JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you like your steak cooked?

We like watching Food Network. However, one thing we have noticed ... seems all those chef type people all want their steaks "medium-rare", and they call anything part that as "overcooked".

Personally, I like mine medium. I have two daughter who want theirs "Done" (no pink at all) and one of those has a Chef Certificate. My FIL wants his Well-well-well-well-well-done. If it is not BROWN all the way through, he will say it is still raw!

So .... the poll and the question

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I don't go for red meat that much. but steaks or chops. Well done. No pink or red.

A friend had done medium rare one time. It was hard going.

I have to add marinades or gravy. Too.

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Medium rare for me - in fact, if they are going to err, then err on the rare side. I like it while it still has wonderful flavour and is juicy and succulent. Lamb too has to be pink in the middle, but pork I am less forgiving on - I prefer that nicely cooked through (medium).

hungry-2.gif

I love steak tartare, but after reading that a famous person got e-coli from it (and he would only eat in good restaurants) I am more wary of it. (I might make my own! - There's an idea! Total quality control!)

It depends on the type of cut and where I eat at. A great steak house that has a dark interior will allow me to eat it rare (I can't see well enough to complain that it is not cooked enough). I know that experts say they can not be responsible for the tenderness of a steak if it is well done but I say hooey on that. If the steak is grade Prime (which is only the top 3-5% of meat sold and usually to upper quality steak houses) then it can be cooked well done and still be so tender you do not need a knife to cut it. If it is grade Choice (which is sold mostly in grocery markets) it can still be tender but may require slightly less cooking. The most tender of all cuts are tenderloins, Chateaubriand is taken from the center of the tenderloin, fillet Mignon's, some think they have not as much flavor as the rib eyes and T-bones but they are all excellent. Other wise I like my steak medium well--slight warm pink center. If my husband is grilling the steak and you ask him for med rare he has no problems telling you --you will get it like you get it! He is just that way!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

It depends on the type of cut and where I eat at. A great steak house that has a dark interior will allow me to eat it rare (I can't see well enough to complain that it is not cooked enough). I know that experts say they can not be responsible for the tenderness of a steak if it is well done but I say hooey on that. If the steak is grade Prime (which is only the top 3-5% of meat sold and usually to upper quality steak houses) then it can be cooked well done and still be so tender you do not need a knife to cut it. If it is grade Choice (which is sold mostly in grocery markets) it can still be tender but may require slightly less cooking. The most tender of all cuts are tenderloins, Chateaubriand is taken from the center of the tenderloin, fillet Mignon's, some think they have not as much flavor as the rib eyes and T-bones but they are all excellent. Other wise I like my steak medium well--slight warm pink center. If my husband is grilling the steak and you ask him for med rare he has no problems telling you --you will get it like you get it! He is just that way!

Really? Is that what he tells customers?

I guess our friends and family are easy to please and roll with the flow! Lol. If someone is kind enough to buy steaks and do all the cooking you should be greatful. Now if you are a paying customer then that is a different matter. And yes, he is an amazing bartender as posted above!:ecstatic:

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 1 year later...

When ordering steak in the NW I order rare, and it usually comes to the table medium, edible but no prize.

If I am at good steak house such Ruth's Chris, rare is just right for my taste.

If I am at the"The Big Texan" I have learned to order medium rare, which is a very rare by NW standards.

Texas rare is not even warm in the middle. If you don't look like a native they usually warn you in advance

Anybody else eat at the "Big Texan"? Try the 72 oz. it's free.   :)  :blink:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I like rare to med/rare. I love onion and mushrooms and horseraddish sauce smeared all over it. 

I always make 3, hubby doesn't eat steak, and refrigerate sliced up leftovers in Auju. Next day warm a serving on the stove, add rice and swiss cheese and slide into a soft taco shell- YA MAMMA! That's living!  

Ohh, I love this topic!

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Depends on the cut of meat for me. I love a sirloin medium maybe a little bit more than that. A nice tenderloin medium to medium well. Depends on how thick it is. 

I always try to tell Michelle to get the butcher to cut tenderloin 2" Thick. No no its too much. Nope the thicker it is it will not dry out. Any less than 1.5 inches you risk drying it out on the grill. Love cooking it with a dalope of horse radish cooked into it or let a table spoon or more of Blue Cheese on top and let it melt just a little so its soft on top of the steak.

Awesome.

Cows eat grass, Wheat, Hay, oats, Ect. They process those foods and turn it into muscle. I eat that muscle therefor I am a vegetarian.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

• 4 weeks later...

Medium rare for me - in fact, if they are going to err, then err on the rare side. I like it while it still has wonderful flavour and is juicy and succulent.

Me too. I even tell waiters and waitresses that I will send it back if it comes over cooked. Better undercooked than over cooked. Medium rare is the way to go.

Looks like the medium to medium rare is winning in this race. I loved the response of the sister who said

she liked her's  DEAD. Mark me down for Medium Rare and Dead too ! :eat:  :chef:  :thumbsup:

GStorrs46

I used to only eat my steaks "char burnt" for decades but then something changed in me about 10 years ago and I don't know why. I started eating my steaks "medium". Now, if my steak is not cooked to order, I'd prefer it being medium rare to welldone. May have something to do with that vampire bat bite I got years ago. Hehe!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D