JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting in Paris

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2834 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Brussels is facing lockdown as the officials sweep a neighborhood of refugees and find weapons and explosives. Sad situation but very good that they found them before there was another attack like in Paris.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/w-hile-europe-remains-on-edge-brussels-is-placed-on-maximum-alert/2015/11/21/ac2ffaa4-8ef5-11e5-934c-a369c80822c2_story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/world/war-on-isis-whos-doing-what/index.html

They have formed a "coalition of nations" to fight together against Isis.

The United States and its coalition partners have targeted ISIS with 8,216 airstrikes -- 5,383 in Iraq and 2,833 in Syria, through November 16, the Pentagon says.

Through the end of October, the United States struck ISIS 5,473 times, compared with 1,574 strikes by other countries in the coalition, including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/world/war-on-isis-whos-doing-what/index.html

They have formed a "coalition of nations" to fight together against Isis.

The United States and its coalition partners have targeted ISIS with 8,216 airstrikes -- 5,383 in Iraq and 2,833 in Syria, through November 16, the Pentagon says.

Through the end of October, the United States struck ISIS 5,473 times, compared with 1,574 strikes by other countries in the coalition, including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

Russia have already join Britain wants in too.

Russia have already join Britain wants in too.

Britain is part of the United Kingdom

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Britain (UK) not involved in Syria yet only against ISIS in Iraq; Cameron requests MPs to vote on expansion into Syria this week.

Very OT but here are some pedant's points about Britain, Great Britain and the UK ...

Great Britain refers to the main island of the British Isles. It does not include the island of Ireland therefore does not include Northern Ireland.  Great Britain is purely a land mass and incorporates the mainland of England, Scotland and Wales.

There is no official country of "Britain".  The Kingdom of Britain ended at the end of 1800 when the The "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" was born.  This remained in place until the majority of Ireland seeded in 1922 to form the Republic of Ireland.  At that point the modern day "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" was formed.

The modern day U.K. has England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as it's constituent countries.   "Britain" has been used as an interchangeable reference to the U.K. for many years but no longer appears in official government documentation.  The U.K. is a sovereign state but the constituent countries are not.  Scotland, Wales and N.I. do have devolved governments however.

The armed land force is known as the "British Army" however.

Very OT but here are some pedant's points about Britain, Great Britain and the UK ...

Great Britain refers to the main island of the British Isles. It does not include the island of Ireland therefore does not include Northern Ireland. Great Britain is purely a land mass and incorporates the mainland of England, Scotland and Wales.

There is no official country of "Britain". The Kingdom of Britain ended at the end of 1800 when the The "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" was born. This remained in place until the majority of Ireland seeded in 1922 to form the Republic of Ireland. At that point the modern day "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" was formed.

The modern day U.K. has England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as it's constituent countries. "Britain" has been used as an interchangeable reference to the U.K. for many years but no longer appears in official government documentation. The U.K. is a sovereign state but the constituent countries are not. Scotland, Wales and N.I. do have devolved governments however.

The armed land force is known as the "British Army" however.

Appreciate the OT insight!

President Obama will be giving a statement in a few minutes on his meeting with President Hollande on the worldwide coalition, they say Hollande has asked Obama and Putin later today to step up their fight on ISIS. Interesting!!!

Captagon: Evidence Paris attackers used 'jihadist's drug' favoured by Islamic State fighters​

"Is it possible to slaughter dozens of innocent people without batting an eyelid, without feeling the slightest remorse?

Survivors of the Paris attacks have described some of the gunmen as "zombie-like", even serene, as they pulled their triggers and killed as many people as they could.

French media are reporting evidence that the attackers were high on a drug that is found almost exclusively in the Middle East, and increasingly used by Islamic State fighters.

It's been dubbed the "jihadist's drug" because of its ability to mask pain, fear and hunger, and keep fighters awake, calm and alert for long stretches.

Captagon — a synthetic amphetamine-based pill — is considered the drug of choice for Islamic State fighters in Syria, Iraq and, now it seems, Paris.

French media reports say there is increasing evidence the Paris attackers may have taken Captagon to prepare themselves in the hours before the November 13 attacks.

Several witnesses who survived the attacks have described the gunmen as being in a "zombie-like" state, as if stupefied by drugs.

​"I saw a man shoot," one witness told French television station M6.

"I saw a man who was peaceful, composed, with a face that was almost serene, contemplative, advance towards the bar.

"He sprayed the terrace [with bullets] as anyone else would spray their lawn with a garden hose."

"They were like zombies," said another witness who'd watched several gunmen parked in a black VW Polo outside a restaurant, shortly before the killings began.

"It's as if they were drugged."

Captagon was originally produced in the West in the 1960s to treat conditions such as hyperactivity and depression. But it was later banned in most countries because of its addictive nature.

Now it is overwhelmingly found in the Middle East, particularly Syria, where its production and use has soared since the start of the country's civil war.

It contains the stimulant fenethylline, which is metabolised by the liver to produce amphetamine and theophylline, which travel through the bloodstream to the brain and act as a stimulant.

Drug experts, traders and local activists say Syrian production of Captagon accelerated in 2013, outpacing production in other countries in the region such as Lebanon, according to a report by the Reuters news agency. 

"

It's pretty full on that they would be drugging themselves so they can do this without their conscience rearing up.

Jez, thank you for this explanation.

I have also often heard the term "Briton" but I am not sure if it refers to any UK citizen, a native from the Great Britain or something more specific.

In informal contexts in Spain we usually refer to anything from UK as England and English. But when I visited Scotland I found out its not a good idea to say "Here in England..." or "You English people...". :lol:

Jez, thank you for this explanation.

I have also often heard the term "Briton" but I am not sure if it refers to any UK citizen, a native from the Great Britain or something more specific.

In informal contexts in Spain we usually refer to anything from UK as England and English. But when I visited Scotland I found out its not a good idea to say "Here in England..." or "You English people...". :lol:

Yup - equating England with the whole of the U.K. is a common mistake and one that does cause varying levels of offence depending on context and the mood of the person.  Foreigners may be politely corrected but don't count on it being polite 100% of the time as many Scottish, Welsh and Irish people find it ignorant.

As for nationality, it's usual to put British or U.K. down on formal documents (i.e. a British citizen) but if you were to ask people what their nationality is they may have a very different answer.  Many non-English citizens may refer to their constituent country, especially if they are independently minded.  This is because although "British" should be generically equated with a U.K. citizen it does have an historical bias to the political history of dominance by the English.  Many have a sense of national pride that is focused on their home country (i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, N.I.) first and the U.K. second.

The whole thing is further complicated by the fact that a British Citizen includes U.K. citizens and other territories that are not part of the U.K.  

There is a very mixed sense of national pride and patriotism across the country but this is not unusual.  I think parts of the US can be similar, for example, Texas.  People identify with the state almost as much as, if not more than, the nation because there is a sense of detachment from the NE US centric federal government that goes back 150 years.  In Spain you have two areas in Catalonia and the Basque region where people are officially Spanish but have a very different identity themselves.

Yup - equating England with the whole of the U.K. is a common mistake and one that does cause varying levels of offence depending on context and the mood of the person.  Foreigners may be politely corrected but don't count on it being polite 100% of the time as many Scottish, Welsh and Irish people find it ignorant.

As for nationality, it's usual to put British or U.K. down on formal documents (i.e. a British citizen) but if you were to ask people what their nationality is they may have a very different answer.  Many non-English citizens may refer to their constituent country, especially if they are independently minded.  This is because although "British" should be generically equated with a U.K. citizen it does have an historical bias to the political history of dominance by the English.  Many have a sense of national pride that is focused on their home country (i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, N.I.) first and the U.K. second.

The whole thing is further complicated by the fact that a British Citizen includes U.K. citizens and other territories that are not part of the U.K.  

There is a very mixed sense of national pride and patriotism across the country but this is not unusual.  I think parts of the US can be similar, for example, Texas.  People identify with the state almost as much as, if not more than, the nation because there is a sense of detachment from the NE US centric federal government that goes back 150 years.  In Spain you have two areas in Catalonia and the Basque region where people are officially Spanish but have a very different identity themselves.

No matter what, we all descendants of Adam, Eve, and Noah too. 

• 7 months later...