JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Global warming is bogus huh? Check this out.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2714 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-climate-trends.html#jCp

This is an article describing climate trends documented by NASA.  The trends in rising temperatures have led to record low arctic sea ice extents this year. 

The global trend in rising temperatures is outpaced by the regional warming in the Arctic. The article says that the Arctic sea ice extents now cover 40% less area than the late 70's-early 80's, and is declining at the rate of 13.4% per decade.

- that is some evidence, hard to ignore -

Other articles show that the methane that is released under the oceans benefit from the ocean-dwelling bacteria which feed on this nutrient-rich greenhouse gas.  The ocean currents and the stratification of the water layers containing the gas also play a part in keeping the methane in the oceans - sort of like a film of oil on water.  But with the oceans warming and currents changing, this is destroying this delicate balance, so undoubtedly more methane reaches the oceans.  Interesting to read.

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-ocean-currents-disturb-methane-eating-bacteria.html#nRlv

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-arctic-ocean-methane-atmosphere.html

I'm not into scientific explanations to give the evidence that it is man made.  I'm fairly convinced this trend has its basis on human interaction with the environment, particularly since the industrial revolution.  Here is the graph from that website above, many more stats available that show the same trend.

2016climatet.png

Data is Data is Data .... at least that is what many think. However, since we live in a time when data is collected on just about any and every subject one can think of, and vast amounts of data it is, we tend to forget that man has not always had these overflowing amounts of data.

In addition to that, since man is finite, he tends to see things in the "short run". Take, for instance, how elections are looked at on voting day in the US. The networks all start early in the day gathering "polling results" (these are often called 'exit polls') They examine the data they collect and "predict" all day long, often taking turns as to who they think is "in the lead" - and the lead may change several times as "new data" is received. In the end, it is not until the election is over that the actual winner can be declared.

So, what is being called "Global Warming" could be just that .... or, then again, it could be a "normal cycle" that extend back further than the data that man currently has at hand - after all, the vast amounts of data that is used to "prove" global warming is fairly recent - they just did not keep that type of data 1,000 or more years ago.

Like the graph above .... I did not know NASA was around to collect data in the 1880's. And why does the graph not show the 1600's - who knows, it may have been just as high in 1616 as it is in 2016.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Google empirical data that shows global warming.  Let's see what we find.

BTW, you can find empirical data from satellites (last few decades), and from analysing air trapped in ice cores before the industrial revolution, as well as measuring energy being trapped in the atmosphere which corresponding exactly to the wavelengths of energy captured by CO2.

While science doesn't have all the answers, it isn't a stretch to say humans have sort of stuffed up our planet in so many ways.  For me, the evidence I have seen from my own research lends pretty convincingly that Rev 11:18 applies.  Whether you agree that humans are causing global warming or not, we do agree that only Jehovah can reverse the damage humans have made to our planet :)

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Google empirical data that shows global warming.  Let's see what we find.

BTW, you can find empirical data from satellites (last few decades), and from analysing air trapped in ice cores before the industrial revolution, as well as measuring energy being trapped in the atmosphere which corresponding exactly to the wavelengths of energy captured by CO2.

While science doesn't have all the answers, it isn't a stretch to say humans have sort of stuffed up our planet in so many ways.  For me, the evidence I have seen from my own research lends pretty convincingly that Rev 11:18 applies.  Whether you agree that humans are causing global warming or not, we do agree that only Jehovah can reverse the damage humans have made to our planet :)

Yes, not just morally, but also physically ruining the earth. The Slave has used that verse in just that context. We see it in the 2008 Awake! August article about this very topic,

"Nearly 2,000 years ago, the Bible accurately foretold that humans would reach the point where they would be "ruining the earth." (Revelation 11:18) Clearly, the world needs both a leader who has the wisdom and power to achieve the desired goals and subjects who will submit to him. Could a sincere and brilliant political leader or scientist fill that role? The Bible answers: "Do not put your trust in nobles, nor in the son of earthling man, to whom no salvation belongs."—Psalm 146:3."

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102008283#h=6

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

11 hours ago, Qapla said:

Like the graph above .... I did not know NASA was around to collect data in the 1880's. And why does the graph not show the 1600's - who knows, it may have been just as high in 1616 as it is in 2016.

No, but the people at NASA are good researchers and they have access to newspapers and data sources from the 1800s.

the CO shard this with me Ps. 46:2  then read Rev. 11:18  

so if   global warming  is happing man is resposable in some way 

after all the bible dose say   "ruining the earth."  

and really so what if it happeds we wher never ment to live in this kind of system and Jeh will fix what ever need to fix

true the earth has a nachol   "global warming"  system  but how do we know that man is not helping it speed up 

we dont

so if man is not responsable for  global warming and not  "ruining the earth." dose that mean the bible is rong or 

miss taken or or is the an a venit that wiil came that would be mans falt that would "ruining the earth.

37 minutes ago, bobby said:

and really so what if it happeds we wher never ment to live in this kind of system and Jeh will fix what ever need to fix

true the earth has a nachol   "global warming"  system  but how do we know that man is not helping it speed up 

we dont

Thank you for that bobby, that is a very good point and fits right in with our message that Gods Kingdom is the only hope for mankind.

Thanks for posting that. ...

Another interesting place to study changes in climate is at the Third Pole, the source of all glaciers that feed into the giant river systems of Asia.

The unfolding water crisis at the Third Pole http://ab.co/2an6WpN - via @abcnews

There scientists are discovering that polution and coal burning are causing the glacier ice to absorb more heat, whereas the white ice deflects. Human polution causing increased melting.

• 1 month later...

Today, another article on when humans started warming the planet.  Data is collected from non-NASA sources, but still come up with the same result.

The researchers used data from climate model simulations and experiments, major volcanic eruptions and, most importantly, natural markers of climate variation found in places like corals, tree rings, and ice cores obtained from glaciers.

They then constructed new simulations of climate and found that instead of being a 20th century phenomenon as previously thought, climate change actually began in the 1830s, precisely coinciding with the historical period when carbon dioxide emissions began increasing due to human activity. 

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/science/earth/article/2016/08/24/groundbreaking-study-pinpoints-exactly-when-humans-started-warming-planet?cx_cid=newsdaily-edm-2016

The full article from Nature journal http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19082.html#videos

• 4 weeks later...

Here is some 'breaking' news about global warming efforts in California...

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/09/20/cow-farts-can-now-be-regulated-in-california.html

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Yes they are trying to bring in  fart tax in New Zealand too ... because of the methane from the cows, yet NZ has enough native bush/trees to counteract the extra methane in the atmosphere. So confuzzling these peoples.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Here is some 'breaking' news about global warming efforts in California...

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/09/20/cow-farts-can-now-be-regulated-in-california.html

Woe is me....that is quintessentially California...trust me...I was born there and lived there...most of my life and

it is so like what goes on in Cali....so many real problems and yet they worry about bovine flatulence.:o

13 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

Woe is me....that is quintessentially California...trust me...I was born there and lived there...most of my life and

it is so like what goes on in Cali....so many real problems and yet they worry about bovine flatulence.:o

I can tell that you moved away, Californian's don't say Cali....

How are things in Monti?

:D

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

it is so like what goes on in Cali....so many real problems and yet they worry about bovine flatulence.default_ohmy.png

The cow flatulence and belching is a real problem.
Agriculture is responsible for an estimated 14 percent of the world's greenhouse gases. A significant portion of these emissions come from methane, which, in terms of its contribution to global warming, is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.
Source: Do cows pollute as much as cars?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”