JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Six More Weeks

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 815 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Yes, he saw his shadow. It means 6 more weeks of winter. https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/punxsutawney-phil-prepares-make-groundhog-day-prediction-82619847

Every February 2nd, he punch in and out on his time clock to predict this. I think we need to punch him out for good and had him for dinner.

Edited by Dustparticle

On 2/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, Dustparticle said:

. It means 6 more weeks of winter

21 hours ago, Shawnster said:

the spring equinox is 6 weeks away. 

Or it’s only 6 weeks until spring,

But of course here in Michigan this all means nothing to us.  Just wait 5 minutes as well as Remember to wear your bathing suit under your goose down jacket….:lol1:

I think there are about 70 countries that observe DST, but even in the US not all states do, such as Arizona and Hawaii.

But there are some practical reasons too; some people go to work so early in the morning in the dark, and when they leave work it is dark again. They never see the sun until they have days off. My daughter had a job like that for 6 years. She worked in a small office that didn't even have windows. This is the case with some school children too, although schools have windows but they don't have the actual sunlight outdoors when they leave school. In some states it causes cases of depression such as SAD, Seasonal affective disorder, a type of depression that's related to changes in seasons, happening in climates where there is less sunlight at certain times of the year, usually the Fall and Winter (also called the Winter blues) when the days get shorter even to the point of thoughts of suicide, and begin to feel better in the Spring with longer daylight hours. In a former congregation that we lived in, it was a cold climate, skies gray most of the time,  a sister had a daughter with this condition. It changed her entire personality. These people use Light Therapy where they sit if front of a very bright box of artificial light every day for a period of time to help them cope.

So there are as many situations where people feel it is not good for them. There are bills in Congress for many states waiting to pass it year round but it's a controversial subject, many pros and cons.

I personally would like it year 'round because I live alone like many seniors, and don't like the dark..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

We don't have daylight saving here in the West.  There was a 3 year trial a number of years ago then it went to a referendum and was voted against because 'it upsets cows', 'parents couldn't get their children to sleep' and 'furnishings fade more with that extra hour of sunlight' 🙄 I personally love it and  it was great when I went home to England for a holiday in the summer and it didn't get dark till 10.30 pm.  

Most of the Eastern states have it though and it puts NSW and Victoria 3 hours ahead of us. It can be a bit of a pest if you need to contact a business at 2.30pm and then you realise they've already gone home for the day and are probably having their first wine of the evening. 😂

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Right now, we are observing Standard Savings Time. Arizona and Hawaii are on SST 'year round' because they don't observe DST. When we change to DST on March 13th this year but never change our clocks again it would be 'year round' DST same as they are 'year round' standard time. At least 19 states would like to keep it permanent.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I know you're kidding, but actually you are right. The phrase Daylight Saving Time really isn't accurate since no daylight is actually saved. It's merely taking an hour away from the morning and adding it to the evening.

Daylight Shifting Time would be better, and Daylight Time Shifting more accurate, but neither is politically desirable.

Also should be Standard Time without the Saving word, and there is no 's' in Daylight Saving Time..🙃

Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account..🙂

...so much more about DST on the internet..why's, when and wherefore's. I'm only correcting the inaccuracies of my former post..🤥

On 2/5/2022 at 8:27 AM, Dove said:

Right now, we are observing Standard Savings Time. Arizona and Hawaii are on SST 'year round' because they don't observe DST. When we change to DST on March 13th this year but never change our clocks again it would be 'year round' DST same as they are 'year round' standard time. At least 19 states would like to keep it permanent.

I'd prefer it to stay as Standard Time (like it is right now) so the entire country will stay on consistent time zones. Leaving DST year round will be problematic in winter, as children will always be going to school when it's dark outside. 

I think DST is silly, to be honest. I've never seen value in it - the sun does not change. It doesn't matter to me when it gets dark.. it matters when it gets light. Standard Time keeps that sorted. 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I'd prefer it to stay as Standard Time (like it is right now) so the entire country will stay on consistent time zones. Leaving DST year round will be problematic in winter, as children will always be going to school when it's dark outside. 

I think DST is silly, to be honest. I've never seen value in it - the sun does not change. It doesn't matter to me when it gets dark.. it matters when it gets light. Standard Time keeps that sorted. 

The reason DST was started was for people who had regular jobs and also did farming.  By setting the clocks ahead, people would be arriving at work an hour earlier and getting off an hour earlier.  This left them an extra hour of daylight for agricultural work after their factory job was completed for the day.  Now if we could just find anyone today that has a factory job and does farming work after their factory job......

Arizona and Hawaii voted to stay on standard time year-round many years ago.  Florida wanted to stay on DST year-round, but I never found out how that came out.  I thought that was stupid. Children are already having to catch the school bus in the dark in the winter.  It's really bad if you live on the eastern side of any time zone.  Why make it worse?

Yes, he saw his shadow. It means 6 more weeks of winter. https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/punxsutawney-phil-prepares-make-groundhog-day-prediction-82619847

Every February 2nd, he punch in and out on his time clock to predict this. I think we need to punch him out for good and had him for dinner.
For Dusty
1b1290c804f146911ed0ecd0113af671.jpg

The province of Ontario, Canada, wanted to make a change a couple of years ago to be permanently on DST. But they didn't want to do it alone, without the province of Quebec and New York State making the same change. Well, those neighbours didn't want to, so the twice-a-year time change is still in Ontario.

"...not open to any agreement..."

Edited by Sheep