JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

mine was semi-automatic.

It wasn't there when I opened the WTL - but I was using it off-and-on during the day and had left it "open" - the box popped up when I was using the library so I just clicked "OK" and it worked.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure why the Aid book have been added.  WT Library has publications going back to 1970, and 1950 for WTs.  The Aid book was published in 1971, so I guess for the sake of completeness, or for transparency, it is now included.

The 1989 YPA was removed after the revised Volume 1 was released in 2011.  The same happened with the Greatest Man book was removed after the release of Jesus-The Way, but that was restored soon after.  The 1989 YPA does contain material not in the revised edition.

Tracts 71 and 72 are still missing, but I think these were removed for another reason.

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

I use mine every day.  The indexes are awesome.  References back to 1935...♥️

Same here, often many time in a day. I find it frustrating to look for specific information using WOL.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I'm not sure why the Aid book have been added.  WT Library has publications going back to 1970, and 1950 for WTs.  The Aid book was published in 1971, so I guess for the sake of completeness, or for transparency, it is now included.

The 1989 YPA was removed after the revised Volume 1 was released in 2011.  The same happened with the Greatest Man book was removed after the release of Jesus-The Way, but that was restored soon after.  The 1989 YPA does contain material not in the revised edition.

Tracts 71 and 72 are still missing, but I think these were removed for another reason.

Aid to Bible Understanding is available in the WOL as well. Aid to Bible Understanding https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=ad&srctype=wol&srcid=share
I use mine every day.  The indexes are awesome.  References back to 1935...

The WOL Index goes back to 1930....

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

Aid to Bible Understanding is available in the WOL as well. Aid to Bible Understanding https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&pub=ad&srctype=wol&srcid=share
The WOL Index goes back to 1930....

Thank you.  The WTL regular index goes back to 1930 as well.  The mistake was entirely mine.

I can't help but feel that the digital editions of the index needs editing.  Unless you are one of the few people with access to those older publications, its pointless and a little annoying to see references to articles you can't read.  So either edit and remove the reference to publications not included in the library, or better still, an option to show/hide those references.

13 hours ago, Old said:

Same here, often many time in a day. I find it frustrating to look for specific information using WOL.

I agree. Another thing I have noticed is that WTLib has a way to tempt you to move from one reading to another. You have one thing to research, but you find yourself reading more and more other things. It's quite easy too.

1 hour ago, TRUTH04 said:

But those old publications are greyed out. Do you have a way to read them?

It's good to have your own library.
You can also use the Kingdom Hall library.
Then there are some online collections for very old literature.
You can also ask here on JW Talk if you need anything specific.

2 hours ago, TRUTH04 said:

I have scanned copies of most of the publications so I can read them.  Having the specific reference in the index helps me find them easier.

For references earlier than 1930 (like a Watchtower from 1890), I will pull up the PDF for that year and use the PDF "find" button and type in the search word.  the program will search the entire year for me.

Usually you will have to find hardware copies, but most referenced material is available in our digital libraries anyway,

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

18 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have scanned copies of most of the publications so I can read them.  Having the specific reference in the index helps me find them easier.

For references earlier than 1930 (like a Watchtower from 1890), I will pull up the PDF for that year and use the PDF "find" button and type in the search word.  the program will search the entire year for me.

Wooow, I wish I had that. Can it be shared?

3 hours ago, TRUTH04 said:

Wooow, I wish I had that. Can it be shared?

It would depend on your personal view of sharing scanned images of publications.  But the total accumulated size of the project is massive.  It amounts to 60-70 Gigabytes of material.  Way to much to send by electronic means.  you could load a portable hard drive and transport it (that is how I moved to to my new computer.

This is a collection that I started in the late 1980's and have upgraded and added to since then.

If you just need a copy of the 1891 Watchtowers, that could be done.

Edited by jwhess