JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Religion in the news

1 minute ago, Mike047 said:

Yes, it's true, but a question remains: why not accept one's ignorance, why go to the point of disrespect that ridicules? Lack of humility is the beginning of many sins.

4 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

1 minute ago, Mike047 said:

Yes, it's true, but a question remains: why not accept one's ignorance, why go to the point of disrespect that ridicules? Lack of humility is the beginning of many sins.

4 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

6 minutes ago, LeolaRootStew said:

Satan's world mocking Satan's depiction of Jesus - I don't think Jesus gave this a second glance.

I thought that too. Saw a comment: "Jesus is God he would be very offended!" ... oh the irony! 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6p2p9dkdzxo

More than 4,000 churches have been closed down over the last month in Rwanda for failing to comply with health and safety regulations, including not being properly soundproofed.

It has affected mostly small Pentecostal churches and a few mosques - some of them operating out of caves or on the banks of rivers.

"This is not being done to prevent people from praying but to ensure the safety and tranquillity of worshipers," Minister of Local Government Jean Claude Musabyimana told state media.

Just saw a tv court show where a high schooler (Capt of a sports team) was suing another student on team for not inviting him to her B day party' Said she invited everyone else on team and now they were not obeying him on school team.  He lost the case. HOw insane is this world? Sorry and please move if this is in wrong place. ys

Edited by kejedo

I read an article, never to be seem again. (?) I did try to save it, at least the link. It spoke of a new group that has reared its godless head. And it’s large. It’s called. “Nones”. 
No religious afffiliation. At all. They have embrace this systems norms, and they think they are thriving. If i remember right, it ends up their god is themselves, and what is going on in this system. That is their religion. Pure out and out self-gratification. 
I have not read this thread with any regularity. If someone has already mentioned it, sorry for being redundant.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

1 hour ago, Miss Bea said:

I read an article, never to be seem again. (?) I did try to save it, at least the link. It spoke of a new group that has reared its godless head. And it’s large. It’s called. “Nones”. 
No religious afffiliation. At all. They have embrace this systems norms, and they think they are thriving. If i remember right, it ends up their god is themselves, and what is going on in this system. That is their religion. Pure out and out self-gratification. 
I have not read this thread with any regularity. If someone has already mentioned it, sorry for being redundant.

FWIW here is the extensive January 2024 Pew Research paper about the 'nones'....

Religious ‘Nones’ in America: Who They Are and What They Believe

A closer look at how atheists, agnostics and those who describe their religion as ‘nothing in particular’ see God, religion, morality, science and more

• Most “nones” believe in God or another higher power. But very few go to religious services regularly.
  • Most say religion does some harm, but many also think it does some good. They are not uniformly anti-religious.
  • Most “nones” reject the idea that science can explain everything. But they express more positive views of science than religiously affiliated Americans do.

Who are the ‘nones’? How are they defined? (Chapter 1)

Why are ‘nones’ nonreligious? (Chapter 2) 

Are ‘nones’ less involved in civic life than people who identify with a religion? (Chapter 3) 

Are all ‘nones’ nonbelievers? (Chapter 4) 

Are ‘nones’ spiritual instead of religious? (Chapter 5) 

Are ‘nones’ hostile toward religion? (Chapter 6) 

How do ‘nones’ view science? (Chapter 7) 

How do ‘nones’ think about morality? (Chapter 8 )

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2024/01/24/religious-nones-in-america-who-they-are-and-what-they-believe/

Edited by Parale

2 minutes ago, Parale said:

Religious ‘Nones’ in America: Who They Are and What They Believe

If they believe in heaven, would they be the Nones of the Above?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I think it's the distinction between (organised) religion compared to simply a believe in God, or another higher power, which apparently most of the 'nones' do believe in.

Remember in Rutherford's day the Witnesses proclaimed that "Religion Is a Snare and Racket."

If religion was a snare and racket... how would those Witnesses back then have answered the survey question: "What religion are you?"

The people who make up the 'nones' are a significant number of people these days, and apparently growing. In our commission to 'preach the good news' we really have a responsibility to gain at least a basic understanding of what the 'nones' are likely to believe so that we can endeavour to effectively preach to them in a way that is appealing to their specific existing beliefs and way of life as 'nones.' For example recently the Govering Body released video below which could be used with some that we meet:

Where Can You Find Answers to Life’s Big Questions?

Find satisfying answers to your questions about life, happiness, and the future.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/ebtv/answers-to-lifes-big-questions/

Edited by Parale

On 8/6/2024 at 1:54 AM, Tortuga said:

And if the did return to the Earth, would they then be call "Fallen" from above?

On 8/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, kejedo said:

Just saw a tv court show where a high schooler (Capt of a sports team) was suing another student on team for not inviting him to her B day party' Said she invited everyone else on team and now they were not obeying him on school team.  He lost the case. HOw insane is this world? Sorry and please move if this is in wrong place. ys

Getting ready for my decaf break and watching a court show,more similar to previous comment than directly to religion, but here a person is trying to sue for 10,000 the event planner for a baby shower, where the planner called out everyone by name that DID not bring a gift and threw them out of the venue. It was then publicized on social media.  I know this would never happen among our friends. The case was dismissed.  Crazy, huh? 

7 minutes ago, kejedo said:

Getting ready for my decaf break and watching a court show,more similar to previous comment than directly to religion, but here a person is trying to sue for 10,000 the event planner for a baby shower, where the planner called out everyone by name that DID not bring a gift and threw them out of the venue. It was then publicized on social media.  I know this would never happen among our friends. The case was dismissed.  Crazy, huh? 

Seinfeld Soup GIF

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 minutes ago, dljbsp said:

KYRGYZSTAN

That is sad news.  The news items on jw.org have quieted down about Kyrgyzstan since 2014 when they gained the right to be registered in the southern regions of that country after some difficult years, and despite the fact that JWs were recognized legally as a religion there in 1998.  There are over 5000 brothers and sisters in 86 congregations. . .more brothers and sisters to include in our prayers, for strength and wisdom to deal with extreme issues and for Jehovah's spirit to have a beneficial effect upon the officials in that country.

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2:

Big parishes and low priest numbers

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Could it be that Jehovah is waiting although, He already has a date in place to bring an end to this system,  He did it in the times of Jonah.  The Ninivites repented and turned around.

Jehovah does not change.  However, as we see things like this unfold, we can appreciate how close we must be. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewelinaochab/2024/08/22/the-emergency-that-is-violence-based-on-religion-or-belief/

On August 22, the U.N. marks the International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief, a day for states to step up their efforts to combat intolerance, discrimination and violence against persons based on religion or belief.

18 minutes ago, Percy said:

It is best not to mention it, as it could jeopardize the safety of our brothers there. Let them remain discreet.

Good point, yet our preaching work is banned  in Russia and every time when our brothers and sisters are sentenced to jail or house arrest they are posted at JW.org. 

Does this jeopardize the safety of them too.