JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2023 Governing Body Update #8 / BEARDS!!!

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Just of note: law enforcement and the military have been strict about facial hair but now I'm noticing some local LEO's are sporting a close cropped trimmed beard. They look nice! As well as lawyers and such.

Then my thoughts wandered, meh like it usually does 😄, to how Jehovah created us. We have hair where polite society deems it inappropriate and are compelled to shave. Women in many countries don't shave arms or legs but are ridiculed and considered offensive to others in quite a few parts of the world. But Jehovah made us this way! Time to embrace it. 

So brothers, I hope you fully enjoy your new found way of self expression 🧡. Practice up because those men of old have the beard thing down pat!

Um... for the hair on the sisters' legs, Cheryl: if it could wait 100 or 200 years it would be appreciated around here. The hormones took their toll. We'll see after if you don't mind 😘

3 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Not to mention, during the GT I doubt any one of us will have the time or favourable situation to keep up with ordinary hygiene routines we can do now. It will be survival living, not a time for the luxury of a shave. So, it’s a practical look for our near future too.

In the end, it’s a test of our obedience to Jesus and his congregation. This really is only a “faithful in small things” obedience. For those brothers who were wanting beards but waited patiently on Jehovah, that's the reward for obedience. Soon, that type of obedience will mean our salvation.

Just studied this for this week’s watchtower 

*** w23 October p. 11 par. 18 Are You “Ready to Obey”? ***
18 We can learn to obey. Jesus “learned obedience,” not from being in ideal conditions, but “from the things he suffered.” (Heb. 5:8) Like Jesus, we often learn obedience under challenging circumstances. For example, during the early part of the COVID-19 pandemic when we were asked to stop meeting at our Kingdom Halls and to suspend our house-to-house ministry, did you struggle to obey? Yet, your obedience protected you, united you with fellow believers, and pleased Jehovah. All of us are now better prepared to obey any instructions we receive during the great tribulation. Our lives may depend on it!—Job 36:11.
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2023601&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=26

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

4 minutes ago, Dolce vita said:

Euh... pour les cheveux des sœurs' jambes, Cheryl : si ça pouvait attendre 100 ou 200 ans, ce serait apprécié par ici. Les hormones ont fait des ravages. Nous verrons après si cela ne vous dérange pas 😘

I clarify:  Around here does not mean 'me'😊

We had someone text the entire body the moment it came out. No details by they asked, "Did you see the new GB Update #8? There will be many brothers with tears" I was working and did not know it was released yet. I had to asked, "please no spoilers, will be watching as a family tonight," Then the sarcastic side of me came out and I had to ask "Tears, what did someone die?" 

I guess this did not mean that much to me. I understand how many brothers and sisters who loved beards may feel very excited about this, but I hate facial hair (on myself or my wife) so it wasn't a big deal to me. 

I was more offended by someone asking if I watched the update yet, 10 minutes after it was officially released.  I was so happy when the Watchtower was no longer mailed to us as some brothers were receiving them first class and would receive way before most everyone else. Then the day after they received it started asking "Did you read the latest Watchtower yet? Umm no. I do have to admit they I immaturely got even with this childish behavior with the Watchtower CD. Remember in the 90's when it was hard to get? I was working as a temporary Bethelite and the branch had four of them. Required a $50 donation to get one, so I made the donation and took one home. It was hilarious when the brother who would ask "did you read the latest...? and I flaunted I had a Watchtower CD and they whined that it wasn't fair I had one and they couldn't get one. I was LOL's before LOL'g was internet slang.!!!!

I think this guidance is wonderful. My beard grows very quickly, and futhermore, my skin is a little sensitive. Sometimes I had to hurt my skin a little to go and do something for Jehovah.
I don't know if I look better with or without, but now is the time to test, if I look good with it, it will definitely be a help.

(Be careful! The above comment came from a suspicious source, a 20 year old. There's a risk that he is being: Idiot, reckless or stupid)

2 hours ago, 1MKnight said:

This really surprised me. I have always been under the impression it was up to each BOE in the US except for Assemblies. Huh. Especially given what was said in the 2016 Watchtower

I was surprised that Watchtower had so little impact. At the time, I thought that here and there beards would soon be appearing. Didn’t happen. Beards occurred rarely among the publishers and never (in my area) among the elders or servants. 

A part of me thinks the latest video is just reiterating what was written back then in Sept 2016, almost a ‘doubling down,’ made advisable since ‘an object in motion tends to stay in motion.’ Once ‘no-beards’ was a thing, as it was for decades, it would take more than a single paragraph for our thinking to change.

I remember that Watchtower well because just afterward I wrote a gag post about conducting a Bible Study with Santa Claus. He was making reasonably good progress, was even attending meetings, but he eventually was stumbled and discontinued his study. Now, maybe, just maybe, he will resume it. Of course, I’ll still have to help him with the holiday thing, but at least the beard thing is no more.

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2016/12/how-is-mr-claus-doing-on-his-bible-study.html

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

What I also take from the update is that it now opens up to more of our faithful brothers to be used in all sorts of duties. Things are going to change so very quickly, and we already have very spiritually bearded brothers ready to go to help in shepherding and other organisational roles.

As I listened,  I wondered if this adjustment has anything to do with the great need for appointed men.  As you said, "we already have spiritually bearded brothers ready to go".    The ones kept on ice due to facial hair.

I must confess I prefer my husband to leave a neatly trimmed beard! He’s been studying consistently for the past 8 months and has not missed a meeting since our eldest got baptized April 2022. I was a bit said that he’s going to shave it off and I’m extremely happy that he can keep it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Kwabena said:

Well then I guess you'll be changing your avatar any moment from now :whistling:. He's smoother than a freshly peeled hard boiled egg dipped in cold water. :lol1:

lol that picture was based off of a real picture I took of myself. I’ve tried to upload a real picture of myself but it always says the file is too large. Hopefully I can eventually upload a profile pic with a beard 😊

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, DancesWithWife said:

This would be an acceptable beard in Texas. This is known as a Texas Goatee! Everything is bigger in Texas as the saying goes!

zz-top-glastonbury zz.jpg

It’s funny you posted this because I was just thinking today while I was at work that I hope some brothers don’t try to grow a ZZ Top beard lol

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

53 minutes ago, *Jack* said:

lol that picture was based off of a real picture I took of myself. I’ve tried to upload a real picture of myself but it always says the file is too large. Hopefully I can eventually upload a profile pic with a beard 😊

If you are using Windows, open the picture in the Paint app and click on "resize" and shrink it.  Don't forget to save the new size.

7 minutes ago, jwhess said:

If you are using Windows, open the picture in the Paint app and click on "resize" and shrink it.  Don't forget to save the new size.

Thanks. I use an iPad and iPhone. I downloaded a resize app but I had to make the picture so small that it wasn’t worth using because the quality was so bad. I eventually deleted the app.

Edited by *Jack*

I don’t think the sisters really understand how happy this makes some of us brothers. Imagine if you had to wear short hair or couldn’t wear makeup for decades. Especially when you thought the opposite made you look more feminine. Then imaging hearing the news that you now can. That’s how some of us brothers feel 😁

Edit: I’m not saying short hair and no makeup aren’t feminine. I love short hair on a woman with the right head shape and a woman that wears little or no makeup. I’m just saying generally speaking, many women seem to find long hair and tastefully applied makeup to be a feminine look. Many men find beards to be a masculine look.

Edited by *Jack*

This was a great update! Biblical figures all the way back had beards, Russell and prior GB members had beards, and Jehovah himself made man with facial hair. Had he not wanted it, he would have stated it as a directive in the Bible. I'm glad we have the official word now and the case can be closed!