JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library on DVD

As a reminder: the number only indicates the year of the update and the consecutive number of the update that year.  So 2003 means it is the 3rd update in the year 2020.  The French 2005 just means they had more adjustments to their literature in 2020.  It is not an "edition" number in the sense that English stopped printing in 2000 and someone else ordered a newer version (like the 1984 edition Reference Bible and the 2013 edition Study Bible).

the search feature in WT Library is by far the best. If I want to find something on jw.org I open up the Google search engine and type into it the search criteria followed by jw.org. The match will be within the first few ones.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

• 5 weeks later...

The Watchtower Library (DVD) has just updated to build 2004. 

My auto update tried to load and froze the whole program.  so I tried the download update package and it refused to load (I assume because the WT Library was frozen).  I downloaded the ISO file, it removed the WTL and installed the new copy.  when I opened it, it wanted to update to 2002.  When it was done, I opened the program ant it said I had the 2004 update waiting.  I said OK and now it is done.

update2004.JPG

Edited by jwhess

23 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The Watchtower Library (DVD) has just updated to build 2004. 

My auto update tried to load and froze the whole program.  so I tried the download update package and it refused to load (I assume because the WT Library was frozen).  I downloaded the ISO file, it removed the WTL and installed the new copy.  when I opened it, it wanted to update to 2002.  When it was done, I opened the program ant it said I had the 2004 update waiting.  I said OK and now it is done.

update2004.JPG

Sorry for the error "build" 2004.  It is the 'update" 2004.  The edit was timed out and I could not change it.  It is still build 7632...🙂

2 hours ago, Musky said:

Thanks for the heads-up John!

Fortunately, mine updated automatically without an issue. 

WTlib2004.JPG.a4a80ec921ccdaa4b7e4d87e97e538d5.JPG

Mine has always updated automatically before.  I was in the middle of some research when it notified me of the update.  I should have closed out the program and went back in and tried the update.  But I just said "OK" and it started.  Then I got an error box highlighted in red.  When I left the library, I could not get back into it even without the update.  I just kept getting the same error.  When I tried the JW.ORG update package, it would not install either (automatically or manually).  I think it hit the same "error" wall I was getting.  Fortunately, the ISO installation worked well.  I removed the old program and then installed the entire new one.  Two updates later, I am working fine.

3 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I had the same problem as John (@Qapla) had. There was no update available earlier today,  but it found it now. It installed okay.

So it seems that you, John (@jwhess), are the only one who had a problem with the install. Hopefully that'll be the last problem you have with it. >:D<

Yes, indeed.  I think the problem was of my own making.  I should have had more patience and exited properly before saying "OK"...🙄

Although I had to jump through hoops to get the last update, this one went off without a hitch for some reason.  I was so relieved that the program finally downloaded and installed an update without telling me it had "failed" to install!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Skyler said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as a portable version of WL or WOL? One that could be viewed offline via USB on a PC? I have no idea if it's even possible, thank you for the help if you can!

A long time ago you could run it off the CD disk.  I have seen it installed on a portable hard drive (again a long time ago).  In the manual installation there used to be a point where the setup program asked about where you wanted it installed.  But I have not seen or heard of these choices recently.  Sorry, no information.

6 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have seen it installed on a portable hard drive

It would have been possible back when it allowed running on DVD drives, since DVD drives running does not need installing the program. But it may not be possible now.

Watchtower Library of now constitutes many “local” files in your computer, and lots of registry information, which essentially requires proper installation process, in order to correctly work.

7 hours ago, jwhess said:

In the manual installation there used to be a point where the setup program asked about where you wanted it installed.

I can confirm this still exists, the set up program ask you where you want it to be installed. I have the program installed on my D:\ drive, which is immovable.

But if you install it to a USB drive, and put that drive onto another computer where the installation has not happened, the computer may not correctly identify the program, since technically no installation has ever happened on that PC.

26 minutes ago, Hinata said:

It would have been possible back when it allowed running on DVD drives, since DVD drives running does not need installing the program. But it may not be possible now.

Watchtower Library of now constitutes many “local” files in your computer, and lots of registry information, which essentially requires proper installation process, in order to correctly work.

I can confirm this still exists, the set up program ask you where you want it to be installed. I have the program installed on my D:\ drive, which is immovable.

But if you install it to a USB drive, and put that drive onto another computer where the installation has not happened, the computer may not correctly identify the program, since technically no installation has ever happened on that PC.

If you need a dvd drive they are realtively in expensive, they plug into your USB port.  $25 on ebay should do it.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

7 hours ago, Skyler said:

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering, is there such a thing as a portable version of WL or WOL? One that could be viewed offline via USB on a PC? I have no idea if it's even possible, thank you for the help if you can!

The WT Library does not require internet access after it is installed. JWLibrary will eventually replace Watchtower Online and it doesn't require internet access after it is installed.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D