JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

56 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

I guess the question now is - How Long of a Beard  - short, medium, or xtra looooooong !  😂

2023-12-15_15h50_52.png

Not too long . You wouldn’t want to look like a girl. :lol1:

I took it as anything modest goes...

1 hour ago, coolbrz731 said:

Nope.  No soul patch

I may have to explore the soul Patch. :lol:

.close up hoff GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

I wonder if the GB heard about all the discussions we’ve had here on this forum? 

They are concerned about unity of course. So in deciding what to do, they review it no doubt and followed the scriptural direction rather than imperfect opinions. I’m very encouraged by the reasoning the GB is following.  Stick to God’s word. :coffee:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

3 hours ago, *Jack* said:

When I heard the update, I was listening anxiously hoping they would approve the wearing of beards but I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case they weren’t going to approve it. When they approved it I shouted out Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! :ecstatic: 

I’m not surprised they made this adjustment. I had been meaning on writing the branch and asking if it were reasonable to think that brothers would be able to wear beards in the near future because they are becoming more popular in business and politics. After a while I decided not to because I’m sure they get that question all the time and didn’t want to bother them. I used to look forward to wearing a beard in the new world. Now I can have my piece of paradise now 😆

(Here’s my comment from another thread)

IMG_2959.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sofia said:

J'ai été particulièrement ému par cette expression : 

“ (…) le Conseil d’administration s’efforce aujourd’hui de promouvoir l’unité. Nous ne voudrions jamais que la question de la barbe provoque la division entre nous. 

Nous devons tous nous rappeler que la partie terrestre de l’organisation de Jéhovah s’efforce toujours de refléter la partie céleste, c’est-à-dire de suivre son rythme, pour ainsi dire. Vous souvenez-vous de la vitesse du char dans la vision d'Ézéchiel ? Comme des « éclairs ». Quiconque cherche à devancer ce char, essayant d'imposer un changement prématurément, ou qui est à la traîne, hésitant à soutenir les changements venus de l'esclave fidèle, ne monte le rythme avec l'organisation de Jéhovah.”

My personal impression is that the GB wanted to cut off the Dragon's head, because it was looking for every means to divide us, even on a subject that had little meaning in the end. Calm should return and the beard will find its place but be careful not to give it more importance than it has, on one side or the other.

8 hours ago, Tsheppar said:

star trek deal with it GIF

TBH my respect for No. 1 went up a notch when they decided to have him sport a beard ... just sayin' 😉. That may be a reflection of ... what ... I don't know ... on my part, since it shouldn't be about looks in RL, but, well ... there it is, again, tbh.

Edited by just1-4all

spelling error
“He who knows patience knows peace.” — Chinese Proverb

1 minute ago, DancesWithWife said:

This would be an acceptable beard in Texas. This is known as a Texas Goatee! Everything is bigger in Texas as the saying goes!

zz-top-glastonbury zz.jpg

See, I would have a hard time with these big beards. I think because we’ve lived in a world where beards weren’t a thing for so long, anything big or dramatic just comes off as “overdone”. That is me. To me it’s like wearing a prom dress to the meeting. It’s odd and distracting.  

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

This is a wonderful thread about beards. It's nice to see the appreciation but also the humor that has been posted. Jehovah is the "Happy God" so he wants happy people. Thank you for all the wonderful posts and comments here!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

8 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

I am not serious, I don't this would be acceptable.

Gotcha. Well ya never know with Texas! 😜😂

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Just of note: law enforcement and the military have been strict about facial hair but now I'm noticing some local LEO's are sporting a close cropped trimmed beard. They look nice! As well as lawyers and such.

Then my thoughts wandered, meh like it usually does 😄, to how Jehovah created us. We have hair where polite society deems it inappropriate and are compelled to shave. Women in many countries don't shave arms or legs but are ridiculed and considered offensive to others in quite a few parts of the world. But Jehovah made us this way! Time to embrace it. 

So brothers, I hope you fully enjoy your new found way of self expression 🧡. Practice up because those men of old have the beard thing down pat!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

6 hours ago, jwhess said:

France maybe but the USA had published standards.  I had the "No Beards" from the SCE Branch instructor and just this fall we had an elder move into our cong with a medical condition and he had not shaved.  The CO came with instructions that he could remain an elder and do his cong parts while under medical supervision, but the beard would have to come off when he was done.  The brother was a little reluctant but conformed.  He has been clean shaven for a few months.

This really surprised me. I have always been under the impression it was up to each BOE in the US except for Assemblies. Huh. Especially given what was said in the 2016 Watchtower I'm even more confused. I had heard in the past someone tell me that the CO came through and made someone shave their beard, but I thought that was just hearsay, or the CO overreaching, or a very specific scenario with some behind the scenes details I was missing.

Well, whichever it was, I guess that's water under the bridge now :shrugs::)

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

2016 WT did not change this: “in some cultures, a neat beard may be acceptable… in other cultures and localities, beards are not considered acceptable for Christian ministers,”

since that wt never clarified which “cultures and localities” it was left to each congregation (perhaps with input from the CO? not sure) if this direction applied to “us” or only to “witnesses on the other continent(s)”

I was told it did not apply to our locality.  Honestly, I think the 2016 should never have been published with the wording that it did. It only caused confusion. 

Yeah, I'm pretty confused about the previous direction in the US. Apparently I knew less than I thought lol. But I'm happy with the clear as day clarification. I especially love that the specifically mentioned Circuit Overseers, Bethelites, Special Full Time Servants, etc. That removes any doubt. Two thumbs up.

18 minutes ago, 1MKnight said:

This really surprised me. I have always been under the impression it was up to each BOE in the US except for Assemblies. Huh. Especially given what was said in the 2016 Watchtower I'm even more confused. I had heard in the past someone tell me that the CO came through and made someone shave their beard, but I thought that was just hearsay, or the CO overreaching, or a very specific scenario with some behind the scenes details I was missing.

Well, whichever it was, I guess that's water under the bridge now :shrugs::)

Yeah, I'm pretty confused about the previous direction in the US. Apparently I knew less than I thought lol. But I'm happy with the clear as day clarification. I especially love that the specifically mentioned Circuit Overseers, Bethelites, Special Full Time Servants, etc. That removes any doubt. Two thumbs up.

Br. Michael, I sent you a PM.