JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting - June 2023

The Inside Story - Mark Noumair

TRANSCRIPT - Introduction and Conclusion

Spoiler

The Inside Story

Mark Noumair

Eighty years! Those reaching this milestone in life are described as having “special mightiness.” But does that apply just to people? The 153rd class marks the 80th anniversary of the Watchtower Bible School of Gilead. During that span, the school has survived a world war, country bans, legal threats, mob threats, and even a global pandemic. But we’ve done more than just survive. Welcome to this edition of The Inside Story.

At 2 Kings 13:18, 19, the prophet Elisha told King Jehoash to 'take the arrows and strike the ground.' This was to indicate his zeal and enthusiasm for Jehovah’s work. Sadly, the king’s zeal was lacking. How about those taking the lead in Jehovah’s organization today? Have they been striking the ground with hearts full of zeal and persistence? Yes, they have, and Gilead School gives irrefutable evidence of this.

As World War II raged, Jehovah’s spirit led our brothers to see the need for increased divine education before the end of this system. The organization’s president, Nathan Knorr, directed the start of Gilead School in South Lansing, New York. Starting in 1943, faithful men such as Albert Schroeder, Russell Kurzen, Maxwell Friend, Frederick Franz, and Eduardo Keller instructed the first classes of students eager to go where people needed to hear the good news. Since then, Gilead’s location has changed and instructors have changed, but one thing hasn’t changed: Gilead graduates have used their theocratic education to strengthen their brothers and sisters wherever they’ve been assigned.

As this world continues its downward spiral, Gilead continues to thrive and adapt as it meets the needs of Jehovah’s growing organization. And so with that, let’s welcome our students and learn how the Gilead legacy has impacted them.

INTERVIEWS

So, what do you think? Can a school have “special mightiness”? It can if Jehovah backs it. And that’s exactly what he has done for Gilead School. Repeatedly, it has been made clear that Jehovah is blessing the Governing Body’s efforts to promote and to support divine education throughout the earth.

Why all this education? In the words of Brother Knorr: “We want to move to higher levels of understanding so that we get deeper into the thoughts of Jehovah as he... expressed them in his Word.” [Proclaimers book page 102, paragraph 2] Therefore, nothing can stop divine education, and nothing will ever slow it down.

The world says 80 years is probably the time to slow down. But to Jehovah’s people, 80 is just getting started. Until the next time on The Inside Story.

The Inside Story - Mark Noumair with Kena and Chila Kunda from Zambia

TRANSCRIPT:

Spoiler

Kena and Chila Kunda

Mark: Please welcome our first guests, Brother and Sister Kunda from Zambia. We are so happy to have you with us on The Inside Story, Kena and Chila. How long have you been serving in Zambia? And tell us about your assignments at the branch office.

Kena: We have been serving at the branch for five years now, and we’re both assigned to the Local Design/Construction Department, LDC.

Mark: Beautiful, and here we see a picture of these smiling faces. There's you both, and who are the three others in the picture?

Chila: Those three are three field representatives, and this was during a Kingdom Hall build that we visited. We really enjoyed that assignment.

Mark: Well, obviously, you did. Look at those smiling faces. That’s building Kingdom Halls. Kena, you’re working with LDC. How many Kingdom halls are needed in Zambia?

Kena: So in the next five years, we need a thousand new Kingdom Halls.

Mark: A thousand Kingdom Halls. Now, that fast growth of Kingdom publishers, that’s something that is marvelous to see. In fact, what is the ratio there in Zambia?

Kena: Currently, there are a little over 190,000 publishers in Zambia, so that would make it approximately 1 Witness to 99 people.

Mark: One to 99 — that is just wonderful! So, what do you contribute to that?

Chila: I can think of two factors: First, anyone who visits Zambia remembers it for its warmhearted people. They are very humble and welcome good conversations about the Bible.

Mark: Excellent. Well, then, that is something that is very attractive — the truth is attractive to them — humble, warmhearted, in fact, many people mention that to me that have visited Zambia as well. So good. What else?

Chila: The second factor is that the government is favorable toward Jehovah’s Witnesses, allowing the preaching work to flourish.

Kena: That’s right. In fact, the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses has been highly regarded as a stabilizing influence on society, and this in turn moves many honesthearted ones to learn the truth.

Mark: That’s the training Jehovah gives his people, wouldn’t you say? The training, the divine education that God’s people have been given — now that translates into how they teach and how they interact with people. Wouldn’t you say that?

Kena: Absolutely! In fact, thanks to that divine education, Jehovah’s people apply that knowledge in their lives, others see it, and all praise and glory goes to Jehovah.

Mark: Beautiful! So warmhearted people, a stabilizing influence in the community, growth — Kingdom work and Kingdom growth is happening in Zambia.

Chila: There’s something else that’s dear to all our hearts that has had an impact on the Kingdom growth.

Mark: Well, what would that be, Chila?

Chila: It’s the Become Jehovah’s Friend series with Caleb and Sophia. These videos have taught valuable principles to young ones very effectively.

Mark: I like that — valuable principles to young ones. So as these young ones are learning these Bible principles - and that’s instilled in their little hearts and minds - when they grow up, what’s the result?

Kena: Yes, it’s just wonderful to see how the organization is using the Become Jehovah’s Friend series for the young ones, because it’s laying a foundation for them to become mature Christians when they grow up. So they have a pattern of making decisions that reflect Jehovah’s thinking. They grow up, become pioneers and elders in the congregation.

Mark: Excellent, and were you speaking about one in particular?

Chila: Yes, we have a good example of that with Jamin. He is one of many young ones in Zambia who enjoys using the Become Jehovah’s Friend series.

Mark: Yeah, and here we see a picture. Can you explain that picture?

Kena: So Jamin is closest to his dad on the left. Both his parents are regular pioneers, and they got his name from the video Warning Examples for Our Day.

Mark: There’s Jamin again.

Chila: Yeah, he’s about six years old now. And you can see he looks very ready for the ministry.

Mark: He does.

Chila: Yeah, he enjoys using the videos because he’s able to even recite them from the heart. And he goes as far as even imitating Sophia and taking some publications with him to school. And he does so good to the extent that even when he’s packing the publications, he has a friend in mind whom he wants to give it to.

Mark: But it’s that evangelizing spirit at a young age that’s taking root in Zambia because of the Become Jehovah’s Friend series — excellent. Missionary spirit, here we go — wonderful. But when you think about the legacy of Gilead School and the missionary spirit there in Zambia - this is the 80th anniversary of the school and also the impact in Zambia became very obvious early on. In fact, the first Gilead missionaries to arrive in Zambia was in 1948 with Brothers Harry Arnott and John Ferguson. We see their pictures here. They were in the eighth class of Gilead along with Stanley Jones and Harold King. In those early days, those early classes of Gilead, 11 percent were of the anointed, and that led to a stabilizing influence as well in the global field with Gilead graduates. In fact, we went to the Gilead archives, and we found some of Brother Ferguson’s handwritten letters. And there’s one, in that letter he mentions that in 1948 when he arrived, there were only 15,000 publishers in Zambia. Back then, the country was called Northern Rhodesia. But it was his prayer that The Watchtower would be translated into the local language of Cibemba, and he prayed for more missionaries to come. What a beautiful spirit! Was that prayer answered?

Kena: Jehovah certainly answered those prayers. Today, we have all the study publications translated not just into Cibemba but into 12 other local languages.

Mark: Beautiful. And now, to date, some 58 Gilead graduates have been assigned to Zambia. So more publications, more translation, more Gilead graduates sent in. What a legacy now that the Gilead School has had in Zambia!

Kena: I can say that those missionaries helped us in more ways than just the preaching work.

Mark: Well, why do you say that?

Kena: Around 1968, there was a ban on the work that resulted in the deportation of the initial group of missionaries, and this was followed by a wave of persecution and opposition. That made it a challenge to organize the work for the local brothers. In fact, at one point, it seemed like the work was stagnating. But in 1986, something exciting happened.

Mark: What happened?

Kena: Missionaries were allowed back into Zambia.

Mark: I remember that too. We were missionaries in East Africa, and the lifting of the ban in Zambia was big news. In fact, it excited us over in East Africa as well. We prayed for the brothers in Zambia, so we’re so happy that things were able to move forward. That showed that the work continued to pick up after that in 1986. What happened after '86?

Kena: In fact, there was a great increase in new publishers. And so the missionaries helped the new ones to progress to maturity, stabilizing them. In speaking to the local brothers that served during that time, they especially appreciated how the missionaries helped them organize the work from the branch office. And from there they helped the field thrive and experience incredible growth.

Mark: So you’re saying the local brothers and the missionaries worked together and that it would have brought positive results?

Kena: Absolutely!

Mark: Good. How did the local brothers respond when the missionaries came in to work with them?

Chila: I would say that was the best part. The local publishers came to love the missionaries. They were so kind and humble right from the start. It opened their eyes to the fact that we’re all one and the same. And to see the missionaries try and say a greeting in the local language, it was nice to see. But to see them progress from just a greeting then to holding a long conversation and even giving a public talk in my local language — that was heartwarming.

Mark: That must have been wonderful to hear and to see.

Chila: Yes. And the missionaries also didn’t rush their time with the local publishers, and this helped them to learn more about the culture. For example, accepting a meal invitation after an assembly.

Mark: Mm-hmm.

Chila: They would be tired, and they’d be hungry too. But this was not a quick meal at a restaurant. It meant going home and cooking...

Mark: ... getting the food prepared...

Chila: Yes.

Mark: ... getting the chicken ready...

Chila: Exactly. And then it meant you ate late, and they had to go home late. But the highlight of this was the encouragement that they gave us.

Mark: Beautiful.

Chila: They encouraged us to pursue spiritual goals. We could see the love that they had for us, but most importantly, we could feel it.

Mark: Excellent. Do you agree, Kena?

Kena: Yes, I do. I experienced that at a young age.

Mark: What happened?

Kena: At one time, my family had a missionary couple over for lunch, Brother and Sister Finch. [Edward and Linda Finch, 69th Gilead Class, 1980]. We had a good meal, a wonderful time. But what we remembered from that day was something totally different. A few days after they left, the Finches sent us a small thank you card. They expressed appreciation for the time and shared a Scriptural thought too. That they took the time to do this touched all of us deeply. In fact, my father used that card as an object lesson in teaching us children how to show gratitude when others do kind things for us.

Mark: Isn’t that wonderful? It’s these little acts of love, these little stitches of love, that make this close-knit bond of a loving brotherhood there in Zambia. Oh, there’s Brother and Sister Finch there with you.

Kena: Yes. You can see from the smile that they have become fully Zambian now. We are happy to serve with them at the branch and continue learning many valuable lessons from them.

Mark: Good, excellent. So, what if we show now the audience a short video clip of Zambia and what’s happening there and the work? Would you like to do that?

Chila: Yes.

Kena: Absolutely.

Mark: OK, let’s watch.

Located in southern Africa, Zambia is about a quarter of a million square miles (647,000 sq km) — a little larger than the state of Texas in the United States.

Zambia is home to beautiful forests, the mighty Zambezi River, magnificent waterfalls, and abundant wildlife.

Yes, and because of our mild climate, we enjoy a rich variety of foods.

But the real beauty of Zambia lies in its people. You can find Jehovah’s people almost everywhere you go.

And the ministry continues to be ripe for harvesting.

Edward Finch, Zambia Branch: If you called on a person in the morning and a Witness comes in the afternoon, in other countries they’ll let you know that that’s happened. But in Zambia, they’ll just listen a second time.

Linda Finch, Zambia Branch: When going from house to house, sometimes a person will invite you, not into their house, but to sit under the mango tree. They bring their tins, their buckets, or whatever, and you sit there, and then you can speak with them. And sometimes they even will collect their Bible from inside when they see you because they know you’re there to discuss the Bible. So they’re very lovable people.

Ian Jefferson, Zambia Branch: The simple, friendly approach that the brothers and sisters have to the ministry, their strong belief that everyone is a potential friend of Jehovah — that helps them to make spiritual progress with people. Can everyone in Zambia be a Jehovah’s Witness? Well, I think it’s a good goal to have.

Zealous proclaimers come in all shapes and sizes. Would you like to see Jamin in action? 'I want to be like Jamin when I grow up.'

'I know. Me too.' Jamin is one of many young ones in Zambia right now who are making Jehovah’s heart so happy.

So if you travel to Zambia, what will you find? You will see a great crowd of loyal and hardworking Kingdom proclaimers.

And while we are all different colors and ages and sizes, we are one big happy family thanks to our happy God, Jehovah.

Mark: Now, that was just a beautiful video clip. Thank you so much. But Kena, the brother and sister at the end with Brother and Sister Finch, they look like you.

Kena: That’s Mum and Dad, and that’s them meeting the Finches after almost 25 years.

Mark: What a beautiful reunion that must have been! And are they with us today?

Kena: Yes, in fact, they are somewhere in the audience.

Mark: Excellent. I bet they’re very proud of you both. Thank you so much. And thank you for sharing your comments with us with The Inside Story. Just watching this video helps us to see why the love and the joy of the Zambian people come through very, very loud and clear. So with that, we say thank you.

The Inside Story - Mark Noumair with Eric and Megan Lee from Micronesia

TRANSCRIPT:

Spoiler

Eric and Megan Lee

Mark: Next, please welcome Eric and Megan Lee from Micronesia. We are so happy to have you, Eric and Megan, on The Inside Story. So tell us, before coming to Gilead, you were serving in the Micronesia branch, and that is located on the beautiful island of Guam. So how long have you been serving there, and what’s your work like at Bethel?

Eric: Well, I’ve been serving there for the last ten years. The last eight of those years, Megan and I have been serving at the branch office together. And I currently work in the Service Department.

Mark: Good. And what about you, Megan? What’s your work assignment?

Megan: I work in the Translation Department, and we support the work of six remote translation offices throughout Micronesia.

Mark: Beautiful. I bet that’s a lot of work. Thank you for doing it. Now, on our screen, we have a very interesting picture. Eric, what is happening here? Tell us about it.

Eric: This is the two of us when we visited the island of Pohnpei. We were sent there to help teach a Bethel Service School. But this is when we first arrived on the island at the airport. We were greeted by the brothers and sisters, and they gave us what you see on the top of our heads.

Mark: What is that?

Eric: Locally, those are called mwarmwars. They’re handwoven by the brothers and sisters, and they’re often given to guests when they first arrive.

Mark: I mean, that’s a lot of work to make those, and it shows the hospitality and love. Very nice, thank you. So now, Megan, I understand you were born on Guam. So, what was it like growing up on the island of Guam? Tell us about it.

Megan: Well, it is a small island, so no matter where you are, the branch office is never far away. It was definitely a special privilege to be able to grow up so close to Bethel.

Mark: How far would the branch have been from where you were raised?

Megan: Maybe a little less than 15 minutes.

Mark: So was Bethel in your backyard?

Megan: It was very close.

Mark: Excellent. So how did that impact you?

Megan: It was very special to be so close to a center of spiritual activity where so many brothers and sisters are working hard full-time for Jehovah.

Mark: Mm-hmm.

Megan: Eventually, my sister started commuting to Bethel, and she invited me to join her, so we were able to do that together.

Mark: Excellent, so you commuted to Bethel with your sister. And who’s older, you or her?

Megan: She is.

Mark: She is. OK, very nice. But what a privilege to be together commuting there at the Bethel in Guam! Now, what about you, Eric? Tell us about yourself. What about your family?

Eric: Well, my mom was born on Guam. Her side of the family is from there, but she grew up in Washington State. That’s where she met my father. But something interesting happened to my mom before she was married.

Mark: What was that?

Eric: Well, after she graduated high school she took a trip to Guam, and she was impressed by the need that was there, so much so that she had this strong desire to go back to Guam someday in order to preach there.

Mark: We call that the missionary spirit. And she wanted to go back. So tell us what happened.

Eric: Well, my parents were married, and they served in Brooklyn Bethel. But in 1979, they attended Gilead School.

Mark: Oh, interesting.

Eric: They had graduated from the 67th class of Gilead, and then my mom’s dream came true.

Mark: They got their assignment?

Eric: Their assignment was Guam.

Mark: Oh, beautiful. Excellent.

Eric: And they absolutely loved that assignment. And then some years later, my siblings and I came along.

Mark: Mm-hmm. So then what happened?

Eric: Well, after some years, we moved back to Washington State. But even though we left Guam, something never changed for my parents.

Mark: What was that?

Eric: Their love for the people of Guam never changed.

Mark: So although they were geographically located outside of Guam in the United States, here in Washington, their heart was still in Guam. And did that influence you as a young man?

Eric: It sure did. They still had that missionary spirit, and they wanted to encourage us to reach out and do more. So one time, as an entire family, we visited Guam. During that trip, I fell in love with Guam.

Mark: You did?

Eric: I loved it so much that when I turned 19, I decided to move to Guam by myself. And then at a convenient time, the rest of my family ended up moving out to Guam as well. And in fact, both my parents are still serving there now.

Mark: Isn’t that wonderful? So your mother and father and their love for the people in Guam evidently influenced you, because you fell in love with the people in Guam too...

Eric: I sure did....

Mark: ...especially with someone very special.

Eric: [nods head]

Mark: Excellent. So, what do we see here, Eric?

Eric: This is a picture of my family just outside the Kingdom Hall that we attended when we were young. It’s my parents, my older sister, my two younger brothers, and that is me standing in the back.

Mark: And we have another picture too.

Eric: This is again, all of us, but when we’re a little more grown up. We were together on Guam at a convention.

Mark: And now your parents are still in Guam serving there. Now, what a good example they must have set, though, for you and the family and the siblings, and how encouraged they must have been that you too had that missionary spirit! Beautiful. Tell us how many publishers there are in Micronesia at this time.

Megan: Well, we have about 1,200 publishers. That’s throughout all the islands in Micronesia. And I know that number may not sound like much, but actually it is a really impressive number.

Mark: And what makes it impressive?

Megan: Well, I think it’s the fact that new ones face a definite challenge before they come in the truth. The communities in Micronesia are very small. They’re very close-knit, and people really depend on one another for everyday life. So when someone becomes a Witness, they can be viewed by their community as an outsider and they lose that connection to that support system that they’ve had for so long. So it’s a real test of faith for them to trust that Jehovah can and will take care of them.

Mark: Yeah, it must not be easy.

Eric: It sure isn’t easy for many of them. But despite those challenges, many honesthearted ones courageously take a stand to join Jehovah’s people.

Eric: And when they do that, they receive a wonderful blessing. They end up becoming like a family to one another. So when there is that time of need, they are right there to help them.

Eric: It’s something that’s very touching to see.

Mark: So the love of Micronesia is obvious and evident. And can you relate another example of the Christian love there in Micronesia?

Eric: One that very quickly comes to mind for both of us is the island of Kosrae.

Mark: Kosrae. Now, we don’t hear often about Kosrae. Can you tell us about it?

Megan: It’s a very small island that has just one congregation of about eight publishers, yet they’re so faithful and loyal to Jehovah.

Mark: Interesting. Eight publishers. But Jehovah is interested in this small group, just like in Noah’s day, they were just eight. Kosrae has about eight. So how is Jehovah’s interest shown in them?

Megan: Well, it’s very clear from the translation work that’s being done. Jehovah’s organization provides publications that are translated into their local language. It’s just so incredible to see. Because what other organization would do that besides Jehovah’s?

Megan: But it is proof that he’s reassuring them that he sees them and that he loves them.

Mark: Oh, they must be thrilled with that. Thank you for sharing that very important point. So, what do we have? We have a paradisaic assignment, but it does come with some challenges. As you say, the courage to stand up for one’s beliefs and the island just having a few publishers — these are challenges. Am I missing anything?

Eric: Well, something else that comes to mind is that some of these islands are so remote, and because of that, they don’t always have very good Internet.

And that means it can be a challenge to get the spiritual food to our brothers and sisters at times.

Mark: So how would they meet that challenge?

Eric: Well, a huge help has been the JW Box. We see a picture of it here. The JW Box is a small device. It can actually fit in your hand. And the JW Box can connect to the Internet and download almost anything that’s available on jw.org.

Mark: Isn’t that beautiful?

Eric: And then, once it downloads publications and videos, the brothers and sisters can connect their personal devices to the JW Box. Then they have access to all of this spiritual food without them ever needing to connect to the Internet themselves.

Mark: Now, that is a wonderful provision, and we thank “the faithful and discreet slave” for making sure the brothers in Kosrae are spiritually nourished. Beautiful. The Gilead legacy continues on there in Micronesia. It was started back there in 1954 when the first Gilead-trained missionaries came to Micronesia. And we see a picture of them. That is Sam Wiger and his wife, Virginia. And at that time, there were only about 12 publishers in Guam. But ‘never despise the day of small beginnings,’ because with their arrival, the Gilead legacy was set in motion. And now the Micronesia branch territory spreads over a large area with many islands.

Megan: Yes, and some of these islands you can’t reach by plane. You can only take a boat to get there. So the branch office has organized preaching campaigns where boats of Witnesses go to these different islands and preach there. And that’s actually what we see in this picture here.

Mark: So by boat, the brothers reach this island. And what are we seeing? Is this a congregation meeting?

Eric: After a few days of preaching on the island, this was their last day, and they invited all the interested ones to come together to this group meeting. And what they did was they had a group Bible study. But they focused on teaching these interested ones how to study the Bible Teach book on their own.

Mark: Good.

Eric: That way, when the brothers and sisters left, they could still feed themselves spiritually.

Mark: Oh, that is so encouraging. Thank you so much for sharing. So it’s a beautiful island, true. But it’s the precious people on the island that are really benefiting from Jehovah’s provisions. So, what should we do? Should we take a trip to the Micronesian islands and visit the brothers and see how they’re doing? Would you like to do that?

Megan: We’d love that.

Mark: Good. Then let’s pay attention to the video.

Located in the western Pacific Ocean, Micronesia is one of three major island regions, along with Polynesia and Melanesia.

The word Micronesia means “small islands” and includes some 2,000 scattered islands. Yet, the islands are so tiny that their combined landmass is only about 1,055 square miles, or 2,730 square kilometers, not much larger than that of Rhode Island, the smallest state in the United States.

The branch is located on the island of Guam but is referred to as the Micronesia branch.

Most people think of Paradise when they come to Micronesia, but it’s the spiritual paradise that is truly breathtaking.

That’s right. The brothers and sisters are hardworking and loyal for Jehovah’s name. For example, on the island of Kosrae, they may be a small group, but they are sending up a great shout of praise to Jehovah.

Mandy Konno, Special Pioneer: What I love about our assignment in Kosrae is that the people really have a love for the Bible.

Micah Konno, Special Pioneer: It’s very easy to have Bible studies or long conversations with people.

Mandy Konno: So it makes it very easy to talk to them about spiritual things. It makes the ministry very enjoyable.

In case you saw a family resemblance, that wasn’t just our sister in the truth. That was Megan’s real sister.

We’re so proud of them and all those exerting themselves vigorously to reach honesthearted people in remote areas.

And don’t forget time zones.

Oh, right.

Chad Barret, Circuit Work: The circuit we’re currently in is made up of four different time zones, eight different islands, and from east to west, it’s a distance of about 2,500 miles (4,000 km). And in our circuit, there are actually seven different languages.

Leah Barret, Circuit Work: It’s a lot of work. Each week we pack our bags and then move on to the next island. The friends are never alone, no matter how far out they might be or how few publishers might be there. We see generosity. We see contentment. We see zeal. Jehovah is taking care of them.

On these islands, the precious resources are definitely Jehovah’s people.

Absolutely! Micronesia may be remote, but once you’re here, you’re home.

Mark: Eric, that was beautiful. “Once you’re here, you’re home.” Thank you for making it your home too. And to meet your sister like that — I know you’re proud of her. You said you were. And we’re proud of her too and proud of you. And that circuit overseer couple — they’re doing a great work, aren’t they, there?

Eric: They sure are.

Mark: That self-sacrificing spirit — we could say that the Gilead, or the missionary, legacy continues there in Micronesia. Thank you so much. Well, it’s very clear that Jehovah is blessing the brothers in Micronesia — the work is thriving. And, Megan and Eric, it’s just a pleasure to have you with us not just in class but as part of The Inside Story. And we wish you the best in the days ahead.

Eric and Megan: Thank you.

Edited by Parale

1 hour ago, Parale said:

Am so overjoyed and excited to have watched this part, br Kena Kunda was once my overseer in KHC and seeing br Ian Jefferson in the video who was my table head at Zambia branch has cemented my joy to continue striving in serving Jehovah whole souled 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰💃💃💃💃💃

What did everybody else thing about the interviews in this episode of The Inside Story?.....

Did you think the same as me?... I mean the interviews where nice and everything, but when interviewing invited guests, did Mark Nourmair kinda... talk a lot? 🤔

Excluding the introduction, conclusion, and video inserts, if my maths and all is right, it shows that....

June 2023 Inside Story interviews with Mark Nourmair

Host = 1,731 words = 46%

Guests = 2036-words = 54%

June 2022 Inside Story interviews with James Cauthon

Host = 668-words = 18.4%
Guests = 2,961-words = 81.6%

Maybe it was because they where trying to 'big-up' the 80th Year of Gilead which changed the feel a bit 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Christa19 said:

how do you do the transcripts? this is really amazing, as it's really hard for me to take quick notes in italian language so this is really amazing, can have more study notes :) thank you!

Generally, for the JW.org website, by using the provided subtitles - in which ever language you want, providing subtitles are available in that language :)

https://jwtalk.net/topic/49388-how-to-create-easy-reading-files-for-video-subtitles/#comment-827485

13 minutes ago, Parale said:

What did everybody else thing about the interviews in this episode of The Inside Story?.....

Did you think the same as me?... I mean the interviews where nice and everything, but when interviewing invited guests, did Mark Nourmair kinda... talk a lot? 🤔

Excluding the introduction, conclusion, and video inserts, if my maths and all is right, it shows that....

June 2023 Inside Story interviews with Mark Nourmair

Host = 1,731 words = 46%

Guests = 2036-words = 54%

June 2022 Inside Story interviews with James Cauthon

Host = 668-words = 18.4%
Guests = 2,961-words = 81.6%

Maybe it was because they where trying to 'big-up' the 80th Year of Gilead which changed the feel a bit 🤷‍♂️

I thought the same thing! 

he finished the interviewees sentences a few times and seemed to want to keep going on and on 😅

“Imitate the Great Teacher” - M Stephen Lett

TRANSCRIPT:

Spoiler

“Imitate the Great Teacher.”

M Stephen Lett

During his earthly ministry, Jesus expelled demons. He healed the sick. He fed multitudes. He even raised the dead. But was he known as the Great Demon-Expeller, the Great Healer, the Great Feeder-of-Multitudes, or the Great Resurrector? No. But he was known as the Great Teacher. Why? Because he primarily focused his efforts on the preaching and teaching work. But now, why did he do this?

Well, he knew physical miracles would only bring temporary benefits. He knew ones freed from the demons, ones that were healed, fed, and even resurrected would eventually grow old and die.

So how could he help people permanently? Well, he knew he could only do it by teaching them the life-saving knowledge about his Father, Jehovah. He well knew the truthfulness of what he stated as recorded at John 17:3: ‘This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one He sent, Jesus Christ.’

So even though he did many amazing things, he focused primarily on the preaching and teaching work, becoming the greatest Teacher ever to walk this earth. In fact, when officers were sent to arrest him, do you remember what happened? They came back empty-handed. Why?

Well, they said: “Never has any man spoken like this.” They were so awestruck by his teaching, they couldn’t even bring themselves to arrest him. Large crowds would stick with him for days, even without eating in order to listen to his teaching.

In contrast to the quality of Jesus’ teaching, Acts chapter 20 tells us about the apostle Paul giving a long, long talk. And during that talk, you’ll remember that the young man Eutychus sank into a deep, deep sleep and even fell out of the third-story window of a building. Now, of course, Paul resurrected him, but probably he felt responsible for putting him to sleep like that. But, no offense to Paul, I’m sure he was doing the best he could. But, obviously, his teaching was not on a par with that of the Great Teacher.

And that makes me think of what a brother said to me in a teasing way. He said: “Brother Lett, I always look forward to your talks. I know I’m going to wake up totally refreshed.” Well, it’s really true that none of us, like Paul, can begin to match the quality of teaching of the Great Teacher. But what are we told at 1 Peter 2:21? We are told “to follow his steps closely.” We can’t do it perfectly, but we’re told to do it as closely as we can.

So that means all of us. But especially as we’re talking to you, dear Gilead students, soon-to-be-graduates, you must make the preaching and teaching work a priority. And we must do our best and you must do your best to improve in your teaching. And how can you do that? By imitating the Great Teacher.

During this talk - even though much of what we will talk about will concern the public ministry - what we’re going to discuss - much of it - would be applicable to teaching on a personal level and in the congregation. So especially you brothers - but all of us - want to imitate Jesus’ teaching methods as we shepherd Jehovah’s sheep on a personal level and as we do so on a congregational level from the platform.

Now, here’s a question: How did Jesus become the Great Teacher? Well, the Bible tells us that for aeons and aeons of time, as “a master worker” beside Jehovah, he carefully observed and he imitated his Father. And he thereby acquired amazing teaching skills. He learned from the greatest Teacher. And no wonder he became the Great Teacher. He learned from his heavenly Father, and he appropriately gave credit where it belongs.

Go to John chapter 8, please, and notice how he gave the credit for his speaking and teaching where it belongs. John 8 and the B part of verse 28: “I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me, I speak these things.” Yes, he imitated his Father. Now we want to imitate him. But what specific teaching methods did he utilize and did he learn from the greatest Teacher? Well, let’s discuss four.

Now, one: He taught with enthusiasm and conviction.

Matthew 7:29: “For he was teaching them as a person having authority, and not as their scribes.” So doesn’t that indicate enthusiasm, conviction, and authority is what he taught? So if we’re not enthusiastic about what we teach in the ministry or from the platform, how could we expect our listeners to be enthusiastic about it? So never would we want to come across half-hearted in our teaching.

Just like enthusiastic teaching is contagious, half-hearted teaching is contagious too, isn’t it? You could perhaps liken it to yawning. One person yawns in a room, and pretty soon everybody is yawning. And that could be the way with half-hearted teaching.

But as a caution, we don’t want to be theatrical in our speaking. That means we wouldn’t want to use extreme gestures or dramatic expressions — overly theatrical or even theatrical. Why? Because now you end up drawing attention to yourself — don’t you? — rather than to what you’re teaching. And that’s emphasis in the wrong place, isn’t it?

But now let’s talk about a second method the Great Teacher utilized: He was a good listener.

Where did he learn this pattern of being a good listener? Well, open up to Isaiah chapter 50, please, and notice what is prophetically said about Jesus and where he learned to be a good listener. Notice in chapter 50 and right at the end of verse 4. Let’s begin there: “He" - Jehovah - "awakens my ear to listen like the taught ones. The Sovereign Lord Jehovah has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious. I did not turn in the opposite direction.”

So Jehovah opened his ear, trained him to be a good listener, and he responded well, did he not? And that’s why when he became a human, from childhood on, he continued his pattern of being a good listener, didn’t he? Do you recall the account in Luke chapter 2 when Joseph and Mary finally found Jesus after three days when he was only 12 years old? Where did they find him? It says that he was “sitting in the midst of the teachers” there in the temple and listening to them and then also asking them questions. Then when he began his career as a disciple-maker at age 30, it was second nature — wasn’t it? — to be a good listener.

Now, think of this: Even though he had more to say than any other human has ever had to say, he knew the value of pausing, drawing out his audience, and then really listening to them. And the same is true with us. You may think especially after Gilead School that you’ve got a lot to say. But if we’re going to imitate the Great Teacher, we have to use self-control. We have to pause and draw people out and then really listen to them. And when we serve as an assistant, which sometimes is half the time, we want to be active listeners.

What does that mean - to be an active listener? Well, maybe you would nod periodically in agreement. Or maybe you would add some little comment, such as, “Well, that’s very interesting.” You might even ask for clarification. People like to clarify what they’re saying. It shows you’re really interested in what’s happening. So whether we’re the one presenting or the one who is an assistant, we want to be an active listener.

There’s probably nothing more distracting than having your assistant playing with the dog or maybe looking down the street to see what’s happening down the street. Pretty soon, your householder is looking down the street to see what’s happening. Be an active listener.

Well, let’s get our third method the Great Teacher used: He used thought-provoking questions.

And methods two and three do go hand in hand — don’t they? — because if you ask good questions, you’re likely going to have more to listen to. But what if some of Jehovah’s people tend to shy away, perhaps, from using questions? What if they just like to present information and kind of control everything? Well, if you think about it, it’s probably easier just to present information even though it’s not nearly as effective.

When you ask questions and then you get a response from the householder, it’s kind of like bouncing a[n American] football. Now, when you bounce a basketball, it’s predictable — isn’t it? — but not a[n American] football. And it’s the same way with people. They come back with all kinds of responses, and you’ve got to be willing and able to adapt according to their responses. Some don’t like that uncertainty, so they would rather just present information. But as we said, that’s not going to be nearly as effective as those who have learned to imitate the Great Teacher and effectively teach with questions.

Now, you Gilead students have certainly seen the value of good questions during class. It made it so much more enjoyable — didn’t it? — and it enhanced your learning tremendously when your instructors used these good questions. Why is that more effective, to proficiently use questions? Well, for one thing, you involve your listener in the conversation. And what do you enjoy more? Being given a sermon or being involved in a conversation? The answer is obvious, isn’t it? So involve the listener. It’s more enjoyable. Another thing is that you gain valuable information about your listener, which you can use to really help that one.

Well, what are types of questions we can use? You can use “what do you think” questions. Jesus used them. As an example, Matthew 18:12: “What do you think? If a man has 100 sheep and one of them strays...” — we know the rest of the illustration. But he started out with: “What do you think?” And people generally like to give their opinion and, in a sense, there’s no wrong answer — is there? — because whatever they say, that’s what they think. That’s what you asked for, right? You asked, “What do you think?” And people like to give their opinion. It makes it enjoyable.

You can also use multiple-choice questions. That sometimes makes it easier for the householder to answer. Jesus gave an example in Matthew 17:25. He said Simon "from whom do the kings of the earth receive duties or head tax? From their sons or from the strangers?” Many of our tracts use multiple-choice questions — don’t they? — and we can effectively use those.

And if you think about it, the right question can often enable us to overcome potential conversation stoppers and keep the conversation going. For example, if a person says, “You people don’t believe in Jesus,” we might say: “Well, may I please ask, why do you say that? Did someone tell you that about us?” Harmless questions can keep that conversation going until you get valuable information that perhaps you can use to help the person. A person says, “I don’t believe in the Bible.” “May I please ask why you feel that way? May I ask how long you have felt that way?” Keep it going.

One brother said that during pioneer school he had those questions drilled into his head: “Why do you feel that way? How long have you felt that way?” A woman came to the door and said, “I can’t talk; I’m pregnant.” And he said, “Well, may I ask how long you’ve felt that way?” Don’t do that! Like we said before, you’ve got to be a good listener.

But then what about using thought-provoking questions when conducting a Bible study? As you well know, our new study book is loaded with thought-provoking questions — isn’t it? — and we certainly want to fully utilize them. But occasionally we may need to add auxiliary questions. But remember, most of what a good teacher says during a Bible study is in the form of questions. I know for myself, I’ve really tried hard to train myself when I’m about ready to make a statement, say something. ‘Wait a minute; let me change that. ‘Let me change it to a question, and let me draw out from the student what I was about to say.’ That’s going to be more effective, isn’t it? It’s normally much better than explaining a scripture to a student to have the student explain it to you.

And don’t be afraid of a little silence. If you ask a question and there is silence, some of us think that we have to quickly fill in the gap by saying something. But if they’re thinking, let them think. Of course, you have to know your student. If they have no clue what the answer is, then don’t let them just sit there and sizzle. Throw them a rope. Throw them an auxiliary question.

But now we’re going to go to our fourth method that the Great Teacher learned from the greatest Teacher: He effectively used illustrations.

And that was certainly a powerful teaching tool indeed. Matthew 13:34: “Without an illustration" - Jesus - "would not speak.” But here’s a question: Do you think that Jesus’ illustrations were the product of spur-of-the-moment thinking? Well, there’s no doubt about it that his perfect brain certainly helped to be able to come up with amazing illustrations. But nevertheless, the indication is that he cultivated the ability to effectively use illustrations.

If he saw a shepherd, for example, taking care of his sheep, he likely meditated, ‘Now, how can I use this situation to teach vital truths?’ He did the same when he saw, for example, a fisherman letting down his nets, a farmer sowing seed, or maybe builders constructing a tower. ‘How can I use this to make powerful illustrations that teach vital truths?’ Even with simple items like birds, lilies, a lamp on a lampstand, a wineskin, leaven, a mustard seed, salt, the young child he thought, ‘How can I use these simple items to teach vital truths?’ And it was amazing how he did that.

And the same is true with us. All around us, if we train ourselves to think that way, there are circumstances, there are situations, there are even items that we can use and make them into powerful illustrations. And we can powerfully elevate the quality of our teaching.

Now, here’s an example. Some time ago, a brother noticed a little baby with a pacifier. This pacifier had been dipped in sugar water and put in the baby’s mouth. And he was thinking: ‘You know, that’s a very good illustration of many, many in Christendom. They’re satisfied with what they have, even though they have no real spiritual nourishment. But we’re looking for those who are not satisfied, those who are conscious of their spiritual need.’ And he was able to use that in a talk.

What are cautions regarding the use of illustrations? Well, here are just a couple. An illustration should not be too long or complicated. If it is, simplify it or discard it. That’s what the School Guidebook tells us.

Here’s another caution: To be effective, the illustration must be familiar to and fit your audience. For example, what if you used the illustration that Satan’s system is like a male platypus? Now, in some parts of Australia, that might be a good illustration because they know a male platypus looks harmless, he looks innocent, but his hind legs are armed with ankle spurs connected to venom glands. So he looks harmless, but he could be very dangerous. But that only works if you’re dealing with people that are familiar with that particular animal.

But skilfully selected and used, illustrations are very effective. They stimulate thinking, they arrest and hold attention, they motivate the heart and conscience of our listener, and they serve as powerful memory aids. A good illustration is going to be remembered years later along with - and this is the important thing - a point that it was designed to highlight.

Well, there we have four teaching methods utilized by the Great Teacher that he learned from the greatest Teacher, as we said. And we want to do our best to copy, or imitate, his way of teaching. And I know you Gilead students have an enhanced desire to do that in the congregation and also in your territory that you’re going to be working in.

So let’s work hard to teach with enthusiasm and conviction, let’s be a good listener, let’s use thought-provoking questions, and let’s use effective illustrations. If you work hard, you dear students, almost graduates, to employ these same teaching techniques, then you’re going to be a lot more skilful in reaching the hearts of your listeners.

And there’s a lot at stake, isn’t it? I mean, if you think about it, the lives of our brothers and sisters are at stake. And with the “art of teaching” learned from the Great Teacher, we want to help as many of them as we can to make it into that new world. And then also the lives of honest hearted ones in our territory hang in the balance, don’t they? So we want to find them before it’s too late. And using the art of teaching learned from the Great Teacher, we want to motivate them to come into the safety of Jehovah’s organization.

And if you think about it, it’s good to remember that what we’re doing now in the way of learning to teach is really preparing us for the greatest teaching campaign ever in all human history — the teaching of billions who will be coming back in the resurrection. You could say our work now is like a warm-up, isn’t it? It’s a warm-up for that greatest teaching campaign that is just around the corner.

So please continue to observe carefully the teaching of the Great Teacher, and you learned a lot about that in school, no doubt about it. And may Jehovah continue to bless you most beloved Gilead students, almost graduates. May he bless you as you apply all the wonderful things you’ve learned during this school, and that includes learning to imitate the Great Teacher.

Letter to the Governing Body from the students of the 153rd Gilead Class

TRANSCRIPT:

Spoiler

As read by Brother Janne Kauppinen:

“To the Governing Body:

Dear brothers, at the end of five memorable months, we feel moved to echo the words of 1 John 4:16: ‘We have come to know and believe the love that God has for us.’

One way we experienced this love was by your fine example as well as that of your helpers. We did not expect and will never forget you sacrificing your precious time and energy to provide us lectures, interviews, and even tours. As a result, we learned first-hand from your love, humility, and burning zeal for Jehovah.

Our course of intensive Bible study has deepened our appreciation for the timely and up building spiritual food available to all of God’s people. We are also deeply grateful to you for providing us with selfless and skilful instructors. These ‘gifts in men’ imparted their souls to us each day and regularly made our hearts burn with appreciation.

Carefully considering the entire Bible chronologically has given us a deeper understanding of how Jehovah thinks. It has also increased our sensitivity to how he feels.

Our in-depth consideration of Jesus’ ministry made us eyewitnesses to God’s love being revealed through him.

We learned that the opposite of love is selfishness. We can only show genuine, unselfish concern for others with the help of holy spirit. Such selfless love empowers us “to bring out the best in ourselves and others. We experienced this in action through the warm hospitality and overwhelming kindness shown by the United States Bethel family, who ‘abound in love for one another’ and for all. This beautiful family has a permanent place in each of our hearts.

Thank you for the priceless gift of Gilead training. As we leave Patterson, we are resolved to live by the words of 1 John 4:11: ‘If this is how God loved us, then we are also under obligation to love one another.’

We are determined to never forget what we saw and heard. Gilead has changed our desire and ability to serve Jehovah and our brothers better each day, stabilizing Jehovah’s organization one precious sheep at a time.

We love you, dear brothers.

Your brothers and sisters,

153rd Gilead Class.”

Chairman's Concluding Address - Mark Sanderson

TRANSCRIPT:

Spoiler

Chairman's Concluding Address

Mark Sanderson

Well, at the outset of our program, we discussed the initial reluctance of Gideon and Moses and Jeremiah and Brother Booth to accept assignments. But in the final analysis, they all followed through and they did what Jehovah commissioned them to do. Well, we want to imitate them. We want to trust that if Jehovah is allowing us to serve, even if we might feel very, very inadequate, he sees something good in us. And he’ll make up for any lack that we feel. But here’s a caution: Never go to the other extreme. Never become overconfident and step beyond the authority that you may be given.

Now, in this regard, there’s an interesting account that I want to just very briefly share with you. It’s in 2 Kings chapter 14 — 2 Kings chapter 14. Now, as you’re turning there, in this account, we read about King Amaziah of Judah. Now, he had experienced a great victory over the Edomites, and now he wanted to go to war against Israel. But King Jehoash sent him a few words of advice. And I want you to just read these words, these few words, and especially draw attention to one sentence. So would you read it with me? At 2 Kings 14:10, he said: “True, you have struck down Edom, so your heart has become arrogant.” Now, here’s the point. Now, here’s the sentence I want you to draw attention to: “Enjoy your glory but stay in your own house.” Isn’t that a great line? I’m going to read it one more time. “Enjoy your glory, but stay in your own house. Why should you provoke disaster and fall, bringing Judah down with you?”

Well, what’s the point? You see, Jehoash said to Amaziah: ‘Enjoy the victory. Yeah, you won a victory. Enjoy it. Don’t get a big head. Don’t push it. Stay in your own house.’ Some Bible translations say “stay at home.” Well, as it turned out — Well, you know, you’re Gilead graduates; you know how it turned out. Amaziah did not listen to that advice. He went on to fight against Israel, and as a result, he suffered a humiliating defeat.

What’s the lesson? You have had a wonderful spiritual victory today. This is no doubt going to be one of the happiest days of your entire life — graduating from Gilead School. Well, it’s right that you should enjoy this day. You should find so much pleasure in it and feel satisfaction in what you’ve accomplished. But as you experience this joy and in the future as you experience the joy of taking on new assignments that will come to you, enjoy the moment. But stay in your place.

Never go beyond the limits of your responsibility or the authority that you’ve been given. No assignment ever gives us the license for us to think that we are somehow superior to our brothers or to act in that way. See, no doubt one of the qualities that Jehovah saw in all of you is your humility — your ability to consider others as superior to you and to treat them in that way. Keep that quality, and even strengthen it. You see, some who disregarded cautions like this and who succumbed to pride have, like Amaziah, eventually suffered a painful defeat.

So, yes, this has been an especially happy day, and you have many reasons to rejoice in it. But as you go and care for your respective assignments, remember to keep your place. And then you’ll have reason to rejoice, not just on this day, your graduation day, but every day as you carry out your ministry as the graduates of the 153rd class of Gilead.