JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

20 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

This has been a long time coming. Brothers have ALWAYS been allowed to grow a beard and still be on the school and still go in the ministry. But it continued to be a stupid social taboo among Jehovah's people, so it wasn't considered "exemplary". Therefore, no privileges of any kind, not even carrying a microphone. 

Years ago, the GB tried to soften this stance in a Watchtower article, saying "it's up to each BOE to decide on a local level". Well, given that the bulk of your elders are from the previous generation and they have to decide things uniformly, it's no surprise that didn't change anything.

This is exactly what we knew it would take. Although I thought they would start slipping in bearded brothers in magazines art and broadcast footage to prepare us first, instead of just coming right out with an announcement. But now that this is out, I think it's the best way to have done it. Brother Let handled the subject perfectly, and touched on all the bases.

That may have been the case in America, but not elsewhere. About 20 years ago I couldn’t shave for a little while. Could do everything at cong level, Instruction Talks and everything else, and even be an attendant at the CA, but couldn’t do a part on the platform at CA. Was informed by the CO when I went to rehearsals.

Brothers in Europe (have been to multiple meetings there) do their parts with beards, some of them looooong beards…

24 minutes ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Brothers have ALWAYS been allowed to grow a beard and still be on the school and still go in the ministry

not in my cong. I was told ~2018 that I could only go in the ministry; I had to shave if I was to be on stage just doing a Bible reading.  That was easy enough for me as I could leave my face alone 99% of the time and only do a close-shave when I had a talk. 

So happy with this "official" announcement.  We have a very good friend in the congregation with a beard.  He has had his beard for a long time.  Many many years ago he served as an elder.  He had a kind of mental breakdown a few years ago and could not do anything aside from attend all the meetings and be regular in the ministry.  The last couple of years he has been able to get back to all activities in the congregation.  The brothers use him for reading, taking the group etc etc.  The last CO visit I really thought he would be appointed an MS.  Now I am more than certain he will next visit.  Since it was brought up in that WT a few years ago regarding beards, I personally have not seen any issues with beards as long as they were in line with the Bible principles highlighted by Bro Lett.  So now that it is "official", I am happy.  My husband grows a beard on holidays and only for the fact that I do not like him with a beard (makes him look sleazy🤣) he shaves it off once we get back home.  

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

not in my cong. I was told ~2018 that I could only go in the ministry; I had to shave if I was to be on stage just doing a Bible reading.  That was easy enough for me as I could leave my face alone 99% of the time and only do a close-shave when I had a talk. 

some elders can indeed go overboard with certain rules, which is why these updates are a blessing

2 minutes ago, MullumMiss said:

He had a kind of mental breakdown a few years ago and could not do anything aside from attend all the meetings and be regular in the ministry. 

In my last hall there was a brother who started having deep depression and anxiety due to covid.  He grew a beard because he said he needed to hide his face due to the anxiety.  When we came back to hall he finally shaved.  

3 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

Now when we see a brother with a beard we won’t worry about him thinking he’s inactive 😆

This may make things more difficult for the attendants at the Assemblies and Conventions. It may be more difficult to recognize someone visiting for the first time..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 minutes ago, Jwanon said:

some elders can indeed go overboard with certain rules, 

I really don't like to hear anyone say things like that, it slowly undermines our trust and respect for the elder body. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I really don't like to hear anyone say things like that, it slowly undermines our trust and respect for the elder body. 

Indeed.  And even if they are "wrong", we must remember Jehovah put them there & allows it to happen.  Perhaps on purpose to help the congregation work on patience and love😉

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Someone in another thread used the term "outdated" in referring to our "no beards" policy just replaced.  It is an open-ended term.  What was no considered 'outdated' was current a few hours ago and beards were outdated.  So it is more of a change than a dating.

One of the last GB members to wear a beard was WE Van Amburgh.  He was the Society's Secretary-Treasurer for many years. He died in 1947.

Here is the picture of him.

VanAmburgh-1 1930.jpg

He was a handsome brother but he makes me want some fried chicken 😆

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Indeed.  And even if they are "wrong", we must remember Jehovah put them there & allows it to happen.  Perhaps on purpose to help the congregation work on patience and love😉

And obedience 🙂

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

When I heard the update, I was listening anxiously hoping they would approve the wearing of beards but I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case they weren’t going to approve it. When they approved it I shouted out Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! :ecstatic: 

I’m not surprised they made this adjustment. I had been meaning on writing the branch and asking if it were reasonable to think that brothers would be able to wear beards in the near future because they are becoming more popular in business and politics. After a while I decided not to because I’m sure they get that question all the time and didn’t want to bother them. I used to look forward to wearing a beard in the new world. Now I can have my piece of paradise now 😆

(Here’s my comment from another thread)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

22 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It might be like someone telling a small child that his parents go overboard in what they teach him..it would create doubts.

Edited by dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..