JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food shortages are everywhere

53 minutes ago, vern said:

Lets say it this way.... Jehovah predicted what evil mankind would  do to the world.... 

This stuff just isn.t happening by chance.  Its a purpose.  Sure we can blame Satans influence. But in the end... On the ground.... Humans are doing this to others.

And some of it is just plain ignorance and not knowing any better / lack of wisdom… not always necessarily nefarious.

Jehovahs people make mistakes too, you know. 😉

1 hour ago, pnutts said:

Jehovah's people make mistakes?  Are you sure.

I am the 7th and last child of my parents.

They stopped when they got to me   7 is perfection.

After all I am Peter Perfect, or Perfect Peter. Take your pick. :eek:

If every JW family at the moment decided to have 7 children, no offense, but, it would be what is commonly referred to as a ‘schmozzle’

( I didn’t bother to check but I think that’s a Yiddish term 😂 )

Edited by Susan Cook

On 3/26/2022 at 12:31 AM, Susan Cook said:

some of it is just plain ignorance and not knowing any better / lack of wisdom… not always necessarily nefarious.

21 hours ago, Doug said:

GREED meets OPPORTUNITY.

But there is also willful, there's a lot of wilful. Working in retail I see good food and drink (especially drink as that my line) being dumped that doesn't have to be. If you try to speak up it's, "NO! That's what we're doing and don't you start Hugh" Me :zipmouth:But I've been in the business long enough to know this varies by manager and while some push saving others push waste. This is true large scale as well as small and I believe this is what Br @vern was referring to.

Side note, one store manager added to my jobs turning what was going to be dumped into money and happy customers (previous store manager had been a nightmare and left mess all over the place (I'd also had to take him to the Labour Court)). I got very good at doing that. He was reprimanded for cleaning up the previous guys mess (yes you read that right) and moved to another store in disgrace. After a while I was taken off that job in a very nasty manner and the amount being dumped shot up again. There is a lot of wilful, as a half Scot it pains my soul. 

19 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

But there is also willful, there's a lot of wilful. Working in retail I see good food and drink (especially drink as that my line) being dumped that doesn't have to be. If you try to speak up it's, "NO! That's what we're doing and don't you start Hugh" Me :zipmouth:But I've been in the business long enough to know this varies by manager and while some push saving others push waste. This is true large scale as well as small and I believe this is what Br @vern was referring to.

Side note, one store manager added to my jobs turning what was going to be dumped into money and happy customers (previous store manager had been a nightmare and left mess all over the place (I'd also had to take him to the Labour Court)). I got very good at doing that. He was reprimanded for cleaning up the previous guys mess (yes you read that right) and moved to another store in disgrace. After a while I was taken off that job in a very nasty manner and the amount being dumped shot up again. There is a lot of wilful, as a half Scot it pains my soul. 

UGH I hate seeing food go to waste.. such a HUGE pet peeve….

3 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

UGH I hate seeing food go to waste.. such a HUGE pet peeve….

Yep, and me. So many can't get enough to eat on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and yet Western society throws food away like it's garbage.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

One thing that's so wrong about this system is how much food is lost to greed simply by choosing the most "profitable crop".  Here in central and eastern WA, there used to be hundreds of square miles of wheat fields.  But, someone discovered this area was perfect for growing hay that was very nutritious.  So nutritious it have race horses an advantage.  People in Japan were willing to pay top dollar for it.  So, the wheat crop was swapped for hay for racing and show horses.    So now when I hear about the price of bread going up because of a shortage of wheat, I simply remark, "What the hay??"

Pensioners here were just given a pension increase to help them 'to cover rising inflation'.  The increase is $20.  Can you hear my derisive laughter???

That won't even cover the increased cost of petrol to put in a car, never mind the amount food has already gone up and is only going to keep increasing.  I'm going to try buying a little bit extra each shopping day to put in the store  cupboard.

21 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I also wanted to do angry emoji and confused emoji.  But I settled on laughing raucously emoji.....😉

Sometimes one feels the need to do multiple emojis, doesn't one. 

The people in government who do these things have no idea what it's like living in the real world.

Sometimes one feels the need to do multiple emojis, doesn't one. 

The people in government who do these things have no idea what it's like living in the real world.

They might, but they don’t really care about it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

They might, but they don’t really care about it.

Ha! Yes, that as well. They don't have to care, do they.  They can well afford life.  But most of them don't even know the cost of a litre of milk or a loaf of bread.

Edited by GeordieGirl

Ha! Yes, that as well. They don't have to care, do they.  They can well afford life.  But most of them don't even know the cost of a litre of milk or a loaf of bread.

Not only that. Many of them, maybe most, entered politics with the idea that the can make a difference. Moat learn rather quickly how difficult or even impossible it is. People need to collaborate, and that is very difficult. And if one person, or a few, takes over, it still ends up with people suffering.

Some solve it by demonising a group of people and indoctrinating the rest that this is right and proper, and then let that group take the blame and the brunt of the suffering. One famous such group is the jewish people. Another the roma. Or palestinians. Or people with a different skin colour. Some even say it is “God’s will” and thereby blame him.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Brazil is currently speaking at the UN. They brought out that expectations of food shortages for 2022 were already catastrophic before the war started. I looked and found this report from over a year ago. 
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/11/30/americas/latin-america-caribbean-hunger-food-insecurity-un-report-intl/index.html

Obviously with the war, the expectations are even worse. I guess we shall see the extent this affects  all of the friends this year. 

Again, I hear Br Morris “cheer up. It’s going to get worse”

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Proverbs 22:3 popped into my head just now - 

The shrewd one sees the danger and conceals himself,

But the inexperienced keep right on going and suffer the consequences.

This scripture can cover many situations but one scenario that doesn't readily come to mind is the thought that even those of us who normally have plenty of nutritious food to eat, could well be affected by what is happening in the world right now. Maybe we live a relatively comfortable existence with a few savings in the bank, but we know what can happen in a short space of time - rising prices  as we are currently seeing; hyper inflation; collapse of world stockmarkets; the bottom falling out of our local currency - all of these things have happened overnight, sometimes just in local places, like Venezuela a few years back and Russia in the last few weeks, and sometimes globally like 1987 and 2007.

We are daily moving closer and closer to the GT and,as sister Dawn quoted from Brother Morris in her comment above - "Cheer up, it's going to get worse".

In wealthy countries, even knowing what is before us,  it is easy to think that these particular sorts of things won't happen to us, but for me personally, I am trying to look ahead at what could happen, and I have started to buy a little bit extra each time I go shopping, so I can stock my pantry up a bit with non-perishable goods.  Possibly some may think I'm overreacting and a little bit bonkers, but I'd rather have food in my cupboard when the  crisis arrives, with a little extra to maybe share with others, than have money in the bank that is unobtainable and worthless.

I think those living in the city will be more affected by hungar than those in the countryside.my place is an agrarian settlement, we don't lack food that much here.during the raining season there's a lot of farming taking place so we get alot of food reserved for the harmattan period.

I sympathize though with the city dwellers.

Global food prices have reached “a new all-time high,” the head of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization said on Friday, “hitting the poorest the hardest.”

It is now more than two years that the COVID-19 pandemic continues to negatively impact our lives, our health and our economies,” ....

......... prices for staple foodstuffs such as wheat and vegetable oils have soared, ............. 

Conflict has driven up international prices for wheat, maize and vegetable oils, ....... 

The Index tracks monthly changes in the prices of a basket of commonly traded food commodities. Last month’s prices were 33.6 per cent higher overall, than March last year.

Driven by soaring wheat and coarse grain prices – largely as a result of the war in Ukraine – the FAO Cereal Price Index was 17.1 per cent higher in March than it was just a month earlier.

(Rev 6:6) 

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/04/1115852

I think those living in the city will be more affected by hungar than those in the countryside.my place is an agrarian settlement, we don't lack food that much here.during the raining season there's a lot of farming taking place so we get alot of food reserved for the harmattan period.
I sympathize though with the city dwellers.

Historically, those living in agrarian settings have been more affected by what the earth can produce, rain, draught, failed harvests, etc. Those living in cities are more affected by the cost of food. Both die.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

13 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Historically, those living in agrarian settings have been more affected by what the earth can produce, rain, draught, failed harvests, etc. Those living in cities are more affected by the cost of food. Both die.

That's true,its just that we can't know the history of everywhere,I'm sure you agree.

I am yet to see the extremes of climatic conditions in my locality.things such as earthquakes,tornados, draught, failed harvest etc are only seen in the news,we are yet to experience them.

The only serious challenge to farming is the herdsmen who practice open grazing causing herders-farmers clash sometimes but a lot has been done to settle this misunderstanding as both aspects of agriculture is highly valued.