JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Witness memes

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, EccentricM said:

I get the joke of the video, it's the coffin dance meme. Though I don't think it really hit the mark or context of how it's usually used, lol.

For those who don't understand:

People have been posting this video about as a form of dark gallows humour, indicating that someone might be about to die, get hurt or simply may have something "bad happen" to them, but in a "foreboding comedic" way. A mix of mocking death itself or mocking/celebrating a person who had died (who may have deserved it - example might be say... Satan is about to be executed forever, and suddenly this video plays just before it happens to make fun of it, representing that they are "coming for him" with the coffin, or are dancing with him in it to celebrate), there are various applications of the joke though.

But I don't think Dinah's rape really fits into this sort of meme structure, or any meme/joke really in an appropriate way.

The coffin dancers thing actually started from my country, Ghana(its actually a business for these pall bearers here). And it has now gained worldwide frenzy. Its just humorous...not only depicts death but for any bad situation thats going to befall someone. So in this case, it was showing that as Joseph was carried, he was going to be thrown into the  well and sold.. hence the tune. Very funny if u ask me

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:35 AM, EccentricM said:

@Paa Yaw oh that's really interesting! I had wondered if it was a cultural tradtion and how native people from where you are felt about the meme.

Oh, the undertakers have become sensations everywhere! Oh no! 🤦‍♂️

I always tell my husband the socks should match the trousers. Now I learn from the brothers here, the trend had always been to be more original. 

https://www.gq.com/story/sock-match-debate (2002!!!!

You also may certainly match your socks to your trousers if you like, but matching your socks to your tie, your shirt (Fred Astaire seemed to like doing that), your pocket square, your eyes, your fountain pen or your 1949 Lagonda drophead coupe may be more original. Some days, when I’m feeling angry, I wear socks that don’t match anything

Fred Astaire in A Damsel in Distress, 1937Oh wow, looks so stylish.

I match my socks to my "health" .... If I wear any colored socks I have adverse reactions from my feet. I have been wearing white only since I was 14 years old.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Some people are allergic to dyes in their clothing. I'm allergic to latex. So garments that are partly made from elastin gives me a rash around my waist or legs.

https://www.cottonique.com/blogs/blog/5-reasons-why-you-are-allergic-to-certain-clothing-and-what-you-can-do-to-resolve-it-strong-p-p-p-1

🙅

Dye

Some people are also allergic to dye in general due to the presence of paraphenylenediamine or PPD. Although all colored clothing definitely contains a fair amount of dye, black dye contains more PPD compared to other dye colors. PPD can cause severe skin reactions especially to people who are susceptible to skin allergies. If you are allergic to PPD, then it is best to pick other colors like neutral ones or even just plain white colored clothes. You may also find a clothing line which does not use PPD on their dyed clothes.

Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is used to prevent cotton fiber from being attacked by parasites. It is also added to strengthen the cotton material against deterioration. This resin is actually quite important especially in conventional clothing materials since it can make the clothes resistant from wrinkles. However, clothes which have been processed with formaldehyde are one of the leading causes for skin allergies or irritation.

If you are not too sure if the clothes have been processed with formaldehyde, then the best solution is to wash them first before using

Edited by M'Awan

59 minutes ago, pnutts said:

White is not a color. It is all colors

Use all the crayons at the same time and tell me what colour you get. It isn't white...😂👍🏻

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

exactly. 

Only when talking about light and not pigments

actually when you see white you're seeing all light reflected. when you see any other color you're seeing a subset of light specter. Particularly, when it's black, you see no light

7 hours ago, pnutts said:

White is not a color. It is all colors.  Hmmmm auto correct doesn't like proper spelling, granted so I don't confuse our American brothers I use US keyboard

6 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

exactly. 

Only when talking about light and not pigments

actually when you see white you're seeing all light reflected. when you see any other color you're seeing a subset of light specter. Particularly, when it's black, you see no light

23 hours ago, Barbllm said:

Haha! The instructional manual for reasoning with the sisters

Volume 1.

Yeah. I heard about that book several years ago. An elder showed me a few sample introductions in it you might use so as to get to know a sister you like. I also read a couple of examples of what to say when the sister uses a "conversation stopper." You know the ones, such as "I'm not interested," or "I've got my own boyfriend," etc. Well, I decided to try out once of those introductions on a sister. But she said: "I'M MARRIED!" Well, I went back to the elder and asked him why this "conversation stopper" wasn't discussed in the book. Unfortunately, he had no answer. So I gave up.

Sorry to say, I didn't find much use in that book. :shrugs: