JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

BREAKING NEWS: 2023 conventions.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 393 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

33 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

Is there something terribly wrong with me, that everyone's glad to hear this except me? 😅

It is a year away, a lot can happen in a year.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Southern hemisphere (e.g. Brasil or Africa) usually have their RCs in December. But the videos used in the conventions (jwbcov) were used to be released on jw.org in September pre-covid-19.

The very first RCs used to be held in May. Which means for some people, there’re less than a year left for 2023 RC. Possibly, around that time is likely when the RC recording will be uploaded in stream.jw.org for elders and MS.

I truly hope the RC will be published on our website for all, rather than needing permission to access.

However, it will interesting to notice attendance if the program is easily online. We see how our Zoom meetings are going... :whistling:

Just now, Eejay said:

I find these comments puzzling??? Don't you want people to be saved??

That's not the point. Jehovah sets the schedule and we all hope it is soon.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

That's not the point. Jehovah sets the schedule and we all hope it is soon.

This is the point: "Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." 2Pet.3:9. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, Eejay said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay. I think you are wrong for saying that someone that hopes this is the last convention doesn't want people to be saved. However this topic isn't about my opinions so please stay on topic.

We have been supplied with the dates for a 2023 circuit assemblies where the one in November is to be on JW Stream, and the second one is yet to be advised on the location.

The venue where we have our CA is generally the same place we have our DC/RC at a major regional city. Our CA usually has about 500+ in attendance, where the DC/RC used to be about 3,000+. However, a lot of the motels in the township used to changed their prices of the accommodation at the time of checking in or quote prices higher than they normally do, and many brothers lodged a complaints with the DC/RC organising committee which a couple of years of copping this treatment decided they would move it elsewhere. When the venue operator and the council that owned the facility got wind of this, the mayor was not happy with the motels but didn't want to lose our patronage. So they ended up splitting the DC/RC into two where we have about 1,500+ attend, and the motels that extorted their prices were then not put on the accommodation list. We were charged the same price for the two weekends as we had formally been charged for the one weekend. The venue really couldn't cope with 3,000+ attendees, as their wasn't enough toilets facilities and other facilities, but with 1,500+ it was much better for all.

Also having the two weekends option, we had the option of splitting them up, as we found it easier ourselves as we generally drove the 2+ hours to the venue, and home again instead of paying for accommodation and arranging for someone to look after our animals. Otherwise, we used to attend another convention different location and dates to the one our congregation were assigned to. But the one we attended basically was the same distance (Sydney) which it was a better facility, we were not packed in as sardines, and the accommodation was better and cheaper than the regional city.

20 minutes ago, Eejay said:

When the end comes, everyone who has the right heart condition will be saved.  I just hope Jesus reads people's hearts soon.

On topic, conventions will always be planned.  A convention could be planned a month before it all kicks off.  That is not an indicator of how close we are.

I have a lot of questions and concerns but I trust the GB and I’m sure this is something they carefully considered for a long time. We’ll just have to wait and see what changes and arrangements are in place. Will masks be encouraged? Will smaller venues be chosen to encourage smaller crowds? Will there be some social distancing in place? If there are multiple smaller conventions taking place one weekend, there’s a possibility some can tie into others. Pre recorded talks can be presented. Lots of possibilities. I’m sure we’ll get more info soon. 

3 hours ago, MM9106 said:

I have a lot of questions and concerns but I trust the GB and I’m sure this is something they carefully considered for a long time

I like this thought very much ☺️

My personal dream is to watch the convention on my own (from our website or stream) and then attend a n person with my whole family. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

5 hours ago, Hope said:

However, it will interesting to notice attendance if the program is easily online. We see how our Zoom meetings are going... :whistling:

Very intriguing thought.  Conventions are carefully planned with attendance forecast.  We are always reminded to attend the convention we have been assigned if at all possible.  This is because attendance is anticipated and any shift in attendance could lead to complications (parking, bathroom lines, legal capacity limits).

How on earth can they forecast in-person attendance if there is a convenient and economical option?

9 hours ago, Jay D said:

We need to learn to live with covid, we don't live in the past with this pandemic, so it's only right and proper for the Governing Body to approve in-person conventions as soon as possible. 

This is the sentiment I took from Joel Dellinger's comment in his talk "Showing Love and Respect".   "During the pandemic, all of us have been under tremendous stress, and likely we didn't always treat others in our family as well as we would have liked.  Well, that's in the past. "

The expression 'During the pandemic'  has the connotation of past tense.   Not that the pandemic is fully over, but that we will not continue to be held hostage by it.  IMHO.

I'm really happy with the perspective to be together with the friends for 3 days at the assembly hall.

I miss this a lot.

I don't think this is relevant to the coming of the End. Anyway we have plans for many years ahead.

Jehovah willing, A-Day will happen before... Wait and see

6 hours ago, Eejay said:

I hope you're not comfortable with the things of this world. Someone who lives apart from this system and does not engage in its pleasures is certainly eager for the new world to arrive. And brothers, please do not stumble if the Great Tribulation starts and some of your family and friends have not made any decision. Jehovah is making time for this, do your best NOW to get these people to come to the organization.

8 hours ago, Doak said:

For someone who was as hopeful as I was for the end to come within the next year, we may have to wait a little longer. It was Jehovah who gave the direction to resume face-to-face conventions, so he will soon know that the time for the end has not yet come. Let's hope it's the last convention!

But it is much more than this. Think about it from a positive point of view; the door is not closed, not yet. It benefits both us when we can share the good news and it also gives others a chance to live.  In addition, we cannot deny that when we are present at the convention in person, highly likely, we face distractions much less than right now while attending from our homes and we are probably more motivated to listen carefully since we cannot rewind the program.

I don't think we should hope that last convention would come (well "last", obviously there will be post-GT conventions in the NW) Rather, we are excited when we get to enjoy conventions and each other's company again like before the pandemic.  Since we don't know when the end will come, it is useless to live waiting for it to come in year x etc. It might just discourage us. I advise you with love to give up the idea that this or that is the last year/convention/AM etc.

I often recall the article from the 2004 Watchtower, where a brother tells about his life in Jehovah's service, "Trusting in Jehovah’s Loving Care" p. 29

Father used to say that we should plan ahead as if Armageddon would not come in our lifetime but lead our life as if it would come tomorrow—precious advice that I have always tried to apply. Balancing patience and eager expectation is not always easy, especially since the ravages of old age now keep me confined at home. Yet, I have never doubted Jehovah’s promise to all his faithful servants: “Trust in Jehovah with all your heart . . . In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.”—Proverbs 3:5, 6.

And also from the Watchtower 1995 March 1 "Living Up to Our Dedication “Day After Day” pp. 14

Do you ever make that mistake? When you dedicated yourself to Jehovah, did you think Armageddon was just around the corner? Has Jehovah’s patience been longer than you expected? Remember, we did not dedicate ourselves to Jehovah just for a certain period of time or merely until Armageddon. Our dedication continues forever. So, then, “let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due season we shall reap if we do not tire out.”—Galatians 6:9.

I can't wait for next year's convention. Oh, it's going to be so great. And especially, when I remember that in 2020, when the pandemic started, there was supposed to be a convention in Helsinki in Finland where all brothers and sisters from around the country would participate. Hopefully we'll get another chance to do that at some point. 😉(and if The End (!) happens to come, what could be better!)

Edited by Jimi-L

No matter how the wind howls the mountain cannot bow to it. 

9 hours ago, Doak said:

For someone who was as hopeful as I was for the end to come within the next year, we may have to wait a little longer. It was Jehovah who gave the direction to resume face-to-face conventions, so he will soon know that the time for the end has not yet come. Let's hope it's the last convention!

This doesn't mean anything....as Jehovah's day is set

Bro Morris words: We will be ......  planning conventions, …there’s not going to be a pause when the end comes.  We need to keep going….keep carrying out Jehovah’s will.  And I’m pretty sure when the end comes no one is going to say, “Oh no…..we didn’t get to attend that convention.  I was so  looking forward to it.”

The world is in such a mess .......I still hope this autumn something will happen....hopefully....if not we will see.

I also think about the economic situation. Not many can affort the cost for travelling to the convention...staying in Hotels etc....

2 hours ago, Dages said:

I'm really happy with the perspective to be together with the friends for 3 days at the assembly hall.

And me.

The annual conventions are miraculous evidences of the operation of Jehovah's spirit in these "last days".

At each convention, the achievement of 10s of thousands of people of all races, men, women, and children gathering together, at their own expense for (currently) 3 days in peaceful, full-day assembly is wonderful in itself. The fact that they do this to be instructed in how to serve Jehovah acceptably, to give thanks and praise  to his holy name, and to personally demonstrate their love and all the other fruitages of God's spirit toward fellow worshippers, many of whom they may never have met before, just makes it a miracle.

Literally 1000s visibly and publicly demonstrate their appreciation for the ransom sacrifice of Christ by getting baptised on these occasions, many of these moved by an earlier convention experience. As we witness this, we can express our encouragement in a very tangible manner as we applaud their courageous action. The many thousands of voices raised in unison, singing heartfeltpraise to Jehovah is also a unique and moving experience.

Conventions are a demonstration of united defiance against "the ruler of this world" whose claim that humans will not willingly worship Jehovah is collectively trashed. They dynamically proclaim the reality of the rule of God's Messianic Kingdom in Christs hands. The fact that conventions go ahead internationally, attracting favourable attention despite temporary interferences, demonstrates the powerlessness of that same "ruler of the world" as effectively as any of the plagues on ancient Egypt.

And the power of these assemblies is not limited to those who are able to physically attend. The sharing of the events through various electronic media enables many more to get something of the atmosphere and content as Jehovah provides for those who simply cannot get there in person.

Yes. It is great to be a part of these wonderful occasions. ☺️

Edited by Eejay

10 hours ago, Doak said:

This planned Convention could be already in Paradise, who knows? :whistling:

Organization will be always planning Conventions, one day those plans will be interrupted by GT

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

23 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

Considering the eating together aspect of conventions, I should assume GT think by then the covid will have been completely finished....I guess?

Don't know specifics, but I what is written below is good reminder.

Events on the world scene clearly indicate that Bible prophecy is now being fulfilled and that the end of this wicked system of things is imminent. Therefore, we should not assume that much time is needed for the state of this world to develop to the point where “the ten horns” and “the wild beast” of Revelation 17:16 turn on Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. Let us bear in mind that God will “put it into their hearts” to make that move—and this could happen swiftly and at any time! (Rev. 17:17) W15 8/15

Covid or no Covid, will not stop Jehovah's day. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

8 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Don't know specifics, but I what is written below is good reminder.

Events on the world scene clearly indicate that Bible prophecy is now being fulfilled and that the end of this wicked system of things is imminent. Therefore, we should not assume that much time is needed for the state of this world to develop to the point where “the ten horns” and “the wild beast” of Revelation 17:16 turn on Babylon the Great, the world empire of false religion. Let us bear in mind that God will “put it into their hearts” to make that move—and this could happen swiftly and at any time! (Rev. 17:17) W15 8/15

Covid or no Covid, will not stop Jehovah's day. 

I'm expecting PS declaration next year....

“Above all, this war must end. We need to silence the guns and accelerate negotiations towards peace, now. For the people of Ukraine. For the people of the region. And for the people of the world,” he added.

World on brink of “perfect storm” of crises, warns un chief calling for immediate action to avert cascading impacts of war in Ukraine | UNCTAD

33 minutes ago, Hotteok said:

I should assume GT think by then the covid will have been completely finished

If you meant “GB,” which fits the context better in your sentence, it’s obvious the GB have absolutely no idea if COVID-19 will have been finished or not by 2023. They have resumed in-person meetings in-person public ministry even without COVID-19 subsiding. And that will be true for conventions, too.

The important part is we will hold in-person conventions in compliance with local government authorities’ guidelines, which differ from countries to countries.

BTW, eating in Kingdom Halls is already allowed in Republic of Korea, in compliance with Korean Government guidelines for religious facilities. (I said eating in Kingdom Halls were allowed, not assembly or convention halls, by the way.)

Seems things are getting back to basics/normal far as our brotherhood  and the way we do things….we have all become comfortable behind the screen… some of us may get dressed for meetings on zoom some of us may not… some of use have probably not had our camera on during zoom this entire time.  I really do think some  of us myself included have become to comfortable with the way things are going and now Jehovah is saying let’s shake it up and get back to regular scheduled programming.

I to am worried but I’m following Jehovah’s  chariot and his organization / direction because when it is all said and done that’s all we have .. I try not to have a complaining attitude… but I try to go with the flow..

and now with this arrangement there are several questions that come to mind .. some like will this be open to the public? ( I’m sure it will) What if the ones we invite have Covid? Will there be social distancing? With Inflation of gas prices and travel prices what if one can’t afford to travel the economy has changed drastically ? The sick and elderly if they can’t attend an in person convention ? 
The large crowd of people ? And still living during a pandemic ? and here where I live in Florida the cases are increasing so there are a lot of questions and concerns that we all have I’m sure. 

Touching things  behind others like bathroom stall doors and door knobs were germs 🦠 live ? Opening car doors for one’s to get out like the attendant does? I’m pretty sure we can think of a list of other questions so again there alot of questions… I’m sure mask 😷 will be encouraged . And I do agree that with the way things are going now it will definitely be more expensive in all things.

I to think the Great Tribulation will come sooner then a lot of us think..because world 🌍 conditions are only getting worse and they will continue to get worse..

Who knows  what other hardships we will  have to endure at that time…

But with eyes of faith we must keep moving forward !

Edited by Shannie