JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2748 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"Aaaaargh!"duh.gif  Now, I've got the old "Shulammite Maiden" song stuck in my brain.

Only with some slightly altered lyrics:

"Oh Shulammite Maiden...so lovely and fair...I think of goats when I look at your hair."Music moving notes Band W.gif

"...Your hair is like a flock of goats..."--Song of Solomon 4:1

^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

"Aaaaargh!"duh.gif  Now, I've got the old "Shulammite Maiden" song stuck in my brain.
Only with some slightly altered lyrics:
"Oh Shulammite Maiden...so lovely and fair...I think of goats when I look at your hair."Music moving notes Band W.gif
"...Your hair is like a flock of goats..."--Song of Solomon 4:1

Can't stop laughing

it's interesting, i don't recall any other illustrations with the woman with a face veil...

Her veil is mentioned in 4:1, 3, and it seems to be a face veil. It's something called a tzammah. It's interesting that kjv translates it as 'locks' of hair.

This is what Andrew Fausset's Bible Dictionary says on this subject:

Tzammah, translated "locks" (Song of Solomon 4:1; Song of Solomon 4:3), the bride's veil, a mark of modesty and subjection to her lord. Isaiah 47:2, "take off thy veil," or "thy locks," nature's covering for a woman (1 Corinthians 11:15), a badge of female degradation. Anciently the veil was only exceptionally used for ornament or by women betrothed in meeting their future husbands, and at weddings (Genesis 24:65).

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

In Genesis the Hebrew word Tsaiyph  is also rendered veil.  

*** it-1 p. 654 Dress ***
[Headdress] is different from the face veil, or covering, worn by Moses when his face shone so that the Israelites could not look upon it. (Ex 34:33-35; 2Co 3:13) Rebekah put on a headcloth when meeting Isaac, her espoused, to denote her subjection. (Ge 24:65) The Hebrew word tsa·ʽiphʹ, used here, is translated “shawl” (NW) and “veil” (AT, RS) at Genesis 38:14, 19.

*** it-1 p. 1053 Head Covering ***
Women also showed modesty in this way. When Rebekah was about to meet Isaac, “she proceeded to take a headcloth and to cover herself,” evidently as a symbol of her subjection to him as the one who was to become her husband.—Ge 24:65

These terms in Greek indicate a "covering" a "mantle" or a "veil"  As when Paul set out the requirement that a woman have her head covered when praying or prophesying in the congregation.  The scriptures indicate that the woman's normal 'long hair' would be her head covering or 'veil' (outside the congregation) but more was needed inside the congregation.  If not covered, then Paul said she should have her hair (or locks) cut off as a sign of disgrace.  You can see the link between the "locks" and the "veil" or head covering.

In Genesis the Hebrew word Tsaiyph  is also rendered veil.  

*** it-1 p. 654 Dress ***
[Headdress] is different from the face veil, or covering, worn by Moses when his face shone so that the Israelites could not look upon it. (Ex 34:33-35; 2Co 3:13) Rebekah put on a headcloth when meeting Isaac, her espoused, to denote her subjection. (Ge 24:65) The Hebrew word tsa·ʽiphʹ, used here, is translated “shawl” (NW) and “veil” (AT, RS) at Genesis 38:14, 19.
*** it-1 p. 1053 Head Covering ***
Women also showed modesty in this way. When Rebekah was about to meet Isaac, “she proceeded to take a headcloth and to cover herself,” evidently as a symbol of her subjection to him as the one who was to become her husband.—Ge 24:65

These terms in Greek indicate a "covering" a "mantle" or a "veil"  As when Paul set out the requirement that a woman have her head covered when praying or prophesying in the congregation.  The scriptures indicate that the woman's normal 'long hair' would be her head covering or 'veil' (outside the congregation) but more was needed inside the congregation.  If not covered, then Paul said she should have her hair (or locks) cut off as a sign of disgrace.  You can see the link between the "locks" and the "veil" or head covering.

In nwt Ge 24:65 has been changed to 'veil', which is the tsaiph, coming from something you wrapped around your head like a shawl. The noun (לְצַמָּתֵ֑ךְ) in Ca 4:1 is trickier. According to Strong's, it's from a root meaning 'to fasten on'. It's was considered as something tied around your mouth or bound around your face. It's interesting how the old Hebrew pictography of this word seems to have to do with drinking water, thirst, and abstinence from water.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)