JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hurricane Hilary hits southern California

Gov. Newsom declares state of emergency for southern California ahead of historic Hurricane Hilary (msn.com)

The storm, which may pour than a year’s worth of rain on parts of the Southwest, weakened from a Category 3 storm to a Category 2 storm on Saturday as it advanced toward California, according to the National Hurricane Center. The storm is still a major hurricane moving with maximum sustained winds of 110 miles per hour, the center said.

The threat has triggered California’s first ever tropical storm warning extending from the state’s southern border to just north of Los Angeles.

The Southwest is forecast to see heavy rainfall through early next week – with the most intense conditions on Sunday into Monday – as Hilary approaches.

Parts of Southern California and Nevada could see 3 to 6 inches of rain and as many as 10 inches in some places, the center said. Elsewhere, amounts of 1 to 3 inches are forecast.

:eek:

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• Tortuga changed the title to Hurricane Hilary hits southern California

Hurricanes do strange things.  When I lived in Georgia, a hurricane made landfall across the Florida panhandle.  They thought the rain would relieve some of the droughts that had been occurring over South Georgia.  The eye of the storm stalled over Albany, Georgia.  The Flint River peaked at 25 feet above flood stage.  I lived in North Georgia at the time.  It rained for about 6 weeks, 42 days, and 42 nights.  Of course, it wasn't constant rainfall like the flood, but it was plenty wet.

When I was in southeast North Carolina, there was a Category 5 hurricane coming across the Atlantic.   The trajectory would have taken the eye right over where I lived.  I made a trip back to Georgia before it hit.  When it made landfall it immediately dropped to a Category 2 and turned south.  Instead of going across Whiteville, it headed south toward Myrtle Beach.  I had done the prudent thing by leaving after I secured my property.  Truth is because of the turn and reduction to Category 2, I could have easily stayed on my property the whole time.  It wasn't as bad as expected in the area. The problem was all the roads back to my property were flooded and I was unable to return for a while.

Flood watches for Hilary rainfall. (NWS)

The storm is expected to move inland today and drench the area. 

6 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Do you feel any effects of this storm Richard? 

No, it is expected to miss my area.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Having lived in Florida for over 63 years, I am well aware of what hurricanes can do and how, even though they have learned much more about them, they can be totally unpredictable and change conditions in a matter of a couple hours. The winds are only part of the damage they cause. Storm surge is catastrophic, and the rainfall can have far reaching flooding impacts that continue to cause damage long after the winds have passed or died down.

I really feel for those in the path of Hilary - especially in a region that is not as experienced as we are when it comes to hurricanes.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Having lived in Florida for over 63 years, I am well aware of what hurricanes can do and how, even though they have learned much more about them, they can be totally unpredictable and change conditions in a matter of a couple hours. The winds are only part of the damage they cause. Storm surge is catastrophic, and the rainfall can have far reaching flooding impacts that continue to cause damage long after the winds have passed or died down.

I really feel for those in the path of Hilary - especially in a region that is not as experienced as we are when it comes to hurricanes.

I believe that most of the topography of Baja Mexico and SoCal has more hills and valleys than Florida. The potential for destructive flash flooding is greater. The developed areas aren't designed to deal with a heavy volume of rain. It could be bad...

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The potential for destructive flash flooding is greater

Yes, and the population in some of that area is much denser - causing the damage to impact more people even if a smaller area gets hit.

I hope the friends follow directions and heed precautions.

One of my brothers lives in the Baja area and I am getting updates from him. He said the rain isn't as bad as he was expecting.

26 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I believe that most of the topography of Baja Mexico and SoCal has more hills and valleys than Florida. The potential for destructive flash flooding is greater. The developed areas aren't designed to deal with a heavy volume of rain. It could be bad...

I just spoke with our friends who live just out of LA, Chino Hills.   They are ok.  They are in a Spanish speaking congregation and all meetings and FS are on Zoom atm.  They live in a higher suburb so not so affected as what I see happening on the TV.  

Please stay safe everyone affected.  

Edited by MullumMiss

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

One of my brothers lives in the Baja area and I am getting updates from him. He said the rain isn't as bad as he was expecting.

My brother told me that some in the congregation think a Go-Bag is just a backpack with water and a change of clothing. The brothers were helping them be better prepared.

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

My brother told me that some in the congregation think a Go-Bag is just a backpack with water and a change of clothing. The brothers were helping them be better prepared.

We have just had a Costco open near us and I joined and went in to check them out. I noted they sell the sealed bucket containing dehydrated meals for if I remember 10 days.  I assume thats for 1 person so thats 5 days for 2.  Anyways atm I’m updating our go bag and I’m going to buy that food.  I suppose Costco US have the same.  

I'm on a Zoom Session now that includes some who live in the impact area. They have not had to leave yet - we will see that happens in the next couple hours. One of them said there was also an earthquake in the area today.

Had to grin to myself when I read this news report...

"While the prevailing mood was relatively calm – quiet streets, no pedestrians and few cars on the road, in an unsettling echo of the 2020 pandemic shutdown – there were reports of flooded streets and some mudslides.

Then, just before 2.45pm local time, an earthquake shook the city for a few seconds.

On any other day, it might have been ignored. But on a day of extreme weather and already frayed nerves, it added a biblical dimension to an otherwise already tense situation."

12 hours ago, Qapla said:

I'm on a Zoom Session now that includes some who live in the impact area. They have not had to leave yet - we will see that happens in the next couple hours. One of them said there was also an earthquake in the area today.

Yes there was a 5.1 earthquake.  My daughter felt it and, she's in Palm Springs.  My husband talk to her through this ordeal and advised her what to do.  It was a long night for us.  We manage to maintain her calmness and directed her. 

She's not a witness but, grew up in it and prays to Jehovah.  She leads a very loose life but, she's still mine.  I did not sleep all night.  We haven't heard from her since 11pm. 

May Jehovah bring his Kingdom soon.

I have relatives in the truth in the desert area - Riverside and Hemit area(s)

and some of our Bethelites were visiting the area(s) as well, their convention 

was last week - they were able to attend Friday, Saturday but Sunday was canceled. 

https://www.newsweek.com/california-earthquake-video-streets-shaking-hurricane-tropical-storm-hilary-landfall-1821160

OJAI, Calif.

Asecurity camera in Ventura County, California, captured the moment a magnitude 5.1 shook the ground in the city of Ojai, northwest of Los Angeles, at the same time as tropical storm Hilary made landfall in the region.

The footage, shared on social media, shows the street visibly shaking, and a vehicle—a white pick-up—being violently moved from side to side.

The earthquake, according to the United States Geological Survey, struck 4.34 miles southeast of Ojai at about 2:40 p.m. local time. It was followed by a series of aftershocks that hit southern California on Sunday afternoon, including Los Angeles—more than 60 miles away from the epicenter.

30 minutes ago, Tia said:

OJAI, Calif.

Ojai use to be a nice little town, I don't know what its like now. Many years ago it was known for the woman that would take her pet elephant for a walk around town. 🤣