JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dyslexia and memory

As a Kid i all ways  had a heard time remember Stuff like if my baby siter came over to my home and tolk me where they lived i would not member it 

or a math problem or a word or how to spell it 

This explain 95% of my childhood

Dyslexia. Contrary to popular misconception, Dyslexia is not only about literacy, although weaknesses in literacy are often the most visible sign. Dyslexia affects the way information is processed, stored and retrieved, with problems of memory, speed of processing, time perception, organisation and sequencing.

I got 28 of them  here are some common traits

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/signs-of-dyslexia/test-for-dyslexia-37-signs/

I know a brother that has a form of dyslexia. He and his brother both had this. They lived in one of the larger cities in the state. The school system they were in did not know how to handle their situation so, when they just quit going to school, the school system and the authorities did nothing.

With his limited education, this brother ended up starting his own business. He had learned how to weld and could do so quite well. So, he welded up some bins and started collecting scrap metal from some local businesses. He ended up getting enough business that he needed larger bins and a truck to move them around.

He also started collecting cardboard and paper. He welded up full sized bins for use on a "roll-off" truck. Before long he had over 200 bins for metal and over 400 bins for paper/cardboard. He did well enough that he was able to buy a building to work from and hire a few people to drive his trucks to collect the bins.

After several years of doing this he sold his business (there were some personal reasons and circumstances that made him want to move) for enough money that he was able to invest in some nice rental property (not houses - apartment buildings) in another large city. He later sold these and made enough profit that he does not need to work.

He ended up moving back up the state closer to where I live and he started making portable kitchens for use by RBC's. He worked through the Branch doing this for several years until the changes started to come that led to LDC.

Interesting thing is, even though he is an excellent welder, very knowledgeable in many areas and can drive equally well forwards and backwards (he tole me once that it all looked the same to him) and has been successful in business - it took him many years to be able to give student talks in the Congregation because he had great difficulties with reading.

Back when he was still doing the metal and paper recycling we used to receive the literature shipments at his warehouse. He would sometimes help us unload the literature he could not help us sort the boxes for the various Congregations to come pick up. This was one of the areas that his dyslexia caused him difficulty. He could not distinguish the various Congregation Numbers from each other - especially if they had some of the same numbers in them. He would see something like 714682, 647182 and 172546 all as the same number.

He never let it bother him. He knew what hings he could do to serve Jehovah and what he cannot do. He may never be a public speaker but he is very good at the door and in public witnessing.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Sorry to hear that about you Bobby. I know you struggle at times and all of us are saddened by our Brothers and Sisters problems. ..we pray for Gods Kingdom and the blessings it will bring us..

One of our Elders,  our Watchtower study conductor,  is dyslexic.  He is also a building contractor.  I have worked with him before and seen firsthand some of the things he struggled with.  

Won't it be nice when we are healthy again? !?...:D

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Very interesting Bobby. So hard in this system as it is, without having to struggle with this too in your childhood. Without knowledge of what you were going through, I bet the teachers gave you a hard time. But I never realised memory problems were involved too.

yes they did they told i was a faler and lazy that did wont to lean any thing 

I wonder if most of us have a bit of this. I have to concentrate on which is which with orange/yellow and gold/silver, I have to stop and make it a conscience thought and frequently get it wrong. And when I'm tired I cannot get a number straight to save my skin. Another thing I have always done is figure math in my head but couldn't tell you how or what method I used to find the answer. I think I've mentioned it before that as a child I used to be in trouble all the time because I couldn't show my work, was accused of cheating.  And yes I was a daydreamer and a wanderer. Was thought of and taunted as 'dingy' and 'airhead' . I just chalked it up to my wretched home life, like I needed to mentally escape. And I'm very tactile too, like the article says. I would seize up on a test but could show by example what the answers were.  

So perhaps many of us could qualify as being dyslexic. But dumb or stupid we are NOT! I'm with ya Bobby  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

11 minutes ago, bobby said:

yes they did they told i was a faler and lazy that did wont to lean any thing 

I am with you on this Bobby, my third grade teacher called me out before the class  as stupid, dumb, lazy,a slowpoke, or a dunce and  at times made me to sit in a corner on a stool for the other kids to ridicule.  (I will say this, the other kids did not belittle me, I think they were horrified.)

One time she hung a sign around my neck  that said "I AM STUPID" or LAZY, (I forget which.) We got into a physical battle when she said I had to wear it on recess, I won and didn't wear the sign ever again. She didn't like red haired freckle face JW kids, especially if they were stupid. :(

Fortunately for me I met a few good teachers and they helped me a lot. 

Six years later I was an honor student, same campus, I wonder if she took pride in educating me, probably not, I was till a red haired freckle JW kid. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I have dyslexia. No sense of direction. "Left" and, "right" are a struggle. .  Big struggle. Fun out in service. The friends have learned to point with me. When I am driving. Spelling? A real mess. Names that start with the same letter, I will mix up those folks, no matter how long I've known them. Sixes and nines? Confusion. Verbal directions? Spare me. G's, J's? A constant mix up.

Some thought process I cannot grasp. 

And, this one  is horrible. The harder I try not to do something, the more likely I am to do it. Like call someone by their right name. Things that most people don't struggle with. I'm always getting in trouble at home with this one! 

Even a common task, like shaking hands. Which hand? I'm always sticking out the wrong one. 

I had to teach myself to use a map. Car maps? They point the direction. That helps. Plus I am left handed. 

So, thinking hard and adjusting are just a part of my life. Always has been. 

I am old enough so, to my teachers, i was a problem. Or a challenge. Depending on their attitude. 

Fun, huh?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

12 hours ago, bobby said:

As a Kid i all ways  had a heard time remember Stuff like if my baby siter came over to my home and tolk me where they lived i would not member it 

or a math problem or a word or how to spell it 

This explain 95% of my childhood

Dyslexia. Contrary to popular misconception, Dyslexia is not only about literacy, although weaknesses in literacy are often the most visible sign. Dyslexia affects the way information is processed, stored and retrieved, with problems of memory, speed of processing, time perception, organisation and sequencing.

I got 28 of them  here are some common traits

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/signs-of-dyslexia/test-for-dyslexia-37-signs/

Heya Bobby, Ithink you do so very well in expressing yourself online ... I get you, (as do others).  Closely related to Dyslexia is Dyspraxia (there are different types of that as well) and again closely related to Dyspraxia is autism and similar conditions. Many who have either of the above conitions usually have ADD and ADHD along with them and are more often than not, males.

Dyspraxia can be confused for dyslexia sometimes, but it is more profound in the motor skills, dyspraxic children as with dyslexia are highly intelligent and process information just differently and some may argue more efficiently than others. It's the return of that information that is inhibited.  Dyspraxia also affects the ability to play sports that requires high co-ordination, the ability to function on a social level that is acceptable to others. (they may make a joke that is inappropriate or not applicable and think its funny, or they may talk about their fantasies as if it is real life). Dyspraxics are often fussy eaters because of the textures not the taste of the food - they cannot bear loud noises or certain materials like wool against their skin. One of the early signs is panicking if water gets on their faces.

On the up side, both Dyslexics and Dyspraxics can actually process information in 3D - artists process information in picture form, and others in word form ... but those who process in 3d are incredibly skilled at reading maps, plans and can manipulate the plans in their heads to pick up flaws or improve them without having to write them out on paper.  So of the cleverest people in history had dyslexia (and perhaps even dyspraxia as little was known about that until recently).

Suicides are high amongst Dyspraxic youth, because often the condition goes undiagnosed, and they know they are clever, but they also know they are not functioning as they should - this leads to bullying (what doesn't these days?) and subsequently suicides.  

My husband could not read or write before he came into the truth, but has a photographic memory, he remembers dates, numbers and facts that none of us can just off the top of his head. He can't take notes for his talks, so he memorizes them.

You, Bobby and anyone like you or like my husband who sticks in the truth despite hardships have both my love and my respect.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 hours ago, Stormswift said:

So of the cleverest people in history had dyslexia (and perhaps even dyspraxia as little was known about that until recently).

This is an oddly worded statement.

If you meant "Some of the cleverest people in history ..." - this could be true.

If you meant "So the cleverest people in history ...." - that would be a broad statement and I would question it's validity. To say that ALL clever people have either dyslexia and/or dyspraxia does not seem likely.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

My husband could not read or write before he came into the truth, but has a photographic memory, he remembers dates, numbers and facts that none of us can just off the top of his head. He can't take notes for his talks, so he memorizes them.

You, Bobby and anyone like you or like my husband who sticks in the truth despite hardships have both my love and my respect.

(I didn't want to post the entire post but I mean the entire post) - 

Sister Mandi........your post #11 is one of the most interesting I have read.  I learned a lot in that comment and understand why a grandchild may have certain problems.  Thank you.

Bobby, you are a brave brother, and we so enjoy your comments on the forum.  

Cheryl, Sister Bagwell, "Another thing I have always done is figure math in my head but couldn't tell you how or what method I used to find the answer".... I love this comment.  When I was in nursing school we learned a different math - I did the same as you.  I figured it out in my head but could not write the method!   One particular  instructor stayed furious w/me!!  

Thank you all for your comments.  Very interesting to me.  

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

This is an oddly worded statement.

If you meant "Some of the cleverest people in history ..." - this could be true.

If you meant "So the cleverest people in history ...." - that would be a broad statement and I would question it's validity. To say that ALL clever people have either dyslexia and/or dyspraxia does not seem likely.

It's called a typo brother John thanks for pointing it out. Ironic in a thread about dyslexia huh?

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 9:17 PM, tekmantwo said:

I really wanted to tease you a bit about throwing in the left handed part(me too:wave:) but I just can't seem to come up with anything. ..oh well,  maybe next time .

Yeah but you were a great first baseman. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Emma is dyslexic. When we first starting seeing each other she said that she was having trouble remembering left and right. As she was always in the passenger seat (left) and I was always driving I said to her "Remember, Chris is always right." So now she has to say that to herself every time I say something like "The cup on the right." :D

(Of course I've learned since then that I'm pretty much always wrong so it's kinda backfired!)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13