JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2682 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

While from the proceeding comments the circumstances in which the Logo

would be used would be based on personal conscience or respect for the or-

ganization. However in talking with and elder who has been one for many

years and I respect as having much insight, he said he feared this Logo

could easily go the way of our old cross and crown pins so popular back

in the 1920s. And as I see many of the ways it is coming to be used, I must

say I am inclined to agree with him. At least that's my opinion.

GStorrs46

18 hours ago, GStorrs46 said:

While from the proceeding comments the circumstances in which the Logo

would be used would be based on personal conscience or respect for the or-

ganization. However in talking with and elder who has been one for many

years and I respect as having much insight, he said he feared this Logo

could easily go the way of our old cross and crown pins so popular back

in the 1920s. And as I see many of the ways it is coming to be used, I must

say I am inclined to agree with him. At least that's my opinion.

GStorrs46

I would have a suggestion to allay the brother's fears: either he or you could ask the branch what they think of these buttons. Or, better yet, why doesn't he write the Service Committee of the Governing Body, to ask if they approve or disapprove of their use? Then there will be a ruling that will apply to all Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide.

1 hour ago, Daniel Metz said:

I would have a suggestion to allay the brother's fears: either he or you could ask the branch what they think of these buttons. Or, better yet, why doesn't he write the Service Committee of the Governing Body, to ask if they approve or disapprove of their use? Then there will be a ruling that will apply to all Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide.

Is that how the Governing Body does things?  Are there any other rulings anyone can think of that the Governing Body has made on subjects that are not directly outlined in the scriptures?  

The Isrealites had flags to identify the tribes. The badge identifys us. I personally dont have a problem with it. Its not worshiped and its not pagan.

I dont have one btw. But I dont object to others wearing them. And unless tge GB says otherwise, I would wear one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

On 26/06/2016 at 5:53 AM, Shawnster said:

Is that how the Governing Body does things?  Are there any other rulings anyone can think of that the Governing Body has made on subjects that are not directly outlined in the scriptures?  

That is a good question, Shawnster. I can think of a few. Can anyone else?

For example:

*** w81 7/1 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***
Questions From Readers
● Can a dedicated and baptized Christian take up professional boxing and still remain in good standing with his congregation?

Therefore, such a person should be given a reasonable period of time to discontinue his unchristian profession or occupation. His failure to do so would mean that the elders would have no alternative but to exclude him from the congregation.—1 Cor. 5:11-13.

2 hours ago, Daniel Metz said:

For example:

Questions From Readers
● Can a dedicated and baptized Christian take up professional boxing and still remain in good standing with his congregation?

Therefore, such a person should be given a reasonable period of time to discontinue his unchristian profession or occupation. His failure to do so would mean that the elders would have no alternative but to exclude him from the congregation.—1 Cor. 5:11-13.

No haymakers?

You hear that Mandi and Ross?

:):popcorn:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Stormswift said:

Pardon?

Just a play on words.

You and Ross mentioned making hay, DanielMetz mentioned boxing, a haymaker is a punch...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Just a play on words.

You and Ross mentioned making hay, DanielMetz mentioned boxing, a haymaker is a punch...

Smiles ... I was making out i was hard of hearing on purpose. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 hours ago, Daniel Metz said:

For example:

Questions From Readers

This Watchtower reference is full of scriptural support on the subject.  This is not a:

On 6/25/2016 at 5:53 PM, Shawnster said:

Or are you saying that a prohibition against boxing is not clearly outlined in the scriptures?

32 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

This Watchtower reference is full of scriptural support on the subject.  This is not a:

Or are you saying that a prohibition against boxing is not clearly outlined in the scriptures?

I too am trying to figure brother Daniels point. I think there are more scriptures applying to blood sports than there are to the use of tobacco.

Questions From Readers

A few scriptures missing in the original quote:

(Galatians 5:22, 23) 22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

(Romans 12:18) . . .If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.

(2 Timothy 2:24) 24 For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged,

(James 3:18) . . .Moreover, the fruit of righteousness is sown in peaceful conditions for those who are making peace.

(Romans 13:9, 10) . . .For the law code, “You must not commit adultery, you must not murder, you must not steal, you must not covet,” and whatever other commandment there is, is summed up in this saying: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor; therefore, love is the law’s fulfillment.

I find the response in Questions From Readers interesting as direct application is made only to"professional boxing".

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

That's what happens when you get a haymaker in the ear...

A cauliflower ear--

Very witty ... the haymaker comment isn't unfamiliar to me as my dad used to belong to a boxing club, but didn't know what it meant. Thanks to you and your brother you have made me smile - yet again. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Dear Brothers, please don't read into my comments things I don't believe. I am sorry if I didn't express myself well. Language, especially in written form as here, can be understood more than one way. Let me try again. 

This whole subject is about JW.org badges and whether Jehovah's Witnesses should use them or not. Obviously, they are a local initiative. They are not produced by the Watchtower Society. The faithful slave has not told us to wear them or not to wear them. Someone had the idea to make some and use them to advertise www.jw.org, in harmony with the faithful slave's clear directive to make our website known at every opportunity in service, and by ordering all congregations in the world to put the JW.ORG logo on all Kingdom Halls. We even had a picture of a new Hall being built in Belgium with the logo being put on the outside wall in a recent study edition.

It is obvious to me that the faithful slave wants the public to recognize this logo so that they will remember the address of our website. Why? So that, if and when they become conscious of their spiritual need, they will remember us, the people who make such an effort to start Bible studies with them, using our literature for years and now using our tablets and our video about "Why Study the Bible?", and then use their computer to access our official website, whose address they have seen many, many times.

Does the Governing Body know that these buttons have been produced and are being worn? I don't know, but I kind of suspect that they already do. Even if these brothers don't personally have Facebook accounts, I am quite certain that other Bethelites in the world do. I have seen them on Facebook and I am sure all of us have seen them. I thought that they were an excellent way of showing how proud we are of our website. Others are proud of their cause, their political candidate, etc., whatever they feel deeply about. Why shouldn't Jehovah's Witnesses be proud about our fantastic website? Why should the public only see our JW.ORG logo (which is officially encouraged by the Governing Body) only on our Kingdom Halls and in all of our literature. Shouldn't they see them also on persons who are proud to say that they are Jehovah's Witnesses, who are not ashamed of who we are, who are proud of our website, who are proud of the Person who we believe has guided our Governing Body though his spirit to use internet technology to reach all people on earth, in their mother tongues, to his praise.

Honestly, brothers and sisters, I am a little surprised that there is any doubt that the Governing Body already approves of the use of these buttons. No, the Society has not committed to use dedicated funds to produce them. They have left the expense to the brother who had the initiative to pay for the making of that first JW.ORG button, and to any other brothers who want to produce them for themselves, if their hearts are moved to do the same thing to glorify our wonderful God.

If the Governing Body thought that this kind of advertising of JW.ORG was not dignified or appropriate, wouldn't we have all received a letter about this to be read in all congregations? More importantly, if Jehovah was not pleased with the use of these buttons, does any of us really believe that he would not put a stop to their use, using his holy spirit to guide the faithful slave?

All of this just came to me now. I didn't think of it when I made my first comment. I just saw that one elder thought that these buttons "would go the way of the cross and crown pins". But there is a difference between those cross and crown pins and the JW.ORG badges. Do you see what it is?

All I said was that to put the dear elder at ease, the other brother who knows him could encourage him to write the Governing Body to ask if it was appropriate or not to use them. Then the Governing Body could look into them, meet as a body, as for Jehovah's spirit, as they always do before their meetings, and Jehovah would guide them to make a decision for the worldwide brotherhood on whether they should be used to advertise JW.ORG or not. There would be no need to worry about this whole question. I think however that the Governing Body already knows about these buttons and approve of their use. Silence in this case means approval. That is my opinion and maybe not yours. Maybe you believe that every initiative of brothers needs to be approved by the branch and is forbidden until then. Maybe we were like that in the past. But I honestly think Jehovah's chariot has recently moved to a new position: the faithful slave shows us what is to be done and then allows us to think of new ways to do it, using the creativity of the worldwide brotherhood to find even better ways of advertising the Kingdom than those invented at the US branch, where they work and live.

Dear brother Daniel,

A well thought out post, but my opinion is that silence is not always a sign of approval, it could also be a sign of "It's not important enough for us to worry about until it crosses the line" - and in MY opinion it crosses the line when copyrighted material is used to generate an income/profit for individuals which circumvents the whole purpose of the copyright. 

Whatever we do or use in our ministry or in how we publicise Jehovah and his organization should always be done thoughtfully, tastefully and direct any attention back to Jehovah and jw.org  not to individuals so as long as it is doing that, the F&D slave will probably stay silent, but doesn't mean they approve of everything they see.

And yes, there's a huge different between the cross and crown pins and the jw.org pins ... one obvious is jw.org isn't bearing a symbol from BBTG and second the jw.org is directing people to an avenue that is instrumental in giving life giving waters in a timely fashion which contributes in a big way to the biggest preaching campaign that has ever taken place. 

That being said ... We as an organization and as individual because and all the moreso that we are on the public stage, have to adhere to legalalities ie: Copyright law. I can see if F&D openly APPROVE jw.org badges we are opening up others who are against Jehovah do create badges with a negative influence using jw.org.

Edited by Stormswift

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)