JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

On 9/11/2020 at 6:47 PM, Qapla said:

It should be noted that the current WTL cannot be used as an "independent program" simply "run" from a USB drive - it must be "installed" on the PC to run ... that can be done with a USB drive.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:13 AM, Myew said:

*randomly perusing threads*
Actually, you can run a Windows 10 live installation off of a USB drive, in which case you can technically install and run WTL off of the USB or SD Card. But that's rather messy and involves Windows licenses. It is also possible to run a Linux Live ISO off of USB/SD, using Wine to run Windows apps and install WTL there. You may want to try this with an OS such as MX Linux which is specifically oriented towards stability and functioning as a portable personal OS that you can boot up on any computer. https://mxlinux.org/
*sees myself out*

you can make a portable version of watchtower library program without the need of any installation, so executable from an usb drive on any pc 

I had a portable version like that on my work pc which doesn't allow the installation of any program without administrative privileges 

However it's not an easy thing to do, but you can ask a friend to do it if you can't do it yourself -> check here

3 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

you can make a portable version of watchtower library program without the need of any installation, so executable from an usb drive on any pc 

I had a portable version like that on my work pc which doesn't allow the installation of any program without administrative privileges 

However it's not an easy thing to do, but you can ask a friend to do it if you can't do it yourself -> check here

Thanks for the interesting program.

Does it mean that each time there is an update for WT Lib you have to generate a new portable executable file?

3 hours ago, MikeyRo said:

Update 2006 also includes an updated Watchtower Library build and an update to the MEPS Platform components, for the first time in 3 years!

What does that mean?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 7/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, More4me2do said:

the search feature in WT Library is by far the best. If I want to find something on jw.org I open up the Google search engine and type into it the search criteria followed by jw.org. The match will be within the first few ones.

I still much prefer the Watchtower Library for research than JW Library.

52 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Thanks for the interesting program.

Does it mean that each time there is an update for WT Lib you have to generate a new portable executable file?

No. just download the update package and import it to the program without doing any further instalations

26 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

I still much prefer the Watchtower Library for research than JW Library.

I thought that also but if you try google search you'll notice several improvements, namely the very important fact that google corrects the spelling wile searching and no jw application does that - You have to write exactly how it is spelled. This is even more important in languages like Portuguese that use accented letters, like "ã, ä, á â", etc...

Also, on wol you can search for images which  (afaik) doesn't work on the dvd

Check this posts where I talk about how to use google to search wol

1 minute ago, jwhess said:

You can restrict your WTL search to the Bible also.  When searching the word, just select "Bible" from the list and don't search all "Publications".

wtl.JPG

Yes I know, but the ability to search without me worrying with the spelling (spetially in English) is invaluable to me. I which our apps had this feature...

If I'm not sure of the spelling I use Google to help me search WTL

Simple steps:

• type the word I'm not sure how to spell into my Google search bar
  • Google will correct the spelling
  • Copy the word
  • Paste it into the WTL search bar

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

Update was fast with no problems  :thumbsup: 

image.png.be85a09a53a33a0273631d1db845419c.png

Same here.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

If I'm not sure of the spelling I use Google to help me search WTL

Simple steps:

• type the word I'm not sure how to spell into my Google search bar
  • Google will correct the spelling
  • Copy the word
  • Paste it into the WTL search bar

That's double the work :) just continue on google to complete your search 😉

2 hours ago, jayrtom said:

That's double the work :) just continue on google to complete your search 😉

Since I prefer using WTL to do my research - it is not really "double the work" ... especially since I usually don't have that much trouble with spelling.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

43 minutes ago, MikeyRo said:

It means that in addition to publication updates, the software has also been updated (previously the last version, build 7632, was dated November 2017; the current build 9575 is dated September 2020).

Did you notice any visible difference on the user interface or anywhere else? (I don't have wtl installed at the moment)

8 hours ago, Qapla said:

Since I prefer using WTL to do my research - it is not really "double the work" ... especially since I usually don't have that much trouble with spelling.

Yes, I understand you're case. On mine, the majority of searches I do on a pc are in english, so the main issue I have woth spelling. But most of the time I search on mobile which has the only solution of wol, for each the google workaround comes in handy, whatever the language 😉

Edited by jayrtom

24 minutes ago, Hinata said:

There does not seem to be any difference. But the copyright date for the program has been updated to 2020. (Previously 2017.)

It's interesting that there are now instructions to trow away any version of the WT Library older than 2017 🤔

Edited by jayrtom

I have a minor issue with Watchtower Library in all three language editions I use: Often when I click on a reference, the page looks blank, as is the text were the same color as the background. I need to select the text and then I can see it. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. I haven't been able to identify what triggers it. And I don't know if this is something particular to my computer or it happens to more people.

With the new update this hasn't happened to me yet. So maybe it's a bug and has been fixed. Not a big deal anyway.

2 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

It's interesting that there are now instructions to trow away any version of the WT Library older than 2017 🤔

Where are those, Joao?

2 minutes ago, carlos said:

I have a minor issue with Watchtower Library in all three language editions I use: Often when I click on a reference, the page looks blank, as is the text were the same color as the background. I need to select the text and then I can see it. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. I haven't been able to identify what triggers it. And I don't know if this is something particular to my computer or it happens to more people.

With the new update this hasn't happened to me yet. So maybe it's a bug and has been fixed. Not a big deal anyway.

Where are those, Joao?

It is in the list about literature to be trow away. One of the items is the 2017 editions of wt library and older ones Its normal that from time to time older literature is to be disregarded. What caught my attention was the 2017 year after reading about this new update

Edited by jayrtom

7 hours ago, MikeyRo said:

It means that in addition to publication updates, the software has also been updated (previously the last version, build 7632, was dated November 2017; the current build 9575 is dated September 2020).

I hope that resolves some of the problems some are having with updates.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 hours ago, jayrtom said:

It is in the list about literature to be trow away. One of the items is the 2017 editions of wt library and older ones Its normal that from time to time older literature is to be disregarded. What caught my attention was the 2017 year after reading about this new update

Thanks, João. I hadn't realized we have received a new list of publications to discard.

• 1 month later...