JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

1 minute ago, Dustparticle said:

Now we going have brothers walking around looking like Pastor Russell.

I thought you would be happy about that!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It's interesting that brother Lett chose to wore a colorful (purple?) dress shirt for this update. Looking back through the thumbnails of monthly programs and updates, white dress shirts have been the norm, with a sprinkling of light blue shirts. Perhaps this was purposeful?

Just stop it.Romans 12:2

Someone in another thread used the term "outdated" in referring to our "no beards" policy just replaced.  It is an open-ended term.  What was no considered 'outdated' was current a few hours ago and beards were outdated.  So it is more of a change than a dating.

One of the last GB members to wear a beard was WE Van Amburgh.  He was the Society's Secretary-Treasurer for many years. He died in 1947.

Here is the picture of him.

VanAmburgh-1 1930.jpg

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Definitely be a little hairier....:lol1:

Well it seems that this issue is no longer a hairy problem :lol1:

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

31 minutes ago, TJ said:

(Moving this comment to the Update thread).

I hope not. This is a different subject and it would be a shame for it to get lost in the Update thread.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Jwanon said:

I literally had no idea we had directions on the color of shirts or ties

It depends on the culture.  In one of my former congregations, I've had to go home and change my suit because it was too much for being on stage reading the watchtower.  When I told the elders in my current congregation about that, they wondered why I needed to do that.  They then wanted me to wear that suit on stage.😂

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I hope not. This is a different subject and it would be a shame for it to get lost in the Update thread.

My comment was not about beards per se, but rather just an observation on brother Lett's choice of dress shirt, a purple-ish color which diverges from the standard white (and sometimes light blue) that is typically seen in these programs. 

Short of brother Lett starting off the program with a beard, I was just speculating that perhaps the colorful shirt was selected to send a message that we should be more relaxed in our view of what constitutes 'appropriate' dress and grooming.

...or maybe that's just the shirt he happened to grab out of the closet in the dark. 

Just stop it.Romans 12:2

Just now, TJ said:

My comment was not about beards per se, but rather just an observation on brother Lett's choice of dress shirt, a purple-ish color which diverges from the standard white (and sometimes light blue) that is typically seen in these programs. 

Short of brother Lett starting off the program with a beard, I was just speculating that perhaps the colorful shirt was selected to send a message that we should be more relaxed in our view of what constitutes 'appropriate' dress and grooming.

...or maybe that's just the shirt he happened to grab out of the closet in the dark. 

Thanks. I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking to merge this topic with the other topics.

Please excuse me while I throw away all of my razors..🤣

18 minutes ago, Jwanon said:

I literally had no idea we had directions on the color of shirts or ties

I believe some congregations did ....

Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? - Watchtower 1 November 1989, page 30

The Bible requirement—God’s requirement—is that a Christian’s clothing must be neat and clean, well-arranged and not betraying a lack of “modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Timothy 2:9; 3:2) Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written” a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies. How careful we have to be in order not to impose our personal taste on others!

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1989809#h=19

• trottigy changed the title to 2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!