JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What time is it?

I am intrigued by the response received on this forum from all over the world.

As I type this it is  Friday, 2:25 PM, or 24:25 my time.

What is your time when you reply?

I know Stormswift is on right now,  Stormswift can you reply with your day and time. I think that is tomorrow, correct?

So forum members what is time is it?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Right now, while I am responding to this it is 5:35 PM on Fri, Jan. 15, 2016

However, even though you said you posted at 2:25 PM it says on my computer that your post was at 5:26 - and that is about right for my time zone

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My boo boo on the 24:25, Thanks Brother Adelin. Time to get some shut eye isn't it? Strange to get a message from tomorrow, kind of like Doctor Who.

Hope I find this interesting allowing for a little delay, I would think your time would have matched mine plus maybe a minute. Brother John clocked me in at 2:26 PM PST, or 5:26 PM EST. Is your provider slowing your internet?

Still waiting to hear from some far away places.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

What intrigues me is at memorial time our friends are in some cases having it the Dayton before or in the middle of our night the day of our memorial ....... But when you travel abroad and return the same day that's amazing too.

I have the world clock on my update so have added some of our friends and relatives . For instance it's approx 2 pm Saturday afternoon in NZ

And just think, even though it is tomorrow in some places and yesterday in others, to most of us it is just today.

What we know as where these meet is the International Date Line

The International Date Line (IDL) is an imaginary line of navigation on the surface of the Earth that runs from the north pole to the south pole and demarcates the change of one calendar day to the next. It passes through the middle of the Pacific Ocean, roughly following the 180° line of longitude but deviating to pass around some territories and island groups.

And that "imaginary line is 180 degrees from another imaginary line

A prime meridian is a meridian (a line of longitude) in a geographical coordinate system at which longitude is defined to be 0°. Together, a prime meridian and its antimeridian (the 180th meridian in a 360°-system) form a great circle. This great circle divides the sphere, e.g., the Earth, into two hemispheres. If one uses directions of East and West from a defined prime meridian, then they can be called Eastern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere.

A prime meridian is ultimately arbitrary, unlike an equator, which is determined by the axis of rotation—and various conventions have been used or advocated in different regions and throughout history

The only reason that Greenwich, England is the Prime Meridian (0 longitude) is because some man said it was. Then, by default/definition, the "antimeridian" is 180 degrees away - and, since Greenwich is 0 offset for the time zones, then, again, by default, 180 degrees is the International Date Line (IDL).

Now, if some man had decreed a point in Italy or the US or even where the IDL is was the 0 point, the IDL would be in a different place.

Wrap your mind around it .... if the 0 meridian were where the IDL now is, then part of England would be today while another part would be tomorrow/yesterday - and that could actually be the other side of the street :eek:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Whenever we read a post on one of the forums here, the time listed above it is local time for each one of us. In other words, it's adjusted to whatever time zone we are in. I am in the Eastern time zone and it is 8:34 PM here now. However, Jerry is in the Pacific time zone, a three hour difference. Therefore when he reads this post it will say 5:34 PM.

I've never heard of 24:00. I thought midnight was 00:00.

And just think, even though it is tomorrow in some places and yesterday in others, to most of us it is just today.

What we know as where these meet is the International Date Line

And that "imaginary line is 180 degrees from another imaginary line

The only reason that Greenwich, England is the Prime Meridian (0 longitude) is because some man said it was. Then, by default/definition, the "antimeridian" is 180 degrees away - and, since Greenwich is 0 offset for the time zones, then, again, by default, 180 degrees is the International Date Line (IDL).

Now, if some man had decreed a point in Italy or the US or even where the IDL is was the 0 point, the IDL would be in a different place.

Wrap your mind around it .... if the 0 meridian were where the IDL now is, then part of England would be today while another part would be tomorrow/yesterday - and that could actually be the other side of the street :eek:

And that 00 azimuth has moved so we are few inches (feet?) from where we thought we wear.

I use to get a kick out taking noon shots with a sextant. Couldn't hit it location closer than a mile or so.

Doesn't make much difference out on the ocean

It takes two people to get it accurate one with a chronometer, one with the sextant.

Previously we talked about a decimal system. Earth navigation is still in degrees, though minutes and seconds can be substituted for a decimal value of degrees.  Navigation will probably always depend as 360 degrees which is a companion to value we place on hours and seconds.

Finally got to take an off shore voyage and my GPS was accurate to 30 feet or so.

Sold the sextant for 5 dollars at a garage sale. :(

Smart Turtle 

Whenever we read a post on one of the forums here, the time listed above it is local time for each one of us. In other words, it's adjusted to whatever time zone we are in. I am in the Eastern time zone and it is 8:34 PM here now. However, Jerry is in the Pacific time zone, a three hour difference. Therefore when he reads this post it will say 5:34 PM.

Exactly why I started this topic, to see the difference in the time when we participate on JWTalk. 

So Jehovah has a exact day and time of his day somehow I've confused myself is it the day and time wherever hits first? I'm also thinking if we have a new calendar or something that maybe Jehovah has already been using it and will be universal then when exactly that day and time was once we are in new world.

But right now my mind is boggled.

When Luezette wrote her note it was 8:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2016 in NY but I received it at 4:42 PM in Fairbanks, AK. When we celebrate the Memorial, we are one of the very last ones in the US to do that because we are so close to IDL which makes tomorrow just a little further west!  Another different thing is we may have to have Memorial at 9 PM because if the date is late in the year,say in April, the sun does not go down until 9:30 PM  or later. By the time the longest day comes on June 21 st, the sun only goes slightly below the horizon and right back up so it is bright daylight all night. The way things progress around the earth is so interesting. It has always intrigued me to think that we are hurtling thru space so fast that we make it all the way around the sun in 365 days but the earth itself is turning a complete turn every 24 hours and all the while it is tipping back and forth to make our days long or short and set the seasons. How could this all just evolved.  :eek:  :nope:  All praise goes to our great creator. He has it figured out.

So Jehovah has a exact day and time of his day somehow I've confused myself is it the day and time wherever hits first? I'm also thinking if we have a new calendar or something that maybe Jehovah has already been using it and will be universal then when exactly that day and time was once we are in new world.

But right now my mind is boggled.

And that brings to mind, Jehovah has set a 'day'. His day is as a thousand years........hmmmm