JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Screenshots from JW Broadcasting music video for October 2015 and Song 151

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2780 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, mserskine said:

The only reason to re number the songs, in my opinion, would be to group them by subject. If I remember correctly, one of the previous songbooks did this. I just received the December study issue and all the songs for the study issues, except for one, again have nothing to do with the subject being discussed.

Edited by Ijones

2 hours ago, Hope said:

And the chorus is never the first line... :P

I am sorry Sr. Uani, I meant that our songs often are titled by the chorus and it is not the first line.  

Song #40 is "Keep on Seeking First the Kingdom" which is the first line of the chorus.  Why should it be #40?  #41 is "Worship Jehovah During Youth"  which is not a verse in the song.  Why is it #41?  How would it be grouped with #40?  For a new one to find the song without a song number (you just remember the catch line ending "days of your youth will be happiest then" how would thy locate that by grouping?  We all use the index or the song number is stated or we just get to know the number by practice.  I don't think any particular numbering system is perfect.  the reason I made my original post was to show 100 years of precedent.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am sorry Sr. Uani, I meant that our songs often are titled by the chorus and it is not the first line.  

Song #40 is "Keep on Seeking First the Kingdom" which is the first line of the chorus.  Why should it be #40?  #41 is "Worship Jehovah During Youth"  which is not a verse in the song.  Why is it #41?  How would it be grouped with #40?  For a new one to find the song without a song number (you just remember the catch line ending "days of your youth will be happiest then" how would thy locate that by grouping?  We all use the index or the song number is stated or we just get to know the number by practice.  I don't think any particular numbering system is perfect.  the reason I made my original post was to show 100 years of precedent.

I think the old way was the best way for the context of those times.. .And in my opinion, if somebody wants to sing a song at lest the first words are known... I don't agree that it's rare to know the first words like Uani said ;) And on those days, with very few having an equipment to play the songs, much less  aportable one, many more had the songs memorized, to sing along anywhere, than we do now

Nowadays,  with all the technology, I agree that the order is irrelevant ... one speculation on why the slave wants to scramble the numbers could be just because we memorize more often the number of the song than the title. I here people talking about liking most the 63 or 111, or that number or that other...

3 hours ago, jayrtom said:

I think the old way was the best way for the context of those times.. .And in my opinion, if somebody wants to sing a song at lest the first words are known... I don't agree that it's rare to know the first words like Uani said ;) And on those days, with very few having an equipment to play the songs, much less  aportable one, many more had the songs memorized, to sing along anywhere, than we do now

Nowadays,  with all the technology, I agree that the order is irrelevant ... one speculation on why the slave wants to scramble the numbers could be just because we memorize more often the number of the song than the title. I here people talking about liking most the 63 or 111, or that number or that other...

Exactly. Almost everyone, for not saying everybody, don't memorize the title of the songs. Only one here, another there... This happens because the publications that we use just have the numbers. However, I think we should memorize the titles instead of the numbers 'cause the titles let the songs more alive, with personality. The elder who to direct the Watchtower in my congregation (I don't know this expression in English) it's starting to just saying the title of the song to assistance. It's funny to see the brothers taking the magazine back to check the number of the song. :lol:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come now powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38,39

I guess I'm just more about numbering the songs alphabetically by title (which yes, is usually comes from the chorus or most recognized phrase).  That's the easiest to remember if you're trying to look up the songs.  After that, perhaps index them by subject.  

That's how secular songbooks are arranged.  And karaoke books (for the most part). :D 

BTW -- it wouldn't be a bad idea to memorize both titles AND numbers.  What a useful way to tell "us from them" in scary times!  Even if we were somewhere where no one spoke our language, if we discovered a password or something was to whistle or hum song 111 - we'd all know how to do it (titles might be too easy for bad guys to know).  I have recognized fellow Witnesses just be hearing someone humming one of our Kingdom Songs over in the next aisle at a shop.  It's fantastic!

Edited by Hope

2 hours ago, Andreaw said:

Access Denied. Why?

It works for me, the problem must be on your end..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On ‎27‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 0:59 PM, Andreaw said:

Access Denied. Why?

On ‎27‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 3:54 PM, Tortuga said:

It works for me, the problem must be on your end..

22 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

Try incognito mode on browser

Sent from my LG Spirit 4G using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Andreaw said:

Now it's ok.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I pressed F5 (refresh) and it worked.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 25, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Jonathan77 said:

This is what we know so far about the song numbers in the new songbook - Current song number in ()

6 The Heavens Declare God's Glory (105)
7 Jehovah, Our Strength (23)
24 Come to Jehovah's Mountain (107)
36 Guard Your Heart (52)
38 He Will Make You Strong (60)
45 The Meditation of My Heart (57)
46 We Thank You, Jehovah (2)
72 Making Known the Kingdom Truth (101)
74 Join in the Kingdom Song! (102)
82 "Let Your Light Shine" (93)
94 Grateful for God's Word (113)
95 The Light Gets Brighter (116)
96 God's Own Book-A Treasure (114)
127 What Sort of Person I Should Be (61)
136 A Full Reward From Jehovah (85)
139 See Yourself When All Is New (134)

How do you know this?

41 minutes ago, Shines said:

How do you know this?

I think he compared the song numbers in some foreign language publications that haven't updated the song numbers yet.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)