JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Oregon Automatically Registering to Vote

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3035 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

If the brothers aren't aware of this they could be automatically registered to vote. There is the possibility to opt out but if you're unaware of this you're automatically a registered voter.  This article is from March but it's just been on the radio lately. Has this been posted?

Republicans argued that automatic registration amounts to coercing people to vote. “Government should nudge people to do the right thing but not force people,” Rep. Knute Buehler (R ) told The Bend Bulletin in January.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/17/its-official-new-oregon-law-will-automatically-register-people-to-vote/

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Registering people to vote is like registering for the draft (Selective Service). It does not indicate that one will participate.  I would personally opt out, because it is a campaign practice to telephone people on the voting list (on voting day) to urge them to go out and vote.  Obviously, this has abated with the use of cellular phones compared to land lines. Some may think that if they get a phone call, it would be an opportunity to Witness.  Not my preference. :phone:  

We have been getting the stupid notifications of our voting privilege. We of course dont bother and throw them in the garbage. It does bug me that we are on the voting list but what can ya do? It doesnt bother me enough to spend the hours it will take to get me off the list.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

My thoughts were that the State will register you as a republican (I think that's the one they said). People will have to remember to opt out very soon to not have it go into effect or have to go back and change their affiliation if they don't like being a republican. 

And Greg, that's my point. It will become a problem. More rules to try to avoid and fight off. I'm thankful it's not in my state yet, I'd probably forget to opt out then be irritated because my DL says I'm a republican.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Being registered doesn't mean you're obliged to vote, does it? Republican, Democrat- neither can actually count me, regardless.

I'm not seeing a problem here..

I would personally have a problem being a registered voter, it's like being listed as a church member. I wouldn't want any connection with the political system at all. 

I can imagine many issues with it years (or months) from now when we take our stand as Jehovah's Witnesses and someone is discovered to be a registered voter, that would create a lot of confusion.

I can imagine issues with it this year when the Republican Presidential candidate says there are X number of Republicans supporting him and you discover your name is on the list he is using...

Yeah, I'd have a big issue with it.... 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

But how can that be, if you're not participating?

I don't know but if they adopt that in Calif I'd find out. I personally don't want my name on any list that could connect me with any false religious organization or political party. I'd personally do everything I could to get my name off the list just to ensure it didn't cause any confusion now or during the GT.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think if the Faithful Slave wanted us to be concerned they would tell us. If they felt it would be a violation of our neutrality, they would make it known. If they thought it would cause confusion down the road, again we would have direction. Remember what good hand we are in. Rather than stress over one governmental entity sharing information with another I will use my energy to preach and teach during this appropriate time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know but if they adopt that in Calif I'd find out. I personally don't want my name on any list that could connect me with any false religious organization or political party. I'd personally do everything I could to get my name off the list just to ensure it didn't cause any confusion now or during the GT.

Brother Richard

Are you serious? Remember selective service? Did you keep your name off that list?

The law means nothing for JWs. 

Oregon will save big bucks by not having to operate registration office. Historically voter registration has been a tool to deny citizens the right to vote, not to encourage voting. The freedom to vote or not to vote, is now a matter of choice unencumbered by registration 

I am a citizen of the state of Oregon, being registered to vote means nothing and nothing has changed for me. Why? I don't vote.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Brother Richard Are you serious? 

Well I thought I was...

Like I said, if it was going to affect me, I'd find out more about it. 

Thanks for the slap down, next time I'll just keep my opinion to myself.

Edited by Tortuga

In the UK everyone registers to vote, it gets you on the electoral register - which is used when companies do credit checks or other identity checks. If you're not on the register it could mean you're refused credit, insurance and a passport.

So every year I register, but obviously don't vote. It doesn't associate me with any political party....but may be different in U.S. If they are giving you default affiliations.

A person can just go to the Oregon state government site and check out the accurate information - rather than relying on supposition:

What’s new?
Under the old system, most Oregonians needed to take a separate step to register to vote at the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) after obtaining or renewing their driver license. This new law will make voter registration automatic, shifting from an opt-in process to an opt-out process. The new law eliminates the need to fill out the voter registration card. Instead, eligible Oregonians will receive a mailing from the Oregon Elections Division explaining their options for registering to vote.

What are the options?

​​With the Oregon Motor Voter card, you have three options:

Do nothing. You will be registered to vote as a nonaffiliated voter (not a member of a political party).

Choose a political party by returning the card. Joining a political party will allow you to vote in its primary elections.

Use the card to opt-out and decline to register to vote.

http://sos.oregon.gov/voting/Pages/motor-voter-faq.aspx

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

A person can just go to the Oregon state government site and check out the accurate information - rather than relying on supposition:

http://sos.oregon.gov/voting/Pages/motor-voter-faq.aspx

What if I don't want to register to vote?

Opting out is simple. The Elections Division will send you information on Oregon Motor Voter that explains your automatic voter registration options. If you don’t want to be registered, just check the box on the OMV Card to opt out, sign it, and drop it in the mail.​​

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I tried researching this  but I came up blank.  I understand that there is nothing unscriptural about registering to vote.  If the law mandated all citizens must register to vote, I know as Christians we can comply with that law.  I just can't find the appropriate references.  Does anyone know of a Watchtower or publication that touches on this topic?

*** w99 11/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers ***
In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah’s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.

What if a Christian woman’s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.—Compare Romans 14:4.

Voting in political elections. True Christians respect the right of others to vote. They do not campaign against elections, and they cooperate with elected authorities. However, they remain resolutely neutral with regard to the political affairs of the nations. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) What should a Christian do in lands where voting is compulsory or in a situation where feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth? Remembering that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went as far as the plain of Dura, a Christian, under similar circumstances, may decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits. However, he will take care not to violate his neutrality. He should take into account the following six principles:

1. Jesus’ followers are “no part of the world.”—John 15:19.
2. Christians represent Christ and his Kingdom.—John 18:36; 2 Corinthians 5:20.
3. The Christian congregation is united in belief, and its members are bound together by Christlike love.—1 Corinthians 1:10; Colossians 3:14.
4. Those who elect a certain official share responsibility for what he does.—Note the principles behind the words recorded at 1 Samuel 8:5, 10-18 and 1 Timothy 5:22.
5. Jehovah viewed Israel’s desire for a visible ruler as a sign that they had rejected Him.—1 Samuel 8:7.
6. Christians must have freeness of speech when speaking to people of all political persuasions about God’s Kingdom government.—Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20; Hebrews 10:35.

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008085#h=7

Since we can " decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits" - this would allow is to be registered as non-affiliated - IMO. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....