JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global warming is bogus huh? Check this out.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2718 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

55 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

The cow flatulence and belching is a real problem.

And why are they are real problem? Because of consuming too much beef. Way too many herds of cattle to feed our penchant for hamburgers and meat based meals. The poor beasts, like all agricultural animals, are treated like product on an assembly line to be manufactured and marketed just like any other consumer product. Same goes for dairy cattle. 

Again, when things were more balanced in times past, meals included more than just daily platters of meat. People were essentially healthier as they ate a more varied diet of vegetables, pulses and grains instead of meat all the time. And now more Asians are abandoning their traditional cuisines based on vegetables and are eating more meat, and their large population demanding more meat will only add to the problem.

4 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

People were essentially healthier as they ate a more varied diet of vegetables, pulses and grains

Isn't that what the flatulence cows are eating?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My husband worked at the meatworks here ... this would be fifteen years ago (so I hope things have changed although I doubt it) but he was asked to render down some beef carcasses that had TB and abcesses, he asked what were they going to do with it and they said they are to be rendered down for cattlefeed up North. Now, I do realise that the process of rendering involves high temperatures which they claimed kills the TB , but apart from feeding meat to herbivores, something doesn't sit right at all about this process. If they are doing that in NZ what are they doing in other places. Tom left the company soon after that.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Made me remember the 'mad cow'   situation from a few years ago. Diseased animals are always utilized as a money saving option to increase the protein ratio of  animal feed. And yes, dog and cat foods.

Edited by MizPeg

spelling. wacky spell checker

Just to throw a wrench into the discussion. I don't dispute global warming. I also don't dispute mankind ruining the earth. However global warming cannot be conclusively tied to humans.

Explain how tropical plants have been found underneath the deep sheet ice on land in the arctic. Was man overheating the earth thousands of years ago pre-industrialization?

For all we know this is merely another cycle in earth's climate system.

Fact: Global Warming is being politicized for political gain.

Fact: No matter what so-called experts (who always have a bias) claim, global warming has not been conclusively tied to human activity. Even though experts say it has been, remember that these are the same folks that beat their chests proclaiming evolution is a fact, when it too has not been conclusively proven. These scientists funding is directly related to bias and manipulating the data one way or another. In fact their has been a lot of uproar lately in scientific circles because recently experts have been showing how easy it is to manipulate the data to get funding for studies and research. Even the experts are getting tired of it.

Take it all with a grain of salt. The only for sure thing is that we know the season we're in, and we know only Jehovah will make everything right, whatever the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jschaffer said:

Fact: No matter what so-called experts (who always have a bias) claim, global warming has not been conclusively tied to human activity. Even though experts say it has been, remember that these are the same folks that beat their chests proclaiming evolution is a fact, when it too has not been conclusively proven

To me, I've drawn my own conclusions after seeing what scientists have shown as their evidence - that we as a species have had a soon to be irreversible impact on our planet's environment and the atmosphere.  It doesn't follow that this scientific evidence is negated because scientists generally believe in evolution.  Scientist do actually produce some valuable evidence to explain things as we live on this planet that Jehovah created.  And of course, yes, everything is politicised and has it's own bias due to satan's agenda in running this system.  Anyone is free to form their own opinions on what science throws up, preferably after taking into consideration their evidence and considering how it fits into what we already know about how Jehovah wants us to live.  As an example in the field of medicine - great scientific discoveries, but we must learn what is best for us and what does not violate Jehovah's requirements. 

Just now, hatcheckgirl said:

To me, I've drawn my own conclusions after seeing what scientists have shown as their evidence - that we as a species have had a soon to be irreversible impact on our planet's environment and the atmosphere.  It doesn't follow that this scientific evidence is negated because scientists generally believe in evolution.  Scientist do actually produce some valuable evidence to explain things as we live on this planet that Jehovah created.  And of course, yes, everything is politicised and has it's own bias due to satan's agenda in running this system.  Anyone is free to form their own opinions on what science throws up, preferably after taking into consideration their evidence and considering how it fits into what we already know about how Jehovah wants us to live.  As an example in the field of medicine - great scientific discoveries, but we must learn what is best for us and what does not violate Jehovah's requirements. 

I remember David, doing immorality and also Saul. Saul didn't adhere the law or provision Jehovah gave to himself, he was replaced by David later on.

1 hour ago, jschaffer said:

Fact: Global Warming is being politicized for political gain.

Fact: No matter what so-called experts (who always have a bias) claim, global warming has not been conclusively tied to human activity. Even though experts say it has been, remember that these are the same folks that beat their chests proclaiming evolution is a fact, when it too has not been conclusively proven. These scientists funding is directly related to bias and manipulating the data one way or another. In fact their has been a lot of uproar lately in scientific circles because recently experts have been showing how easy it is to manipulate the data to get funding for studies and research. Even the experts are getting tired of it.

Take it all with a grain of salt. The only for sure thing is that we know the season we're in, and we know only Jehovah will make everything right, whatever the issue.

FACT based on: Ecclesiastes 8:9 - All of this I have seen, and I applied my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, during the time that man has dominated man to his harm.

:)  

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

The majority just sticks their head in the sand and keeps demanding their steak.

They don't respect their bodies or this beautiful planet enough to care.

Without the kingdom stepping in soon, humans would completely ruin this planet!

Jehovah and Jesus must be disgusted and extremely sad to see what humans are doing to themselves, animals, and Earth. 

13 hours ago, Stormswift said:

My husband worked at the meatworks here ... this would be fifteen years ago (so I hope things have changed although I doubt it) but he was asked to render down some beef carcasses that had TB and abcesses, he asked what were they going to do with it and they said they are to be rendered down for cattlefeed up North. Now, I do realise that the process of rendering involves high temperatures which they claimed kills the TB , but apart from feeding meat to herbivores, something doesn't sit right at all about this process. If they are doing that in NZ what are they doing in other places. Tom left the company soon after that.

That is literally how pet food is made. They also include roadkill and killed pets from shelters...

Ok. But I would be curious how you reconcile the tropical plants that have been discovered under the ice in the arctic.

It's obvious the Earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling.  The tropical plants under the arctic ice is just one example of a time when the Earth was warmer than now.  Ice ages are an example of time periods when the Earth was colder than now.

Is this latest trend in warming man-made or natural?  It doesn't matter.  Jehovah's Day is coming and that will put an end to any and all talk about man ruining the Earth.  

5 hours ago, blue-jay said:

That is literally how pet food is made. They also include roadkill and killed pets from shelters...

Yes ... i give my cat fresh stuff ... just want this system gone, every aspect of it is rotten.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

It's obvious the Earth has gone through many cycles of warming and cooling.  The tropical plants under the arctic ice is just one example of a time when the Earth was warmer than now.  Ice ages are an example of time periods when the Earth was colder than now.

Is this latest trend in warming man-made or natural?  It doesn't matter.  Jehovah's Day is coming and that will put an end to any and all talk about man ruining the Earth.  

Exactly! This is the point I was trying to make. We don't know for sure either way. We only know for sure that we can rely on Jehovah to make it right.

Edited by jschaffer

Fix punctuation.

21 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And why are they are real problem? Because of consuming too much beef. Way too many herds of cattle to feed our penchant for hamburgers and meat based meals. The poor beasts, like all agricultural animals, are treated like product on an assembly line to be manufactured and marketed just like any other consumer product. Same goes for dairy cattle. 

Again, when things were more balanced in times past, meals included more than just daily platters of meat. People were essentially healthier as they ate a more varied diet of vegetables, pulses and grains instead of meat all the time. And now more Asians are abandoning their traditional cuisines based on vegetables and are eating more meat, and their large population demanding more meat will only add to the problem.

Cow's aren't the only issue.....

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases#methane

18 minutes ago, jschaffer said:

Exactly! This is the point I was trying to make. We don't know for sure either way. We only know for sure that we can rely on Jehovah to make it right.

We've also only been recording temperature fluctuations and climate patterns for about 140 or so years, our last ice age was 21,000 years ago, and ended about 11,500 years ago....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/earth/water_and_ice/ice_age

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Missed a 0.

Other scientists look for evidence in ice core to measure changes in climate through the ages. That  spans a much longer time, and gives us a bigger picture. Links provided earlier in my posts explain this better than I ever can. You don't have to blindly believe what anyone, scientists or others, tell us. But you can form a better opinion of how it all fits in to what's happening now if we don't cherry pick the info that suits. Yes, we most definitely all agree, this world cannot keep going like this, abusing  and exploiting natural resources. Thanks to Jehovah who has this all in hand.

I can see this is a topic which is quite polarizing. I agree that data supplied by any source can be manipulated in a way that best suits the individuals who are using the data to prove their point.  Environmentalists and nay-sayers alike. Not necessarily cherry picking, but a definite bias might exist.  

From my perspective, much of the information has to be vetted in terms of accuracy, transparency and rigorously investigated.  You cannot say x resulted from y, without considering the ramifications of z.  

This is what happened here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC_Fourth_Assessment_Report  (wikipedia isn't my citation of choice, but it conveniently mentions:

"The report is the largest and most detailed summary of the climate change situation ever undertaken, produced by thousands of authors, editors, and reviewers from dozens of countries, citing over 6,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies.

It supersedes the Third Assessment Report (2001), and is superseded by the Fifth Assessment Report.

The headline findings of the report were: "warming of the climate system is unequivocal", and "most of the observed increase in global average temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely due to the observed increase in anthropogenic (human caused) greenhouse gas concentrations.")

Yet criticism's have arisen even after such rigorous discussion, and collaboration.  

Please know, I am not someone who denies climate change.  It's changing, that's for certain, but is it caused solely by man, I'm not certain.  Some things I would definitely say yes, others I'd say, no I believe something else might be happening here.  I do know that there exists both positive and negative feedback loops within climate change and that what we have right now are predictive models that say if x happens, then its likely y, and z will as well.   Predictive models are just that, predictive.  It's like going to your family geneticist and they tell you there's a probability you will suffer from x disease.  It's based on probability, and doesn't mean it will happen for certainty.  

I do also wonder about the fact that the UN is so heavily involved in this as well, it truly is Satan's system, and like yourself I can't wait till this is fixed for good.

6 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Other scientists look for evidence in ice core to measure changes in climate through the ages. That  spans a much longer time, and gives us a bigger picture. Links provided earlier in my posts explain this better than I ever can. You don't have to blindly believe what anyone, scientists or others, tell us. But you can form a better opinion of how it all fits in to what's happening now if we don't cherry pick the info that suits. Yes, we most definitely all agree, this world cannot keep going like this, abusing  and exploiting natural resources. Thanks to Jehovah who has this all in hand.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

59 minutes ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

I do also wonder about the fact that the UN is so heavily involved in this as well, it truly is Satan's system

Especially pertinent.  Everything in the system, the way it has been set up has inherent flaws due to satan being in control.  Everything discussed in this thread, from how we farm our animals to how we mine our minerals has been done in the worst possible way.  Without Jehovah's guidance and direction, man just can't do it.  With satan in control, it is just environmental rape and anarchy.  And if there was no Jehovah, the future of this world is terminal, and soon.  Boy, it is such a relief to know Jehovah!

One of the best and hopeful quotes I have seen in a long time is this:

If you ever wonder what God can do with a dead and dying system, we only have to look to Spring for the answer.  

This though excites me a lot :D to see what he can and will do.   What he might create, how pretty it will be again.  There are places even  now in this system that are so breath taking, I couldn't begin to imagine what more could be done. 

Just a superlative point, Sharon!  Think of what a bushfire regenerates, and volcano slopes after the first vegetation returns not too long after the destruction.  The earth is just wonderfully made and its true nature will be an exquisite delight to learn about under Jehovah's direction.  No more scientists to interpret and skew their findings :).

It will be good to see the springtime of mankind, a whole new life's morning. So called Christians who preach that earth cannot be destroyed and that we can use it of abuse it anyway we want to, these people are slapping Jehovah's face and show no gratitude for the perfect home he once gave us to care for. Mankind is trashing it, but Jehovah will make sure it is corrected once the tenants at fault are evicted. I can't way for that day...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 1 month later...

This is an hour and a half video, but with Leonardo DiCaprio so, nice voice and interesting to see a documentary on this topic, if you have time.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....