JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Food shortages are everywhere

Unfortunately, we have always had hunger in the world. However, events over the past couple of years have resulted in food shortages with the pandemic affecting supply lines in our Western lands. 

And weather disasters have also brought disruption to supply chains, often in unprecedented ways, like 1 in 1,000 year floods hitting the East coast of Australia right now. Small towns along the coast and inland simply have no food as whole warehouses and supermarkets and farmland is flooded. Bridges and other road and rail infrastructure have been washed out. It will take months to reestablish, and the reality is that airdrops of food and clean water will have to continue for a while.

And here in the West, the rail and road infrastructure that was washed out in the floods a few months ago have meant that not only covid has affected our supply chains.  Though the road and rail are back running, our supermarkets are still empty because it takes time for the backlog to be filled. We are running out  of literally every item, and you go shopping with the aim of buying whatever they have available.  And we know it’s only going to get worse as we know 🙁

I live in one of the towns in eastern Australia and this morning the levy gave way to the high tide and many living near the Clarence river have been evacuated. But we are not as bad as a little further north where the flooding is much worse.  The supermarkets there are flooded and closed and the one on higher ground is empty of supplies. Our Cong have raided our pantrys to make up a food donation,  but most of the bros can't even get to the house where the collection is being taken as they are cut off too. Hopefully the relief trailer will get through in a day or two. They will need a lot more relief too from others. 

Nothing bad can last forever!

Ruth, please take care and thank you for updating us on the situation up there.  We are all praying for all our brothers and sisters affected, and especially as this is going to affect you all for a long time.

Even up over the border in Queensland, where they are in mopping-up mode, supermarket shelves are bare and will be for a long time as drivers can't drive the roads to the depot and supermarkets, as well as other issues impacting from the floods.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-03/supermarket-shortages-expected-to-ease-following-flooding/100866830

a meat shelf that's almost empty

a bread shelf in a grocery store is empty

Thank you for updating us Ruth.   Please keep us in the loop and let us know if there is anything we can help with.  Prayers for you and all the brothers and sisters in the flooded areas over there. ❤️

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

6 hours ago, Ludwika said:

I happened to be at our local supermarket earlier this week and I couldn't help but notice all the pet food shelves were virtually empty. I'm so pleased I'm not having to desperately please my fussy cat anymore!!! RIP 😂

I couldn't get my dog's food for a couple of weeks after I ran out.  I had to return 3 lots of food to City Farmers on their palatibility option because madam wouldn't eat it! 🙄  Fortunately, I happened to go in to Woolies at the right time after they got some of her food in.  2 days later, popped in for something else and it was all gone again.  I have made a big order online for my cats but as they have a partly raw diet, I use human chicken which seems to be in good supply and the raw powder that is added to the meat to make it a proper balanced diet, is made right here in Perth, so at this point, the darling little fussy purrs and furs are okay. 

I have bought a bag of a complete freeze dried meal for them to go in my go bag. It makes 14 meals from a 210gm bag by just adding water.  Easier that taking multiple tins or sachets of cat food.

Now I just have to update my go-bag food, because I don't want to have to eat theirs. 😂

On 3/3/2022 at 1:04 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Ruth, please take care and thank you for updating us on the situation up there.  We are all praying for all our brothers and sisters affected, and especially as this is going to affect you all for a long time.

Even up over the border in Queensland, where they are in mopping-up mode, supermarket shelves are bare and will be for a long time as drivers can't drive the roads to the depot and supermarkets, as well as other issues impacting from the floods.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-03/supermarket-shortages-expected-to-ease-following-flooding/100866830

a meat shelf that's almost empty

a bread shelf in a grocery store is empty

This reminds of 2020 pandemic shopping. 🙁

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Ukraine war 'catastrophic for global food'

The boss of one of the world's biggest fertiliser companies has said the war in Ukraine will deliver a shock to the global supply and cost of food.

Yara International, which operates in more than 60 countries, buys considerable amounts of essential raw materials from Russia.

Russia and Ukraine are some of the biggest producers in agriculture and food globally.

Russia also produces enormous amounts of nutrients, like potash and phosphate - key ingredients in fertilisers, which enable plants and crops to grow.

Half the world's population gets food as a result of fertilisers... and if that's removed from the field for some crops, [the yield] will drop by 50%," Mr Holsether said.

"For me, it's not whether we are moving into a global food crisis - it's how large the crisis will be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60623941

There is also talk of a global recession. 

Rev 6:6

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Susan Cook said:

Where?

The Bible 

(Revelation 6:6)I heard what sounded like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures say: “A quart of wheat for a de·narʹi·us and three quarts of barley for a de·narʹi·us; and do not harm the olive oil and the wine.”
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=nwtsty&srctype=wol&bible=66006006&srcid=share

*** w95 8/1 p. 4 Better Times Ahead ***

Next the apostle John says: “And I heard a voice . . . say: ‘A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius.’” In John’s day, a quart of wheat was the daily ration for a soldier, and a denarius was the money paid for a day’s work. Thus, the translation by Richard Weymouth renders the verse: “A whole day’s wage for a loaf of bread, a whole day’s wage for three barley cakes.”—Revelation 6:6.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1995561&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=8

21 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

The Bible 

(Revelation 6:6)I heard what sounded like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures say: “A quart of wheat for a de·narʹi·us and three quarts of barley for a de·narʹi·us; and do not harm the olive oil and the wine.”
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=nwtsty&srctype=wol&bible=66006006&srcid=share

*** w95 8/1 p. 4 Better Times Ahead ***

Next the apostle John says: “And I heard a voice . . . say: ‘A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius.’” In John’s day, a quart of wheat was the daily ration for a soldier, and a denarius was the money paid for a day’s work. Thus, the translation by Richard Weymouth renders the verse: “A whole day’s wage for a loaf of bread, a whole day’s wage for three barley cakes.”—Revelation 6:6.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1995561&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=8

At that price it Better be tasty 😋 

BREAKING: Biden says 'food shortages are gonna be real'

"With regard to food shortages. Yes, we did talk about food shortages. And, and it's gonna be real," Biden said.

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-biden-says-food-shortages-are-gonna-be-real?utm_campaign=64483

Yup.... all part of the plan.

Get ready. 

I got a text from a sister this evening. She asked me if I like Oatmeal and Green Beans.  I said yes, I do, why?  Then she told me about the wheat shortage and 100 percent of it comes from two nations, Russia and Ukraine.  Prices will go out of mind.  Famine, in a grander scale then ever before.   Oh my, it sends goose bumps up my arms, knowing how close we are in the stream of time and of the end of this rotten system. 

Australia has wheat too. Plenty. Though of course there will be food shortages because wheat worldwide will be scarce. 

The other factor is climate change disasters affecting agriculture. That’s the issue here in Australia. Bad fires followed by massive floods. Vegetables expected to increase by 75%!

So if it’s not war, it’s weather. 
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100926660

Even with "plenty" of a food staple, if there is no transport it does not get to those who need it - transportation issues are growing due to the pandemic, protests and fuel costs.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

That was the issue with us in Perth and the flooding in Central Australia in January which meant our only rail and road links to the East were destroyed.  We still have empty shelves from it as it will take time for distribution to catch up, even though now the road and rail are fixed.

And then there's Covid......still.......

10 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

she told me about the wheat shortage and 100 percent of it comes from two nations, Russia and Ukraine.

This is not an entirely true statement!   🤔

https://www.statista.com/topics/6034/wheat-in-the-us/

Wheat is one of the oldest types of cereal grass in the world and is produced in almost every single American state. The many varieties of this cereal grain are used to make numerous types of food, such as bread, pasta, cake, and flour. The United States produced almost 45 million metric tons of wheat during 2021/2022, putting the country in fifth place in terms of global wheat production for that period. Within the same period, the United States was also the fifth-largest principal exporter of wheat, flour and wheat products. Russia and the European Union were the largest exporters of wheat that year.

12 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

I got a text from a sister this evening. She asked me if I like Oatmeal and Green Beans.  I said yes, I do, why?  Then she told me about the wheat shortage and 100 percent of it comes from two nations, Russia and Ukraine.  Prices will go out of mind.  Famine, in a grander scale then ever before.   Oh my, it sends goose bumps up my arms, knowing how close we are in the stream of time and of the end of this rotten system. 

Yeah this is absolutely incorrect re: wheat production 

A Simple Google search would support a different set of facts.

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

That was the issue with us in Perth and the flooding in Central Australia in January which meant our only rail and road links to the East were destroyed.  We still have empty shelves from it as it will take time for distribution to catch up, even though now the road and rail are fixed.

And then there's Covid......still.......

I just saw a news report about Lismore… wow.. so sad

Yes, Lismore and the Northern Rivers NSW coast and Greater Brisbane were hit with devastating floods. Some of this is because humans have built in a flood-prone area, but predominantly it’s a climate change issue. The flooding extended in areas that hadn’t ever flooded before. Floods are getting worse and devastating hundreds of km of farmland. Farm animals have died, so stock is diminished, and where stock survived the fences are down. So farmers are reeling, having only just recovered from the previous floods.  This are is also a food producing area, so vegetables are expected to rise in price, and that’s already happening.

Not sure what you mean Vern. The Bible predicted food shortages in one place after another. I live in the West of Australia. We were affected from the flooding in Central Australia (desert, hardly ever rains) in January. These recent devastating floods in February happened on the East coast of Australia. To me, at least, food shortages and increased prices are going to hit us really bad. Not to mention the hike in petrol prices which increases transportation costs which increases the price of everything.

And, let’s not forget the covid has already caused massive distribution issues. Sick workers and close contacts meant food became scarce in supermarkets. We still have empty shelves (and my cats don’t like the cat food that’s available)!

Most of us live in lands where we will make do. I really feel for the friends who live in poor countries that already have a hard time with food. They need our prayers and our donations. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”