JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2681 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2016 at 5:07 PM, Hope said:

I know a brother personally who has been on a mad vendetta against Ministry Ideaz and any other place where "people are making money off the friends!" :angry::uhhuh:  He has ranted about it on Facebook, blocked anyone trying to reason with him (including me) and written to the company enough where his correspondence to them is blocked.  There are people whose conscience ping them about all sorts of things.  I just leave them be.... unless they want to start in my face or something.

Ministry Ideaz  owners are pioneers and this business helps them to do that! Just thought I'd add that.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"

I'm seeing a lot of mention of "copyright" in this thread. Brothers, just a heads up, but...

The JW.org logo is not copyrighted! You cannot copyright names, titles, slogans or short phrases. This includes logos. 

Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#title

That's right. There is a big difference between copyrights and trademarks. Logos are typically trademarked, not copyrighted. The only rare possibility to copyright a logo is if it's sufficiently unique and artistic (and the JW.org logo has already been deemed to not be unique and artistic enough even for a trademark, in fact the original application for the JW.org logo through the US Patent and Trademark office was denied for that very reason [US Serial Registration Number: 85896124], though upon revision it was eventually approved for trademark which is still not the same as a copyright). Even then there is no legal basis for preventing someone from wearing/using/promoting a logo unless they're trying to falsely use the logo to act as a representative or agent of the business/organization the logo belongs to.

For a very basic example....Think of Nike shoes. Or Nike branded shirts. 

cop·y·right
ˈkäpēˌrīt/
noun

1. 1.
    the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.

trade·mark
ˈtrādˌmärk/
noun

1. 1.
    a symbol, word, or words legally registered or established by use as representing a company or product.
    synonyms: logo, brand, emblem, sign, mark, stamp, symbol, badge, crest, monogram, colophon;More

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Edited by jschaffer

• 5 months later...

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)