in Afghanistan, many of them working as interpreters alongside American soldiers in combat. Now, after the Taliban’s takeover, they are more desperate than ever to leave — but swift, safe passage to the United States may prove elusive.

Among them are those who worked with the U.S. military, qualifying them and their families for special immigrant visas. However, thousands are stuck in a yearslong backlog that is only ballooning as the situation on the ground deteriorates after the withdrawal of American troops.

16 hours ago, Doug said:

Today President Biden held a press conference at 1:00 EST.

I wanted to listen to it but I wasn't near a television.  So, I went to my Spectrum app on my phone.

Biden was running late and FOX News was showing video from the Kabul airport.

The app opened in the middle of a conversation, a journalist interviewing someone who was seeking a flight out.

I would swear I heard the person interviewed say "I believe in Jehovah".

It was so quick all I could do is ask myself 'Did he say what I think he said'?

I wished I had the ability to rewind.

I'm not saying the man was Afghan.  He could have been a foreign national.

I will watch the nightly news and see if they play the clip again.

It could be that we have our brothers in full time service there.I pray that Jehovah keep them safe,it must be very challenging for them.

After watching a few news reports, it seems Trump would have never have let Afghans including those who worked and supported the US, come to America, feeling they would be “letting in all the terrorists in.” Refusing to give visas. Now it’s different with Biden and thousands are now allowed to leave and come to America and get visas. Maybe this is Jehovah’s way of shaking some of these precious ones out in order to hear the good news maybe for the first time? 

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-58279900

Taliban arrest top Afghan cleric

The Taliban have arrested an influential Afghan cleric who acted an advisor to the ousted president, Ashraf Ghani.

Maulvi Mohammad Sardar Zadran was the former head of Afghanistan's national council of religious scholars, the country's largest religious organisation. His son said he'd been seized by the Taliban in Khost province. A photo has been released appearing to show Mr Sardar Zadran blindfolded and seated.

The cleric has a large following and is reported to have called for a revolt against the Taliban.

It’s official All US Troops are no longer In Afghanistan Ending The Longest War in  History….20…... Years!!! This is Major News.. I wonder what happens next…

The news media even said that some American citizens were left behind…in Afghanistan and not sure they can go back and get them..

The War is Finished 

https://nypost.com/2021/09/01/pope-francis-quotes-putin-during-afghanistan-criticism/

oops! sayings like this may get him in real trouble!

Pope Francis mistakenly quotes Putin while ripping West’s involvement in Afghanistan

He said his thoughts were best summed up in a quote by Germany’s Angela Merkel, whom he called “one of the world’s greatest political figures” — before actually quoting Putin’s latest attack on the West.

“It is necessary to put an end to the irresponsible policy of intervening from outside and building democracy in other countries, ignoring the traditions of the peoples,” the pope said, using his own translation into Spanish.

43 minutes ago, Shannie said:

It’s official All US Troops are no longer In Afghanistan Ending The Longest War in  History….20…... Years!!! This is Major News.. I wonder what happens next…

The news media even said that some American citizens were left behind…in Afghanistan and not sure they can go back and get them..

The War is Finished 

134A199D-8FD7-438C-9A1F-FB3590073D95.jpeg

86DDE48B-CF07-48F4-AA1A-E7566FD5D004.jpeg

C68E65F1-99BB-404D-A811-9D09480B0CE0.jpeg

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2021/09/04/mine-action-team-in-afghanistan-foster-pkg-vpx.cnn

( video )

The Taliban is asking for help locating explosives they laid

The head of the UN Mine Action Team in Afghanistan says the Taliban is asking for help to locate and remove explosives left from war including ones they laid themselves. CNN's Max Foster reports.