JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2681 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

15 hours ago, Hope said:

I know a brother personally who has been on a mad vendetta against Ministry Ideaz and any other place where "people are making money off the friends!" :angry::uhhuh:  He has ranted about it on Facebook, blocked anyone trying to reason with him (including me) and written to the company enough where his correspondence to them is blocked.  There are people whose conscience ping them about all sorts of things.  I just leave them be.... unless they want to start in my face or something.

The first time  I visited their site, I just as quickly, shook my head, and departed. Are the people running that dog and pony show,  Witnesses?

we have regular pioneers who buy theocratic planner, etc. beside bethel, they mark up at the prices to support theirselves... I think its the same case if someone produces without copying the logo to earn because its the right who made it, as juliansan said... atleast effort it... 

so, they are witnesses and needgreaters http://support.ministryideaz.com/customer/portal/articles/1700960-about-us

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

7 hours ago, MizPeg said:

The first time  I visited their site, I just as quickly, shook my head, and departed. Are the people running that dog and pony show,  Witnesses?

Funny, I didn't see any dogs or ponies,  just some of my Spiritual family trying to survive in this wicked system,  and hopefully provide some useful items for their Brothers and Sisters in the process.

I have helped to support them, and I will again sometime. ..

13 hours ago, bohemian said:

I do this too, and although it has not yet stimulated interest from the public, it has identified me to other brothers and sisters (especially abroad) and has led to new friendships.  A Brother selling food in a market in France  saw my badge and came from his stall to hug me saying "Mon frere"!

Once when my wife and I were going to visit a friend in Lyon, France, the badge led to a sister talking to us at the bus station. She was going to the same bus stop as we were and was able to direct us to the brother's apartment.

We both have a badge attached to our iPad bags.

Wonderful experience Brother Christopher!  You, and many of us, would have received  similar reactions whether in a shopping area, on public transport or the like.  Think about this:  we as Jehovah's people LOVE meeting others who serve the same God as we do, especially when we are in a different city, country, or continent for that matter.  As Jesus had taught us;  love is the identifying mark of a true Christian.  Your experience has only embolden me to hold on to my jw logo button  whenever I travel because we are bound to smile, meet and greet with someone who worships the living and true God as we do!

Thank you for sharing,

3 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Wonderful experience Brother Christopher!  You, and many of us, would have received  similar reactions whether in a shopping area, on public transport or the like.  Think about this:  we as Jehovah's people LOVE meeting others who serve the same God as we do, especially when we are in a different city, country, or continent for that matter.  As Jesus had taught us;  love is the identifying mark of a true Christian.  Your experience has only embolden me to hold on to my jw logo button  whenever I travel because we are bound to smile, meet and greet with someone who worships the living and true God as we do!

Thank you for sharing,

A good friend of mine,  an Elder in Iowa, loves to tell the story of his experience in Hawaii,  at an International Assembly.  He and his wife Lynn were out sightseeing after the days session,  came upon a Japanese couple doing the same. They were all wearing their convention badges so there was an immediate recognition and rapport between them.  They wound up going to dinner together and then meeting up the next day. They wound up spending almost all of their free time with this other couple,  even tho neither couple could speak the others language,  even a little.  Tom still recalls that time with a gleam and a smile, tho its been many years.  He said there was much sadness when they last saw each other at the airport. He is really looking forward to renewing their friendship,  in the not too distant future. ..

On 10 de junio de 2016 at 7:50 AM, MizPeg said:

Was there something you saw on the website that made you shake your head?

The topic of doing business with our brothers has been commented on many times. Here is a quote from the July 2000 KM and I highlighted a few thoughts that one may want to consider.

*** km 7/00 p. 1 “Let All Things Take Place for Upbuilding” ***

1 In dealing with our brothers, we should do what is good for their upbuilding. This means being concerned about protecting their spiritual interests. If we engage in some type of secular work that involves promoting a product or service, we need to be careful that nothing we do will stumble our brothers.—2 Cor. 6:3; Phil. 1:9, 10.
2 Some have become involved in various business ventures, targeting fellow Christians as potential customers. Certain sales organizations encourage their representatives to view everyone as a potential customer—including those who belong to the same religion as they do. Some brothers have organized large gatherings of Witnesses for the purpose of encouraging them to become involved in a business enterprise. Others promote their venture by directing unsolicited articles, brochures, information on the Internet, or tapes to fellow believers. Would it be proper for a Christian to use his theocratic contacts to take advantage of his spiritual brothers? No!—1 Cor. 10:23, 24, 31-33.
3 Brothers Should Beware: This does not mean that a Christian cannot do business with a brother. That is a personal matter. However, some initiate business schemes that encourage greed, and they prompt fellow believers to become their partners or investors. Many of these ventures fail, costing participants huge sums of money. Although those who joined in the enterprise may have been motivated by a desire to make quick money, the organizer should not feel that he is free from blame if the undertaking fails. He should carefully consider in advance how the spiritual and physical well-being of his brothers would be affected in the event that the venture does not succeed. Those holding positions of theocratic responsibility should be especially cautious about their secular endeavors because others may look to them with respect and place considerable trust in them. It would be wrong to abuse that trust. Privileges of sacred service may be forfeited if a brother loses the respect of others.
4 Our goal should be to “let all things take place for upbuilding.” (1 Cor. 14:26) We must avoid doing anything that introduces commercial activities into the congregation or promotes them. Such things have nothing to do with our Scriptural reasons for assembling together.

This is a very sensitive subject. If you offer a product or service that you know is beneficial and liked by others in the congregation, do you then make it available to this very targeted audience for a profit to cover your costs? Will this present a risk to others in the congregation who have a weak conscience? Will this enhance your relationship with Jehovah because you are doing all things for his glory.

One can see that some may not want to go down this path of offering products that are solely targeting Congregation members, because they may ask themselves "If in doubt, then I rather do without".

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

Those articles were aimed mainly at those involved in multi-level pyramid type businesses although one could apply the principal to selling goods that witnesses use

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

Those articles were aimed mainly at those involved in multi-level pyramid type businesses although one could apply the principal to selling goods that witnesses use

If you think that the articles aim was to warn brothers for getting involved in multi-level pyramid schemes, you missed the purpose of the article. It addresses avoiding commercial activities within the congregation and using theocratic contacts for business purposes, which includes but is not limited to  multi-level pyramid schemes.

No effort = No bananas

GM!

I went to the 2014 international convention with a broken foot.  I was sad I couldn't walk aound the arena so I did the next best thing: I hobbled on my crutches to stand at the gate's entrance.  I had my souvenirs in hand (from Madzay) and I passed out bookmarks to all who stopped to greet and meet me. Received much in return with the jw logo emblazoned on the souvenirs.  I was grateful for that opportunity.

On 10 June 2016 at 1:50 PM, MizPeg said:

They are witnesses, I think need greaters based in Equador. Not really sure what your problem with them is? 

Yes, they are targeting  witnesses, but without them and the similar ones that have popped up, we wouldn't be able to get the folders that are perfectly designed for our literature. I'm grateful to them. The money they make enables them to stay in their assignment. 

being honest, there is this one who lead our assembly last talk one time... others barely dont knew him even asked if he is somehow other gender because of his encouraging and great impact... 

never seen that talk in our culture, when I said to one whom I am with that he is very encouraging even brag where he came and appear, she was like not listening and ask, is he a witness? 

very funny and an important reminder not to be prideful about others and let whom we talk to notice it... 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Anyone in the business of making and distributing Witness paraphernalia is in a very precarious situation since we are shifting to the electronic media and ways of witnessing. All the businesses engaged in the creation on sales of these products will go the way of the horse buggy whip and the whale oil lamp.

In my home my study is slowly but steady becoming like a museum with glass enclosed Witness memorabilia and paraphernalia, like my pilot case on wheels filled with leather bound custom meeting and ministry items purchased from a slew of businesses including stoops, ministry ideaz and others, which I haven't used in years. These days I go in field service with a tablet, tracts, business cards and a BH book, it buys me an extra 30 seconds as the householder or by-passer tries to figure out what I am therefore. At the meeting the minority now uses paper items as we teach the older ones how to use their electronic devices. What a blessing an item the size of a KM or WT folder having the entire JW library items. Finally Bill Gates' promise "Information at your fingertips".

In every election year in the US I change to a 10 year old leather folder containing paper items as individuals assume I am a pollster during the election year. An absolutely excellent way to introduce to people an alternative to a dysfunctional human government.

Which just leaves one item relevant to the thread's topic, JW jewelry such as the variations of the JW.ORG badge.

Edited by More4me2do

No effort = No bananas

3 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Yes, they are targeting  witnesses, but without them and the similar ones that have popped up, we wouldn't be able to get the folders that are perfectly designed for our literature. I'm grateful to them. The money they make enables them to stay in their assignment. 

I went to that website to register after I had heard about it previously.  Needgreaters need to make a living also while supporting their ministry.  One needgreater I noticed is a travel agent.  That in itself gives me ideas the next time I need to "get away"! 

1 hour ago, More4me2do said:

Anyone in the business of making and distributing Witness paraphernalia is in a very precarious situation since we are shifting to the electronic media and ways of witnessing. All the businesses engaged in the creation on sales of these products will go the way of the horse buggy whip and the whale oil lamp.

This is very true. I found a yearbook sized plastic cover kicking around the other day, I can't see me ever needing that now. Plus a pain if the tracts ever change size again!

I use the clear tract and magazine organisers for ministry though. Otherwise everything gets screwed up in my bag. 

Samsung Tablet with the cover holding the Regional Convention invitation and the JW App set to play the two trailers, job done while only carrying around a 5.5"/14cm by 8.5"/22cm item that contains the whole JW material.

No effort = No bananas

1 hour ago, More4me2do said:

Perhaps that is why there have been some who started creating various apps that are being widely used for a variety of Theocratic activities.

I tend to go door-to-door with my Samsung Tab S in a pleather holder with the current magazines, tracts or invites inside the folded cover. Works quite well.

I also carry a small bluetooth speaker in my pocket for areas where the tablet speaker is not loud enough.

I use a very well made plastic magazine/tract/invitation/biz card holder that I purchased from Ministry Ideaz.  It's perfect for the ministry; don't really need a book bag anymore.  My tablet fits in the section I keep the magazines in and the top zips.  But until we stop placing actual literature, having something to keep them neat and dry will still be something there will be a JW market for, I think.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I use a very well made plastic magazine/tract/invitation/biz card holder that I purchased from Ministry Ideaz.  It's perfect for the ministry; don't really need a book bag anymore.  My tablet fits in the section I keep the magazines in and the top zips.  But until we stop placing actual literature, having something to keep them neat and dry will still be something there will be a JW market for, I think.

link please?

1 hour ago, timpin said:

link please?

Here's a link to the entire page of goodies, but what I described is the Campaign Pouch.  It looks like they redesigned it a little - the space for mags is bigger (good) but no zipper (not as good).  But you see the concept.  I'd still buy it if I didn't have the one I have already: 

http://www.ministryideaz.com/jehovah-witness-service-supplies-s/1844.htm

Well in the end I decided to design my own stickers completely different from the society logo and put them on my conventions gifts.  "Problem" solved.   Interesting and informative reading the thread though - thanks all  .... :)

Edited by sunshine

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)