JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Game - What could you tell an faithful man or woman of old that would be hard for them to believe about our world now?

I would feel happy in explaining to them how we preached and took studies. The purpose of tracts, brouchers,magazines videos jw broadcasting. Return visit. Studies. Reviews. Un baptised publishers. Baptised publishers. Pioneers. Elders. Ms.co s. Do s. Secretary coordinators. Bethel. Service desk. Building committee. ............disfellowshipped ones. ......reinstated ones. ....

I would explain how we discovered semi-conductors and managed to fit billions of transistors onto a microchip, and how we got computers to do amazing things using digital logic after which they would say: Can you explain that again from the beginning?

Mind you I got that reaction from a brother a few weeks ago :P.

Hopefully you will have the internet to assist you.....

http://siliconrun.com/

This explains/demonstrates the semi conductor manufacturing process...

As for digital logic........ the Indian Institute of Technology has the finest tutorials for digital systems available online..... I wouldn't have passed my training without a wonderful Indian professor explaining it, since my reading the textbook made my eyes go....  :blink:  :wacko:

You wouldn't believe these things we sometimes referred to as 'electronic leashes'  And you carried them with you everywhere you went .   I mean everywhere.   These devices known as cell phones were equipped with cameras to take photos and you could even take pics of yourself and others at the same time.  We called them 'selfies'.   Then you could take that photo and put it on a device in the phone called the internet with different websites , some called, Instagram, Facebook, twitter and leave that photo and other photos and comments about them.   Comments could be made without having to even talk with a person and hearing their voice.   it got to where more people liked to just use words than hear the voices of others  using this same device, a cell phone.  When you used just words to talk to others they called it texting.     It is hard to explain. But who would have guessed just 20 years before Armageddon these things were used by EVERYONE.

That we lived in a world where a great proportion of the world were dying of malnutrition and starvation, while simultaneously in the rest of the world (the First world) we have bulimia and anorexia, and obesity.  And with that gadgets for exercising, powders for weight loss and a whole industry dedicated to telling you how you look.

That a major proportion of the population in the First world suffers from anxieties and depression despite having plenty to eat and relative stability.  That these people needed strong prescribed mind-altering drugs just to survive, or they "self-medicated" with drugs and alcohol, and overeating.

I would love to see the look on their faces when they're told that instead of going to the field and harvest grain for cereal, all we had to do, basically, was take a quick walk to to the store and buy oatmeal, farina, corn flakes, etc. Wait...then you'll have to explain what a store is.

I think it would be funny trying to explain how technology works. Like "ignoring" settings in phones.

"okay so, this person has a device that puts words into it. Then the words go into the air and put into my device. And then I ignore it."

They're going to think we're crazy!

~Van

I think no ancient culture would understand abortion. Everybody was crazy with having children. Having many children was the biggest blessing one could hope for. And now people get an abortion just because it's not the proper time or they don't want to be distracted from their professional careers. Scary! :ph34r:

And to still be able to visit the ancient ruins of Ephesus, the pyramids of Egypt, the Coliseum in Rome, Hezekiah's tunnel under the City of David, and numerous biblical ruins and archaeological sites in the Middle East. And to be able to be there in a matter of hours. :sunshine:  

I like your profile pic Brother Michael very pretty - I wonder how many wonders in the world that have been lost - and those resurrected might even astound US with some of the things we have missed. Never know.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I like your profile pic Brother Michael very pretty - I wonder how many wonders in the world that have been lost - and those resurrected might even astound US with some of the things we have missed. Never know.

You know Sis. Mandi, its incredible that some of these old biblical sites are still around and preserved to this day. The old library In Ephesus still stands with inscriptions in Greek and Latin. and the chariot ruts in the old marble streets carved out thousands of years ago.  Old marble pillars strewn about. And the old theater ruins that Paul preached in is still there. Rome is also a must see, but who knows.... more than likely most of all of those old ruins will be destroyed at Armageddon. just speculating

I can only imagine what the Garden of Eden must have been like, nobody will be around to explain that one. :D   

Edited by Precision

I think people would be surprised to learn of tv shows where mothers appear publicly and try to ascertain who the father or their child is. Personally, I find this rather strange and can only imagine how the children would react, should they see the reruns years from now.

• 4 weeks later...

Fast  food restaurants.

that's what came to my mind...how to explain that while they had to 'hunt' for food, we were able to drive up to a speaker and order a #7 :chef:

Psalms 51:6 "In the secret self...may you cause me to know sheer wisdom"