JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

This is an excellent update and the direction given was perfectly balanced.

Brothers, did you notice that brother Lett has encouraged us to neither rush ahead of the celestial chariot, nor lag behind?

In other words, in connection with asking those who have strong feelings to adjust, he's asking we accept the direction immediately, but implement it gradually. Of course, we're not going to be able to control the valid excitement of many who are looking forward to this direction, in fact we should welcome it. Rather, what is the motive of us quickly accepting direction? Is it just because we disagreed in the past and now feel "I was right" and then move ahead quickly, feeling vindicated? Or will us brothers on an individual basis slowly implement it in our own personal life if we choose to grow a beard? On the other hand, direction now to elder bodies considering brothers as elders and Ministerial Servants will be non negotiable, beards and similar personal matters that do not conflict with bible principles do noy prevent appointments. Instead, elders must look at spiritual qualities and see how these qualities are affecting himself, his family and others. Nothing should go beyond the requirements that's written, even though there should be a measure of caution, if a brother manifests fine qualities in all aspects of his life AND is working in the congregation, showing by how he carries his assignments how much he values the organisation, then what should hold elders back from appointing him? No doubt the Governing Body will continue to counsel elders to continue avoid basing their decisions for appointments on personal issues or grievances.

lol! Finally the question of beards is answered! 😁 

Seriously though, we’re getting so many new thoughts/clarifications and direction (including field service reporting etc) coming in thick and fast lately, I’m glad brother Lett included in his comments that we must keep up with the Chariot….

Not running ahead, trying to implement changes before the time, or lagging behind, not agreeing with changes! 
Very balanced update….

20 hours ago, Krusso said:

The wave that is coming from the GB is to update what is outdated. Jehovah’s guidance is clear. There are a few other subjects out there also waiting for updates. 😊

Hmmm.  It will be interesting to eventually hear what they are.   The beard thing seemed like it was a bit overdue in coming, but that is my opinion.   I gave up on it and this caught me by surprise.    I had no clue the "day nor the hour" when beards would be allowed.

17 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

This has been a long time coming. Brothers have ALWAYS been allowed to grow a beard and still be on the school and still go in the ministry. But it continued to be a stupid social taboo among Jehovah's people, so it wasn't considered "exemplary". Therefore, no privileges of any kind, not even carrying a microphone. 

Years ago, the GB tried to soften this stance in a Watchtower article, saying "it's up to each BOE to decide on a local level". Well, given that the bulk of your elders are from the previous generation and they have to decide things uniformly, it's no surprise that didn't change anything.

This is exactly what we knew it would take. Although I thought they would start slipping in bearded brothers in magazines art and broadcast footage to prepare us first, instead of just coming right out with an announcement. But now that this is out, I think it's the best way to have done it. Brother Let handled the subject perfectly, and touched on all the bases.

Dear Bob, brother Lett explained that feeling like it was a long time coming and that it was a stupid social taboo is not how we should view this change or the wait we have had until now for it. 

Rather it is a well done to all those who have patiently waited for this change and for all those who were loyal and spoke of one mind and didn't verbalise their own view on this matter during that time. 🤗

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Really, I can see more clearly how faithful and discreet the slave is.

Imagine the amount of complexity that is involved in making a decision that has an effect on brothers around the world, without going against biblical principles. It would not be possible without Jehovah’s spirit.

It took time and many prayers to arrive at this guidance. Definitely at the right time.

12 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The next scriptural application coming will be that men will revert to waring robes or dresses. 5000 years of scriptural history.  God himself produced the first model.  Even Jesus wore a dress.

Be careful what you wish for....❤️

We are going back to first century era, prepare for doing resurrection and healing the blind :D 

Just now, Dages said:

We are going back to first century era, prepare for doing resurrection and healing the blind :D 

Speaking of the first century, I hadn’t thought about the fact that unshaven and shaven were combined cultures back then. Loved that point!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

22 hours ago, Jwanon said:

That one instagram account obsessed with JWs with beards must be really thrilled right now

https://www.instagram.com/jw.barbas/?hl=fr

In fact, he stole images from other accounts, to prove his point. He did with me as well. Had to ask Instagram twice to take my pictures down for violating copyrights. 

I never wanted to be used as an example for that guy to protest against the society. I don't like how some always have to act like a "Korach" (or how he's spelled in English). Just obey the rules, move with the chariot. Don't complain like the Israelites used to do.

Like others, I can never shave, as my face gets irritated and and I cut myself often as well due to that. 

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

The clarification was clear, and we can all just accept it as a loving announcement from our father Jehovah. 

Spoiler

“A number of branch offices around the world have written to us indicating that there continue to be questions about whether or not it is proper for a brother in an appointed position to wear a beard. After prayerful consideration, the Governing Body has concluded that there is a need to clarify this matter. The Governing Body does not have an issue with brothers wearing beards. Why not? Because the Scriptures do not condemn the wearing of beards. Furthermore, as time has passed, we have noted that in many lands it is acceptable for men who hold responsible positions in business and government to wear beards. Thus, whether a brother wears a beard is a personal decision. A brother’s qualifications to serve as an elder or a ministerial servant are based on his spirituality, not on whether he chooses to wear a beard. This direction also applies to special full-time servants at Bethel and those in the field, including special pioneers, missionaries, and circuit overseers. In harmony with Romans 14:4, neither the elders nor any other Christian should feel compelled to judge a brother who chooses to wear a beard. We trust that these comments will help us to remain on guard against anything that might cause division among Jehovah’s people.”

Some might feel as though they have been vindicated, saying, in effect, ‘This is what I’ve been saying for a long time. This proves that I was right all along!’ Others might feel disappointed, saying, in effect, ‘I supported the policy about grooming for all those years. Now I feel let down!’

When I heard Br. Lett saying this, I thought, I hope that this just doesn't give people any Idea of "Let's join the bandwagon", that it will become an explosive wild growth of beards all around us.

Here in Denmark we've been quite accustomed to this, as many wear beards, and also hold public talks, and other assignments. My son asked why this was an issue when we saw this for our Family worship. And we had a nice talk about it. I was born in the 70's in a time where the "provo's" were dominating the street with disobedience and anti-authority mentality for a decade or so. As such it was clear we didn't want to be like them.

But like the Pharisees in Jesus time who said, "Wash not just your hands, but the whole underarm", some congregations made it a rule not only to be shaven, but also needing to wear a white shirt, and had white shirts hanging in different sizes, for a brother from another congregation who had a coloured shirt on. 

I never liked that attitude, of deciding for others what to do, or not, if the GB didn't have written a guidance on that. We need to be careful, not to judge by our own feelings, but by scripture, and what we see around us.

So when I thought about this, I concluded, that if the brothers want to give it a try, then there is nothing that speaks against it, other than making sure it looks neat and tidy.

Now, I do like a joke or two, three or four. But I hope that this topic doesn't become a joke, or meme topic.

But then again, it is some good news for us that always had to hurt for shaving ourselves, and I do wonder who will be the first on JWBroadcasting to feature a beard. 

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

8 hours ago, Adam! said:

"And he will wipe out every razor from their eyes, and shaving will be no more, neither will blades, nor shaving cream, nor aftershave be anymore. The razor cuts have passed away." 

"... The razor cuts and ingrown hairs have passed away." 😁

image.jpeg.879b3c6997ba386d3c6b8c678005ba68.jpeg

Edited by luisenriquereyes

10 hours ago, Stee said:

Now if we could just get rid of the sisters having to wear skirts.. 😆 Sorry I hate wearing skirts..I look like a dag.. 

SOunds like this will open up a whole new dress and grooming issue. "Brother that was a great talk. I especially appreciate the point ".........". One thing you may want to consider before giving a talk is to check your beard for food bits1"🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Golfguy74

add emoji