JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

33 minutes ago, Jwanon said:

some elders can indeed go overboard

(I should mention that a mustache was permissible)

They were only listening to the GB’s direction at the time, which was:

2002, benefit book: “In areas where mustaches are widely viewed as dignified, any who wear these should keep them neatly trimmed”

2016 WT did not change this: “in some cultures, a neat beard may be acceptable… in other cultures and localities, beards are not considered acceptable for Christian ministers,”

since that wt never clarified which “cultures and localities” it was left to each congregation (perhaps with input from the CO? not sure) if this direction applied to “us” or only to “witnesses on the other continent(s)”

I was told it did not apply to our locality.  Honestly, I think the 2016 should never have been published with the wording that it did. It only caused confusion. 

12 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

This may make things more difficult for the attendants at the Assemblies and Conventions. It may be more difficult to recognize someone visiting for the first time..

Last assembly there was guy dressed in a suit with a beard sitting in front of us.  We saw that he was sitting with a brother who had a talk.  So my wife started up a conversation with him thinking he was a study.  Turns out he was a brother.  I guess there will be more encounters like that in the future.

38 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

When I heard the update, I was listening anxiously hoping they would approve the wearing of beards but I didn’t want to get my hopes up in case they weren’t going to approve it. When they approved it I shouted out Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!! :ecstatic: 

I’m not surprised they made this adjustment. I had been meaning on writing the branch and asking if it were reasonable to think that brothers would be able to wear beards in the near future because they are becoming more popular in business and politics. After a while I decided not to because I’m sure they get that question all the time and didn’t want to bother them. I used to look forward to wearing a beard in the new world. Now I can have my piece of paradise now 😆

(Here’s my comment from another thread)

Next time, don’t doubt yourself. Brother’s from all over the world wrote in to their branches, who all wrote into WHQ. It was such a groundswell that it was addressed, not in a WT article, but in GB Update!

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that Gen Z have now started serving on Bodies around the world. They do tend to question alot…

7 minutes ago, Gimestr said:

Last assembly there was guy dressed in a suit with a beard sitting in front of us.  We saw that he was sitting with a brother who had a talk.  So my wife started up a conversation with him thinking he was a study.  Turns out he was a brother.  I guess there will be more encounters like that in the future.

Are you in America? In the Uk there’s already a lot of beards. But in some areas elders have them and in others it’s frowned upon, so it’s wonderful to have this clarification so we can be unified 

3 minutes ago, zauser said:

Next time, don’t doubt yourself. Brother’s from all over the world wrote in to their branches, who all wrote into WHQ. It was such a groundswell that it was addressed, not in a WT article, but in GB Update!

I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that Gen Z have now started serving on Bodies around the world. They do tend to question alot…

Unlike us GenX.  We just tend to go with the flow...  Whatever.... lol

2 hours ago, Adam! said:

Are we going to have JW Beard oil suppliers now? You know... those ones with Etsy accounts and such like ...

Hahaha I’m a DoTerra advocate. We already have beard oils! 😜

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

3 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

Now, about those brothers in warmer climates that don't wear ties, at least in field service, it can get pretty warm where I'm at. 😅

Knew an elder that would sweat a lot in the Texas heat. His tie would get so soaked with sweat it would dye his white dress shirt.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Araujo JW said:

I'll give you some options.

spacer.png

Imagine talking about the condition of the dead (no ghosts, so don't fear them) to a household and wearing beard number 15. He or she will completely understand. I mean, why fear ghosts when I have actual wolverine in my neighborhood. I have all the haunting I can ever have 😂

4 hours ago, Lee49 said:

This seems  to be the fashion trend around here, both young and old.Some like them, some don't.To each his own.

2023-12-15_09h53_46.png

Have a little mercy for those that may be wearing them. I know my husband has a terrible time finding shoes that don’t pain him. He has bunions and most shoes hurt him. There are a lot more foot and leg pain issues happening among the friends. 
Like was said years ago, young brothers may wear colorful socks that don’t appeal to you but there’s nothing wrong with them. 
So far this is the latest style my husband has been able to find that he can wear. 

IMG_2251.jpeg

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

16 minutes ago, Dages said:

Apostle Paul, so that was the thorn in your flesh ?

That would be good company to be in.

Edited by DancesWithWife

added word "be"

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

33 minutes ago, Kwabena said:

I'm trying to imagine Br. Noumair with a goatee and a handlebar mustache :lol1:

Murder On The Orient Express Train GIF by Reconnecting Roots

He would look fantastic!

Brother Lösch would, too - maybe more like a dashing villain with that gorgeous hair... but he'd look very cool, I think.

I think any bald brothers would be too happy for this announcement.  A nice beard will help that "empty" feeling 😉