JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How Drinking Tea May Change Your Genes

http://time.com/4803382/drinking-tea-health-benefits/?xid=homepage

Tea has been linked to numerous health benefits, from a reduced risk of heart attacks and high blood pressure to potential protection against certain cancers. Now, a study suggests that the biological effects of the beverage may extend to the genetic level: Drinking tea might change how DNA is expressed, which could play a role in disease susceptibility and overall health.

Behavior or environment can trigger chemical modifications in the body that affect which genes are turned on and off, the study of which is known as epigenetics. In the new study, published in Human Molecular Genetics, tea drinking for women was associated with epigenetic changes in 28 different gene regions known to interact with cancer or estrogen metabolism.

Coffee, on the other hand, was not associated with epigenetic changes—suggesting that while both beverages are rich in antioxidants and seem to have health benefits, they may affect the body in different ways. These changes were also not seen in men who drank tea. This could be because tea affects women differently (through estrogen-related pathways), the authors say, or because there were fewer male tea drinkers in the study, making it more difficult to find a significant association.

I'm not sure that drinking tea has any bearing at all on how I change my pants .................. OH! Wait! it says GENES, not Jeans:eek:

I can't really comment on the study but, I can say this - I cannot drink much tea. I used to drink iced tea (unsweetened) for lunch most days back in the 1980's. Then I started having some problems. As the afternoon progressed I would get some pains in various muscles. It was like getting multiple "charlie horses" off-and-on. I came to find out that it was the tannins that is in tea. Seems it becomes cumulative, thus the reason for the "knotting" of my muscles. Unfortunately, tea is full of tannins :(

I still like tea and occasionally will drink it .... but, not on a regular basis. It is a shame, really, since tea is thought to reduce blood pressure and help fight cancer - both of which I have/had to deal with.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Unfortunately, tea is full of tannins

You can get tannin-free tea though, at least in the UK.

I have no idea if the removal process is just as bad though (like many people suggest happens with decaf coffee.)

It's bigger on the inside!

I like a single cup of coffee in the morning and if I need more than one cup I'll have a cup of strong black tea with cream and sugar. I really like a good Irish Breakfast Tea however I have noticed acquiring a wee accent since I started drinking it...:D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I worked with a guy who was drinking some tea from his thermos when, for no reason, he squeezed the cup and it jumped a few inches in the air. He then proceeded to dry his lap up against a radiator like Mr Bean.

Dont know if that helps.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

1 hour ago, Musky said:

I missed John's similar comment above, sorry John.

At least I'm not the only one :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~