JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Share a Favorite quote

When I was in a pain management facility I would provide daily quotes to the other patients who were there. I also started to give them to all of the medical staff. Then I started giving them to the hotel staff. This was in addition to Witnessing to them.  One of the best quotes I shared with the group was this from Les Brown:

"Don't Let someone else's opinion of you, become your reality"

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

I like this one, it reminds me that I don't have to remember everything, just remember where to find it.

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it."
— Samuel Johnson 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I've always used this one in online forums as my signature  

"One out four people in this country are mentally unbalanced,

Think of your three closest friends... If they seem normal...

You're the "one!"

And before anyone accuses me of thinking that mental problems are funny, I dont really think that  it's just a joke.  And trust me I'm the "one" most of the time.  hahahaha

26 minutes ago, The Deej said:

I've always used this one in online forums as my signature  

"One out four people in this country are mentally unbalanced,

Think of your three closest friends... If they seem normal...

You're the "one!"

And before anyone accuses me of thinking that mental problems are funny, I dont really think that  it's just a joke.  And trust me I'm the "one" most of the time.  hahahaha

Agreed, however humor is a coping mechanism so it's common for people to joke about something serious, I personally don't find that offensive but some people do. I think the quote makes light of a common problem and I think it's funny. I also think it is inaccurate and a lot more people have some form of mental instability. I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse of that quote is more accurate, only one out of four people are presumably normal...

One of my favorite lines..

"I'm not crazy and I've got papers to prove it.."

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Maybe about a "reverse quote" - something many people say that maybe we shouldn't ....

How many times have you heard someone say (or perhaps you have said it) at the beginning of a sentence, "I don't think ..."

"That's right, you don't - perhaps you should" - my Mom

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Growing up in California, we had a swimming pool at our house, it was unheated but we kids didn't care, we'd swim year round if we could talk my folks into it. My mom would say the water was too cold and we'd counter with "but, you get used to it". Then my mom would end the discussion with her favorite quote:

"You'd get used to hanging if you hang long enough "

My kids are grown now and living on their own. I always tell them and especially my youngest daughter who's 21 that will call me 3 a.m. in the morning sometimes wanting to talk about something going on in their young marriage of 3 years. They live in Hawaii and there's a 6 hour difference in time. It could be something like "he like watching TV all the time and playing Play Station all day rather than talking to me" or it could be "he drank all the milk in the refrigerator and didn't save any for me" or it could be "he always want me to walk the dogs and take them outside when they have to go" and the list goes on and on and on...she's a very emotional kid that requires a lot of attention and if she doesn't get it from him she will cry, spend long hours on the phone with me or my wife talking until she's okay. I always leave her with this Quote at the in of our conversation:

" The only thing in Life we have control over are our thoughts nothing else, that's the only thing that will guide and protect us in Life is the control we have over our thoughts in dealing with human behavior"

I share that Quote with all of my kids because throughout my own experiences and journey through my own life and marriage I came to understand we have no control over another persons actions or how they may behave or treat us, we only have control over how we will respond to their behavior and actions. That has always been a compass for me throughout my life dealing with human behavior and how I respond to a persons actions and how they treat me.

21 minutes ago, Manny2186 said:

This is one of my favorites Turtle. "Mama always said Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get" Forrest Gump, one of my favorite movies.

People are like a box of chocolates, some are a little nutty on the inside...:)