JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Roe v Wade Which made Abortion Legal in All States Overturned

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 677 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Here's what could happen if Roe v. Wade is overturned : NPR

A leaked draft of the US Supreme |Court's reveals that the court may likely be overturning Roe v Wade which legalized abortion which would allow States to have the option of banning or at least restricting abortion.  Which it seems a number of states would do.

Edited by Shawnster

This will be interesting to watch.

Of course, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm indifferent to what secular governments say or do regarding this issue. Nothing will be different for us next year than it has in the last 50 years.

Neutrality definitely has it's perks.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

30 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

Here's what could happen if Roe v. Wade is overturned : NPR

A leaked draft of the US Supreme |Court's reveals that the court may likely be overturning Roe v Wade which legalized abortion which would allow States to have the option of banning or at least restricting abortion.  Which it seems a number of states would do.

This will lead more iron mix with clay in Daniel 2nd chapter brings out. USA is pat of the feet of that image along with Great Britain.

This isn't the first-time overturning Roe v Wade has come up. In the long run, not much will change since any changes in the law will bring lawsuits that will stall the implementation of such changes.

Like Bob said, regardless of what they decide, it does not change our view and we will stay neutral in the matter when it comes to the politics of it.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The LIVING AS CHRISTIANS part: Are You Prepared to Face Civil Unrest? (May 23-29)

Will be so timely, when "the court is expected to issue its ruling in a pending Mississippi case — a direct challenge to nationwide abortion rights — in late June or early July" (Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna27026)

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

This isn't the first-time overturning Roe v Wade has come up. In the long run, not much will change since any changes in the law will bring lawsuits that will stall the implementation of such changes.

Like Bob said, regardless of what they decide, it does not change our view and we will stay neutral in the matter when it comes to the politics of it.

I don’t know that nothing will change or that it will take a long time. Not sure on the specifics but Texas has basically gotten away with banning abortion with the law they passed last year. It went into effect immediately. Any Dr could be sued. 
I saw a blip on PBS I think it was the LT Gov of Arkansas. She said they already have a trigger law in place. Once Roe is overturned that law to ban all abortions (except to save a mothers life) will go into effect. 

This is big for worldly people and protests will happen. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

18 hours ago, BLEmom said:

I don’t know that nothing will change or that it will take a long time. Not sure on the specifics but Texas has basically gotten away with banning abortion with the law they passed last year. It went into effect immediately. Any Dr could be sued. 
I saw a blip on PBS I think it was the LT Gov of Arkansas. She said they already have a trigger law in place. Once Roe is overturned that law to ban all abortions (except to save a mothers life) will go into effect. 

Now many from Texas go to Oklahoma to get their abortion.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:32 PM, BLEmom said:

I was just chatting with a friend about this the other night. 

This is so big that the potential for wild protests would have been there anyway, but people are already riled up anyway due to their "rights" being violated by mask mandates. Recent events have demonstrated what people can get away with during protests/riots. It's like a powder keg over here.

Protests or not, the end result will be more people hating religion. 

I'm curious about something though. Have they been working on this for a while now? With all that's going on at the moment, it seems like a strange time to add on an additional issue. 

6 hours ago, Saffron said:

I was just chatting with a friend about this the other night. 

This is so big that the potential for wild protests would have been there anyway, but people are already riled up anyway due to their "rights" being violated by mask mandates. Recent events have demonstrated what people can get away with during protests/riots. It's like a powder keg over here.

Protests or not, the end result will be more people hating religion. 

I'm curious about something though. Have they been working on this for a while now? With all that's going on at the moment, it seems like a strange time to add on an additional issue. 

According to the news I’ve heard, the republicans have been slowly working on this for decades.   Since Roe started. That is also part of why they pushed so hard to put right leaning judges on the Supreme Court. Justice is political of course and not true justice. They are now worrying if this gets overturned, other rights like same sex marriage, lgbtq stuff will also get overturned.  Basically anything the religious of America get upset about could become fair game. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

6 hours ago, zoebarry said:

The Pro Abortion activists are planning to attack Catholic Churches this weekend!

I hope this is the beginning of good things to come! Lol

This an issue for babylon the great and poltitians. We know where we stand on the sanctity of life why bother discussing it here?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

11 hours ago, Old said:

This an issue for babylon the great and poltitians. We know where we stand on the sanctity of life why bother discussing it here?

I am referring to the fact that the churches are going to be attacked. This could be an indication of further attacks in the future against Babylon The Great.

This thread is not a discussion of the merits of Roe v Wade - it is to discuss the impact reversing that decision could make ...

Edited by Qapla

I’m guessing Zoebarry was mentioning it in the sense that the more conflict around religious themes there is, the closer it could seem to a worldwide attack on religion. 

The ideas behind religious worldly people and changing laws may play into why Babylon the great is destroyed. Noting it and what conflict is around the subject isn’t wrong. We discuss all sorts of worldly drama here. Political and religious. It’s a virtual “watching the world”. As long as we aren’t taking sides, we are remaining neutral. 

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

We discuss all sorts of worldly drama here. Political and religious. It’s a virtual “watching the world”. As long as we aren’t taking sides, we are remaining neutral. 

This is what I thought too. 

I appreciate knowing that there is potential for churches being attacked for a different reason. Where I live I'm surrounded by more churches than I can even count, some close to my house. It's a one lane in and out kind of town, so there could be safety issues under the right circumstances. 

I.m sorry... But i have no sympathy for those that do this.  I understand medical accidents... No one fault.  But abortion.... Just no...  Everyone knows how biology works... Prevent conception period....

I like the latest jw online abortion article... Simple scriptures. No confusion

...  No yelling at poeple... Just the facts.

Some attacks on chruches have started too. I watched some videos from the news and read some articles saying molotov cocktails were thrown into churches and destroying the building and people spray painting something along the lines of "if the abortion ban stays we stay angry...stay scared"

Quite fierce, which we know is a trait of people today

Sadly ironic this all happens on "mothers day" the worldly observed day

This system is such a disaster

8 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

58 percent of Americans want federal law making abortion legal: poll (msn.com)

Purely in terms of 'Polls', I think the Pew Research Center poll and supporting article provides some interesting background, including with regards to both people's political and religious outlook:

America’s Abortion Quandary

A majority of Americans say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, but many are open to restrictions; many opponents of legal abortion say it should be legal in some circumstances

The abortion debate in America is often framed as a legal binary, with “pro-life” people on one side, seeking to restrict abortion’s availability, and “pro-choice” people on the other, opposing government restrictions on abortion.
But as the country approaches what could be a watershed moment in the history of abortion laws and policies, relatively few Americans on either side of the debate take an absolutist view on the legality of abortion – either supporting or opposing it at all times, regardless of circumstances.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/05/06/americas-abortion-quandary/

8 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

When we were talking about Covid, I allude to a woman last week that America is not God’s country. I told her when Jesus comes, he will destroy all nations. When a nation as a whole want babies to be killed, then it a sick minded nation.