JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What kind of a cook are you?

I love to cook using fresh ingredients. Since learning about GMO foods many years ago, I've learn to use mainly organic ingredients - when I can afford it. I get many of my recipes off the internet and many have turned out well. Aside from Basmati rice, one of my favorite grains is Quinoa. It's amazing how versatile it is.

Since my area is heading towards cold weather, I perfer hot stews, soups and bean dishes throughout the winter. Usually, by the first of March I've had enough! Homemade chicken soup is on the menu tomorrow night after the meeting. :)

I'm an amateur foodie. Would LOVE to be a food critic. I would not consider myself a baker although I can if i have to, but definitely a cook. I would cook anything asian, (thai, Chinese and Japanese are my fav.) Love cooking Turkish food.

And good 'ol kiwi food. Which really is a twist on the English cuisine.But with a lot more seafood - us being islands and all.

My all time favourite is NZ Crayfish and homemade Paua Fritters.

Oooh Dilips post reminded me LOVE indian curries ... especially Fijian Indian.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I cook. Our Wednesday meet for service always has some sort of lunch afterwards. And the menu is not planned. It is the kind of group if you brought boiled potatoes, they would be gone, and you would be thanked.

Well, the CO was here. I wanted something they could not buy. We are on an Indian reservation, so I decided to make smoked salmon soup. It is like clam chowder, but using plenty of smoked salmon. And we put jalapeño peppers in it, so it has a zing. I took none home.

This is weekly, so it can be a chore or lots of fun. Mostly fun. I get to try crock pot recipes, which my husband has a aversion to.

We just gathered acorns. I told Sid that when we get some acorns leeched, I want to make us some soup for the group.The smoked salmon goes with it.

In the meantime, I have a lot of butternut squash. Volunteer from the garden. So, it has been squash pies, spiced squash with pineapple, and even some with hot spiced pork sausage with that squash. I still have more. Will steam it, and freeze the stuff. I think I am a practical cook. I manage. But our group is fun...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I love squash!  This is my favorite time of year for cooking!  I greatly enjoy going to the farmers market and the grocery stores and seeing all the gorgeous pumpkins and gourds lining the entrance way.  I love to decorate with them too.  Their unusual sizes and shapes--what a variety!  Colors. Beautiful. Colors.  Sooooo many recipes.  I would love to have a squash themed party and everyone had to bring a squash dish of some sort.  The whole meal would consist of nothing but squash prepared in many forms. Appetizers. Entrees. Sides. Dessert. Drinks.  Nothing but squash I tell you! The only other addition would be some type of bread.  Hey, that could be a squash bread too!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I should pretend cooking is like being in the lab. Should introduce a line of cookware for geeks. A few Petri dishes for jello, some organic chem set up for extracting the chemicals from the herbs and spices.

You might be surprised that my sister and I did 4 qts of chili/pasta sauce with hamburger, beans, spinach, squash (peppercorn and acorn), 4 diff colours of peppers etc plus a whole swack of seasoning. It was so nutritious and delicious I lost 4lbs in a week.....made a total of 25 meals.

Out now, so will have to do another cooking blitz. blech.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a Kitchen Aid countertop that does toasting baking, broiling, and a NU wave  (convection combination)that I use less (but it does cook even from frozen.) I don't have to use my big stove unless I have company. I also have a couple of slow cookers.   

I've got one of those too!  I absolutely love it.  I would recommend buying a toaster oven over a toaster any day.  So much more versitile!  It saves us a lot of money too.  Perfect for one or two people.  I'd be lost without mine. 

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Some time back we got a large electric roaster - the kind with a handle on each end and can hold a large turkey, two whole chickens, two pork buts - you get the idea.

I was in one of the large box stores when I came across the roaster. It was marked down because it had a broken handle on one end. When I got home I called the company that made it to see if I could get a replacement handle - I was willing to pay for it. The fellow on the other end asked which handle it was .... the one from the lid or the one from the cooker. I told him exactly which handle it was and he said he would send me one. He took my name and mailing address and, before I could ask him how much it was, he said thank you and hung up.

A couple weeks later my daughter called me and asked if I was expecting a large package. I said no so she asked if she could open it. She called me back and told me that when she opened the large package it contained an complete, brand new roaster - so, now we have two of them.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I got us a toaster oven a year or so back, I like it. I tend to use it more than Denise does cuz I eat more than she does. I have several decent snacks a day and then we have a meal later.

I'll put tortillas with deli meat and cheese in it, I make a Hawaiian Jack sammich, sliced ham, pineapples and jack cheese on rye toasted open face, I  make like one cookie at a time, its a nice thing to have. .:cowboy::coffee:

Lazy. Shameful I know but it is what it is.

I guess it's because since my kids are now grown and gone, I don't give it too much thought, just throw something together and eat...if that much is even done. And, haha, the pounds show it too. :wacko:

Toaster ovens are great for small items, and you can bake larger items, like a pan of cookies, loaf of bread, meat loaf......possibilities are limitless. If your cooking utensil fits, you can bake in there.

one thing, if you live in the south, it is a huge bonus. don't have to heat the large oven which takes some time.

8 hours ago, MizPeg said:

one thing, if you live in the south, it is a huge bonus. don't have to heat the large oven which takes some time.

I live in the South and can appreciate what you mean ... the house can be hot enough without the oven on. My daughter bought a new stove for our house that has an oven with a divider that makes it into two ovens if desired. The top portion heats even faster than the toaster oven if we use the convection setting and will hold full sized baking pans/devices.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~