JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Shooting in Paris

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2847 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Idolatry is NOT a conscience matter. It is just WRONG for a Christian to be involved in idolatry in ANY WAY!!!

Flags are idolatrous symbols of the countries they represent. To intentionally display one would be the same as committing idolatry.

Now, if you had one on a uniform you wore for work as part of their logo - this would get you into the grey area of "conscience" - especially if you could not ask to wear something different. BUT to INTENTIONALLY adopt this idolatrous symbol in a show of "solidarity"   :eek:   :nope: HOW DISGUSTING!!!! This is just spitting in Jehovah's face!

So, then, you see someone from your congregation change their Facebook avatar to a French flag.  As an elder, how do you proceed?  Would you proceed the same way as if you saw this Christian bowing down to an idol?  

So, then, you see someone from your congregation change their Facebook avatar to a French flag.  As an elder, how do you proceed?  Would you proceed the same way as if you saw this Christian bowing down to an idol?  

There is a difference between showing the flag and saluting a flag.

I would have a talk with the brother on the topic of Christian neutrality.

Galatians 6:1

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

@Catrina,I'm pretty sure that those that can hunt will be in high demand when the GT comes if it gets so bad that we are needing food...

I disagree.  Plenty of brothers and sisters live in heavily urban areas.  There may not be a single person in their entire circuit or region who could hunt. 

If things get that bad during the Great Tribulation and God's people are in that dire need of food, I'm confident Jehovah will provide.  He has done so in the past.

We've not been encouraged to hoard food or make our "go bags" into "Great Tribulation bags."  Nor have we been encouraged to learn to hunt.

There is a difference between showing the flag and saluting a flag.

I would have a talk with the brother on the topic of Christian neutrality.

Galatians 6:1

And if they won't change, we would remove them from their privileges AND then if they still wouldn't - yes a judicial committee based on their having a NON neutral stand.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

http://reut.rs/1NWSYX0

http://www.haaretz.com/world-news/1.686436?v=894680F92FC46EDC8CB6C094A8178B4D

Hollande demands 1 grand coalition to defeat Isis demands US and Russia to join forces.

They demand and demand but the nations are still reluctant especially USA (mean sending ground troops)

Well ...one or more similar attacks (can happen anytime - anywhere) will "force" them to do something ..  public will demand it as well

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I disagree.  Plenty of brothers and sisters live in heavily urban areas.  There may not be a single person in their entire circuit or region who could hunt. 

If things get that bad during the Great Tribulation and God's people are in that dire need of food, I'm confident Jehovah will provide.  He has done so in the past.

We've not been encouraged to hoard food or make our "go bags" into "Great Tribulation bags."  Nor have we been encouraged to learn to hunt.

So, you say I can eat the "chocolate cookies" from my "Go Bag" ? LOL :popcorn:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I agree 100%.  Just that a young brother in my congregation seems to think it's just "colors.. how about sideways?  No, that's the Netherlands flag"... He's yet to remove it from his profile and evidently there are other Witnesses out there who feel such patriotic solidarity, as well.  And there are those who haven't done that but insist it's a conscience matter.

It will be interesting if a war is declared.  Surely, displaying a nation's flag indicates whose side your on... I wouldn't want to be caught out like that...

It's interesting how quickly some people can get caught up in the emotional fever of a traumatic event and lose their focus.

Our WT study on Sunday is so appropriate, there is a 'storm' in the 'sea' of mankind in Paris and I wonder how many 'Peters' turned to look at it and are sinking into the 'sea'. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

And if they won't change, we would remove them from their privileges AND then if they still wouldn't - yes a judicial committee based on their having a NON neutral stand.

That is jumping the gun a bit.

Privligers yes, no question.

"If they still wouldn't what???

Apointing a judicial committee would require require joining or vocally supporting a non-neutral organization, or religion.

Saying you like France over Isis would not meet the test of joining a non-neutral organization.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

If as a person in the USA decided to put a American flag in my face Bk profile what would that say.

Just saying that it would not b too Christ like :)

once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing strips with plaid is easy. Einstein

In relation to the flag:

In God’s eyes, Satan’s entire world is bloodguilty. Its political systems, portrayed in the Scriptures as vicious beasts, have slaughtered countless millions, including many of Jehovah’s servants. (Daniel 8:3, 4, 20-22; Revelation 13:1, 2, 7, 8)

Because Jesus’ followers are “no part of the world” but remain strictly neutral toward its politics and wars, they avoid personal and community bloodguilt. (John 15:19; 17:16)
When he was still King-Designate, Jesus explained to the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate: “My kingdom is no part of this world. If my kingdom were part of this world, my attendants would have fought that I should not be delivered up to the Jews. But, as it is, my kingdom is not from this source.” (John 18:36) Subjects of the heavenly Kingdom, therefore, neither take up arms against anyone nor take sides in any human conflict. In loyalty to the “Prince of Peace,” they remain completely neutral in the partisan affairs of the world.—Isaiah 2:2-4; 9:6, 7

Edited by Gregexplore

:oops::wall:  :offtopic:  :deadhorse:   

Hebrew men of ancient times grew beards. Yet, the Bible tells us that Joseph shaved prior to appearing before Pharaoh. (Genesis 41:14) Why did he shave? To conform with Egyptian custom and etiquette, which considered facial hair to be a sign of uncleanness. “[The Egyptians] prided themselves on being clean-shaven,” says the book Everyday Life in Ancient Egypt. In fact, cosmetic sets consisting of razors, tweezers, and mirrors, along with their containers, have been found in tombs.

It's interesting how quickly some people can get caught up in the emotional fever of a traumatic event and lose their focus.

Our WT study on Sunday is so appropriate, there is a 'storm' in the 'sea' of mankind in Paris and I wonder how many 'Peters' turned to look at it and are sinking into the 'sea'.

Time to lovingly help them to refocus on Jesus. The tests of faith are about to intensify for all of us. May we all stay focused on Jesus and refocus quickly if we take our eyes off him but a moment.

Hollande believes the constitution needs to change and police need to have more overreaching power. Hmmm

Seems changes are happening with the police force in NSW too.

"New South Wales Police are being trained to shoot terrorists on sight rather than try to contain them and negotiate, in a change of policy prompted by recent attacks."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-17/nsw-police-trained-to-shoot-extremists-on-sight/6946658

I just want to mention that flags are not idols in themselves. They are just a symbol of a country. There are situations where it's not improper to display a national flag. It's worship of the flag that is idolatry.

But then there's the neutrality issue. A brother who voluntarily displays a national flag in his home or his Facebook profile is missing the point of neutrality. It would be like someone playing the national anthem and saying it has no political connotations, that they just like the music and the lyrics.

A judicial committee sounds a bit of an extreme measure, but it's clear that Witnesses who display national flags do not have a clear understanding of what being neutral implies and need readjustment.

Don't know anything about judicial committees, but I would not display the flag of any country. In this circumstance it's definitely not displaying neutrality. As far as showing disdain for ISIS - From Jehovah's point of view, are ISIS any different to France? Or any other country or religion? They are all part of Satan's System.

You're either on the "narrow path" or not. While we hate wickedness, war, violence, death, etc. it's not right to show solidarity with one part of Satan's system against another.

If they want to show how much they hate what's happening, why not increase their hours in the Preaching Work?